Turbo Alcohol class in BG

Razor

Forum tech Advisor
Staff member
2006 Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class Rules – T/A
Official 01-09-06

Race Class Objectives

The G.S.C.A. would like to see the return of a reasonable, grassroots, regular-guy shootout of legitimate street driven Turbo Buick or Pontiac Turbo Tran-Am cars. This race class is being developed to show the potential/benefits that alcohol injection systems when used with 92/93 octane unleaded premium pump gas can have when installed on a Buick Turbo Regal, Grand National/GNX or Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am.
*This race class is being run on a trial basis for the 2006 GS Nationals only.

What Can I Win

An award will be presented to the entrant that post the most consistent e.t. based on a three (3) run average of the three (3) quarter-mile passes. Awards will also be given to the entrant(s) who posts the quickest quarter-mile elapsed time (e.t.) and fastest quarter-mile mile-per-hour trap speed. In the event of a tie in average e.t., average mph will be used as a tie-breaker.

General Rules

· Unleaded 92/93 octane pump gasoline fuel only, no nitrous oxide injection, no additives i.e. xzylene, nitro-propane, nitro-methane, propylene oxide, etc. are allowed.
· Any street driven 1984, 1985, 1986 or 1987 Buick Turbo Regal, Grand National/GNX or 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am powered by a General Motors production turbo charged Buick V6 engine, (cylinder block casting number(s) 25520040, 25520329 or 25526109 only) and equipped with a functioning alcohol injection system are eligible to enter.
· ***All vehicles depending on the year of manufacture must use the factory stock ignition system.
· All cars racing in the Turbo Heads-Up racing classes must be owned and driven by a current member of the G.S.C.A..
· Helmet required, cars must pass track safety tech inspection.
· Cars should possess all applicable safety equipment for potential ET/speeds attained.
· No peer technical inspections relating to safety equipment rules by class participants or peers, Beech Bend Raceway track safety technician personnel will make all rulings on track safety equipment related items.
· Complete factory stock appearing, painted Buick Turbo Regal, Grand National/GNX or Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am body is required, no non-factory hood scoop, rear spoiler, wheelie bars or parachute.
· Minimum car weight w/driver must be at least 3,450lbs.
· Required street-legal equipment: all 4 working headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, horn, windshield wipers and safety-glass windows.
· Full stock appearing interior required, race seats are allowed only if seats are painted and upholstered to match the factory interior and should be attached to the rear crossbar of the roll cage if so equipped.
· All factory heater and A/C equipment must be in place and functional.
· Any transmission shifter allowed, any additional aftermarket gauges allowed.
· Stock ECM, modified stock ECM or aftermarket fuel management systems allowed, (DFI, FAST, Motec, etc).
· Factory Stock Appearing (Type I or Type II) DIS cam position sensor is required for cars produced in the years 1986, 1987 and 1989.
· No individual coil per spark plug ignitions allowed.
· Any MAF sensor is acceptable. All intake air must pass through & be measured by the MAF sensor.
· Any fuel injectors allowed, 6 maximum.
· Factory stock fuel tank required, addition of a fuel tank sump is allowed.
· No auxiliary or trunk mounted dual fuel systems are allowed. The gasoline fuel source must come from the stock location fuel tank only.
· Alcohol injection system injection point must be plumbed into the air intake system “up-pipe” only on 1986, 1987 and 1989 built cars.
· Any stock location or front mount air to air intercooler is allowed.
· No liquid intercoolers, intercooler external spray cooling or add-on cold boxes allowed.
· Any diameter downpipe size from the turbo is allowed. Downpipe must be routed down through the stock location, no flex pipe allowed.
· Any single or dual exhaust system allowed, it must muffle & exit at the stock location(s). All exhaust gases released from the engine must pass through muffler(s) at all times. Cars may not be uncorked in any way during competition.
· Any matched set of four (4), 15” or 16” diameter chrome steel or aluminum wheels allowed.
· Rear drag slicks w/sidewall designation up to and including 28.0” x 10.5” –15” and 28.0” x 10.0” -16”. No "W" tires allowed. Rear DOT street tires w/sidewall designation up to and including a 29.5” x 12.5” –15” or (275/60-15 M/T) and 28.0” x 12.5” –16” size tires are allowed. Drag Radials are also allowed.
· Drive shaft safety loop required.
· Automated brakes or any type of traction control is prohibited. Application and release of brakes must be a function of the driver's foot. Line loc permitted.
· Racing aids such as optical sensors, delay boxes, stutter boxes, and throttle stops are not allowed. The application or use of any device, mechanical or electronic that permits the driver to ascertain the position of their vehicle in relation to the starting line is prohibited.
· Winner(s) are subject to re-tech immediately after final pass or at any other time.
· Any entrant caught trying to deliberately break the rules will be disqualified.
· Cars entered in the Turbo Alcohol (T/A) class are also eligible and may register to race in the bracket classes on Saturday.

Pre-Race Technical Inspection Requirements/Instructions

All pre-registered entrant’s cars shall assemble as a group to be tech inspected based on the General Rules established above. The technical inspection location shall be at the GS Nationals host hotel parking lot on Thursday, May 18, 2006 beginning at 9:00 am and ending at 10:30 am. Entrant’s cars must arrive at tech inspection with the gasoline fuel tank at or near empty. Each entrant’s fuel tank must be able to accommodate a minimum of 10 gallons of 92/93 octane pump gas during the filling procedure. ***NOTE: Each entrant’s gasoline fuel tank must not contain ANY leaded racing fuel or additives such as xzylene, ect! See Race Day Format below. After the tech inspection, under the supervision of the Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class Tech Inspector all cars will be driven as a group or in groups to a designated gas station where each entrant’s fuel tank will be fueled with 92/93 octane unleaded premium pump gasoline at the entrant’s expense. After the tech inspection and fueling, entrants are free to proceed to the track and make as many quarter-mile passes as necessary to tune their cars prior to the first of the three (3) officially timed quarter-mile passes to be held on Friday evening, May 19th. ***NOTE: NO ADDITONAL GASOLINE FUEL MAY BE ADDED OR REMOVED FROM THE CAR’S FUEL SYSTEM BY ANY MEANS AFTER BEING FUELED AT THE TECH INSPECTION.

Race Day Event Technical Inspection Requirements/Instructions

Prior to the first round pass, all Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class entrants will assemble in the Beech Bend circle track staging lanes for a brief drivers meeting; each entrant’s alcohol injection system reservoir must be completely drained of all contents. At that time, the Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class Tech Inspection Director will witness each entrant fill their reservoir with alcohol i.e., methanol, isopropyl, denatured, etc. from a commercially available, marked, un-opened/sealed alcohol container. Alcohol injection system pump lubricant from a commercially marked, un-opened/sealed container may also be added at this time if needed. After the reservoir is filled, no further additions will be permitted during the three (3) round quarter-mile passes. All cars must return directly to the circle track staging lanes after each pass. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from the event.

Race Day Format

Dragstrip race format will be random pairings of side-by-side runs on a sportsman tree. Driver lane choice will not be allowed. The Event Race Director reserves the right to conduct single-lane passes in the event of a condition that prevents the use of one lane. Following the completion of each run, competitors must return immediately and directly to the circle track staging lanes until three passes are complete and after their final pass. Entrants unable to complete three passes will be listed as DNF and any entrant returning to their pit before the end of the event will be disqualified.

WARNING: ***Gasoline and alcohol fuel samples will be taken at random from entrant’s fuel system during the timed runs and from the three top award winners and runner-up at the conclusion of the timed third pass. These samples will be analyzed for lead content and octane rating. Any entrant’s gasoline sample found to contain lead or have an octane rating that is above rule specifications will be disqualified and will forfeit all awards.

Guess the cats out of the bag :wink:

Guys ready :eek:

Let the trash talking begin :biggrin:

I'm out... too many rules to read for me :)

... have fun though folks!

Aftermarket fuel management allowed, but functional MAF required? Seems odd...

Looks like fun though! :)

Eric

Ive been waiting for you to post better than the 10.55
i'll soon be putting one of your dual nozzles kits on the 86 , so better step it up :)

finally glad to see some acceptance of the alky since its usage is growing rapidly

thought it might be fun but lost me with all those rules :)

so ac delete is non acceptable even if the min weight is met? and since all cars were a/c that would make the heater only conversion a no no ?.

there goes the 86
as far as the 87 I would still be good and should be in the 11s on the stock turbo but then you lost me here :(

· All cars racing in the Turbo Heads-Up racing classes must be owned and driven by a current member of the G.S.C.A..

, award based on consistent runs which basically reads its a time trial style running , correct ?, make three runs and bring your slips for determining winner , sounds ok but then why call it heads up racing otr is this not heads up so no **** mebership required , just come and have fun ?

and then this

Prior to the first round pass, all Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class entrants will assemble in the Beech Bend circle track staging lanes for a brief drivers meeting; each entrant’s alcohol injection system reservoir must be completely drained of all contents. At that time, the Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class Tech Inspection Director will witness each entrant fill their reservoir with alcohol i.e., methanol, isopropyl, denatured, etc. from a commercially available, marked, un-opened/sealed alcohol container. Alcohol injection system pump lubricant from a commercially marked, un-opened/sealed container may also be added at this time if needed. After the reservoir is filled, no further additions will be permitted during the three (3) round quarter-mile passes. All cars must return directly to the circle track staging lanes after each pass. Failure to do so will result in disqualification from the event.

as i read it i if i wanted to run meth I would need to carry with me my own sealed 5 gallon drum of VP methanol and open it just to compete for that day or would there be some dispensing at the track from an "accepted" drum

i agree with the 92-93 octane point because it is to see what can be done on everyday avalible pump gas but what are you afraid they will put in the alky tank ? so that means no mixing with water like many do ? , i say let em put whetever they want in the alky tank jug as you would do anyway if you ran on the street ,

Personally I suggested it be a drag radial class, small shaft turbo, etc to keep the game cleaner. I also didnt care what was in the alky tank as long as it was clear. methanol in a 5 gallon drum.. cha ching $$$..

Oh well.. i'm game.. Anything to have participation and next year have changes made.. we have our cake.. lets see bout getting a piece..

No limitation on turbo size.. can run slicks.. weigh 3450.. its a 9 second class.

Now does the AC need to blow cold? :biggrin:

Now Paul.. i've been sandbaggin ;) .. Dont want to scare anyone :rolleyes:

Phil.. no rules.. just show up and line it up..

Razor said:
No limitation on turbo size.. can run slicks.. weigh 3450.. its a 9 second class.
I agree. Especially since they allow slicks and only have to weigh 3450lbs with driver. Maybe some 9.60's?

Eric Stage I said:
Aftermarket fuel management allowed, but functional MAF required? Seems odd...

Eric

Can we get a ruling.........?

What's wrong with individual coil ignitions.....?

If you're allowing aftermarket ECM's its quickly getting away from a "reasonable, grassroots, regular-guy shootout".

With 9 second potential, just call it "Alky Outlaw" and get on with it.

Bob

I guess forcing the use of a MAF would rule out most of the aftermarket ECM's anyway.

Julio, were you planning on racing in this class?

Eric

New rules :)

2006 Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class Rules – T/A
Official 01-20-06

Race Class Objectives

The G.S.C.A. would like to see the return of a reasonable, grassroots, regular-guy shootout of legitimate street driven Turbo Buick or Pontiac Turbo Tran-Am cars. This race class is being developed to show the potential/benefits that alcohol injection systems when used with 92/93 octane unleaded premium pump gas can have when installed on a Buick Turbo Regal, Grand National/GNX or Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am.
*This race class is being run on a trial basis for the 2006 GS Nationals only and may become a regular class thereafter.

What Can I Win

The first award will be presented to the entrant that posts the most consistent e.t. based on an average of the best two (2) out of three (3) quarter-mile passes. The second award be given to the entrant who posts the quickest quarter-mile elapsed time (e.t.) and the third award will be presented to the entrant who posts the fastest quarter-mile per-hour trap speed. In the event of a tie in average e.t., average mph will be used as a tie-breaker. Entrants will make a minimum of three (3) and a maximum of five (5) official passes during the event.

General Rules

· All cars racing in the Turbo Heads-Up racing classes must be owned and driven by a current member of the ****.
· Unleaded 92/93 octane pump gasoline fuel only, no nitrous oxide injection, no additives, i.e. xzylene, nitro-propane, nitro-methane, propylene oxide, etc.
· Any street driven 1984, 1985, 1986 or 1987 Buick Turbo Regal, Grand National/GNX or 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am powered by a General Motors production turbo charged Buick V6 engine, (cylinder block casting number(s) 25520040, 25520329 or 25526109 only) and equipped with a functioning alcohol injection system are eligible to enter.
· No Stage II steel or aluminum cylinder heads allowed.
· ***All vehicles depending on the year of manufacture must use the factory stock ignition system.
· All cars racing in the Turbo Heads-Up racing classes must be owned and driven by a current member of the ****.
· Helmet required, cars must pass track safety tech inspection.
· Cars should possess all applicable safety equipment for potential ET/speeds attained.
· No peer technical inspections relating to safety equipment rules by class participants or peers, Beech Bend Raceway track safety technician personnel will make all rulings on track safety equipment related items.
· Complete factory stock appearing, painted Buick Turbo Regal, Grand National/GNX or Pontiac Turbo Trans-Am body is required, no non-factory hood scoop, rear spoiler, wheelie bars or parachute.
· Minimum car weight w/driver must be at least 3,500lbs.
· Required street-legal equipment: all 4 working headlights, taillights, brake lights, turn signals, horn, windshield wipers and safety-glass windows.
· Full stock appearing interior required, race seats are allowed only if seats are painted and upholstered to match the factory interior and should be attached to the rear crossbar of the roll cage if so equipped.
· Any transmission shifter allowed, any additional aftermarket gauges allowed.
· Stock ECM or modified stock ECM only, no aftermarket fuel management systems allowed, (DFI, FAST, Motec, speed density, etc).
· Any MAF sensor is acceptable. All intake air must pass through & be measured by the MAF sensor.
· Factory Stock Appearing (Type I or Type II) DIS cam position sensor is required for cars produced in the years 1986, 1987 and 1989.
· No individual coil per spark plug ignitions allowed.
· Any fuel injectors allowed, 6 maximum.
· Factory stock fuel tank required, addition of a fuel tank sump is allowed.
· No auxiliary or trunk mounted dual fuel systems are allowed. The gasoline fuel source must come from the stock location fuel tank only.
· Alcohol injection system injection point must be plumbed into the air intake system “up-pipe” only on 1986, 1987 and 1989 built cars.
· Any stock location or front mount air to air intercooler is allowed.
· No liquid intercoolers, intercooler external spray cooling or add-on cold boxes allowed.
· One (1) TA series or TE series, 3-bolt turbo required. Maximum 67mm compressor wheel, Inlet bore maximum 67.5mm. Must be in the stock location/orientation.
· Any diameter downpipe size from the turbo is allowed. Downpipe must be routed down through the stock location, no flex pipe allowed.
· Any single or dual exhaust system allowed, it must muffle & exit at the stock location(s). All exhaust gases released from the engine must pass through the muffler(s) at all times. Cars may not be uncorked in any way during competition.
· Any matched set of four (4), 15” or 16” diameter chrome steel or aluminum wheels allowed.
· Rear drag slicks w/sidewall designation up to and including 28.0” x 10.5” –15” and 28.0” x 10.0” -16”. No "W" tires allowed. Rear DOT street tires w/sidewall designation up to and including a 29.5” x 12.5” –15” or (275/60-15 M/T) and 28.0” x 12.5” –16” size tires are allowed. Drag Radials are also allowed.
· Drive shaft safety loop required.
· Automated brakes or any type of traction control is prohibited. Application and release of brakes must be a function of the driver's foot. Line loc permitted.
· Racing aids such as optical sensors, delay boxes, stutter boxes, and throttle stops are not allowed. The application or use of any device, mechanical or electronic that permits the driver to ascertain the position of their vehicle in relation to the starting line is prohibited.
· Winner(s) are subject to re-tech immediately after final pass or at any other time.
· Any entrant caught trying to deliberately break the rules will be disqualified.
· Cars entered in the Turbo Alcohol (T/A) class are also eligible and may register to race in the bracket classes on Saturday.

Pre-Race Technical Inspection Requirements/Instructions

All pre-registered entrant’s cars shall assemble as a group to be tech inspected based on the General Rules established above. The technical inspection location shall be at the GS Nationals host hotel parking lot on Thursday, May 18, 2006 beginning at 9:00 am and ending at 10:30 am. Entrant’s cars must arrive at tech inspection with the gasoline fuel tank at or near empty. Each entrant’s fuel tank must be able to accommodate a minimum of 10 gallons of 92/93 octane pump gas during the filling procedure. ***NOTE: Each entrant’s gasoline fuel tank must not contain ANY leaded racing fuel or additives such as xzylene, ect! See Race Day Format below. After the tech inspection, under the supervision of the Turbo/Alcohol Injection Class Tech Inspector all cars will be driven as a group or in groups to a designated gas station where each entrant’s fuel tank will be fueled with 92/93 octane unleaded premium pump gasoline at the entrant’s expense. After the tech inspection and fueling, entrants are free to proceed to the track and make as many quarter-mile passes as necessary to tune their cars prior to the first of the three (3) officially timed quarter-mile passes to be held on Friday evening, May 19th. ***NOTE: NO ADDITONAL GASOLINE FUEL MAY BE ADDED OR REMOVED FROM THE CAR’S FUEL SYSTEM BY ANY MEANS AFTER BEING FUELED AT THE TECH INSPECTION.
Race Day Event Technical Inspection Requirements/Instructions

Race Day Format

Dragstrip race format will be random pairings of side-by-side runs on a sportsman tree. Driver lane choice will not be allowed. The Event Race Director reserves the right to conduct single-lane passes in the event of a condition that prevents the use of one lane. Following the completion of each run, competitors must return immediately and directly to the circle track staging lanes until three passes are complete and after their final pass. Entrants unable to complete three passes will be listed as DNF and any entrant returning to their pit before the end of the event will be disqualified.

WARNING: ***Gasoline and alcohol fuel samples will be taken at random from entrant’s fuel system during the timed runs and from the three top award winners and runner-up at the conclusion of the timed third pass. These samples will be analyzed for lead content and octane rating. Any entrant’s gasoline sample found to contain lead or have an octane rating that is above rule specifications will be disqualified and will forfeit all awards.

Bob.. guess the boards are read :)

Eric, I will assist with the tech inspections and help out anyway I can. My car is an outlaw and dont want to put it against lesser cars.. not fair. I could get you to burn me a chip and run the class.. as all I have currently(cept the nitrous and XFI) will fit the designation of the class.

Instead i'd like to run a 76MM turbo, launch of the t-brake, hit it with nitrous, run it on pump gas.. and let er rip :biggrin: I build my car to run my time.. but like to see competition..

Guess the ME-r is out, the MAFT pro is out, DFI/FAST/etc is out as well...

Bob and Eric.. you guys are going to be popular :eek: :biggrin:

TurboBob said:
With 9 second potential, just call it "Alky Outlaw" and get on with it.

Bob

Ahhh... now that class on a stock block... my dream :wink:

Glad I dont write the rules :biggrin: cars must be white too :)

IF I can make it to BG this year, who would be interested in racing for some $ and/or shots of Crown ?

Razor... Wanna give it a go? :) :D

PhilM said:
IF I can make it to BG this year, who would be interested in racing for some $ and/or shots of Crown ?

Razor... Wanna give it a go? :) :D

Ohh crap.. the trash talking has just begun..

I'll race "any" Buick on pump gas.. if you'll run it on pump gas.. get that wallet ready.. cuase drinks will be on the Philmister :eek:

:biggrin:

Razor said:
I'll race "any" Buick on pump gas.. if you'll run it on pump gas.. get that wallet ready.. cuase drinks will be on the Philmister :eek:

lol

1) I'll run it on pump n alky...2) and it is a Buick --- now there's some rules even I can agree to!

Razor said:
Ohh crap.. the trash talking has just begun..

Someone's gotta start... gotta keep this thread interesting

:)

Razor said:
Bob.. guess the boards are read :)

snip..................

the MAFT pro is out, ...................

:eek: :biggrin:

The MAFT Pro can run a MAF.

Bob

I'd like to run in this class. There are probably others like myself that are running in a heads-up class that could run this class also, but qualifying passes are usually run on Friday night. If this was done entirely on Thursday we could do both. Also it would be nice if there was Methanol available on raceday for purchase for those of us that don't know where to get it in a sealed container.
Randy