TranslatorPro/ExtenderPro/PowerLogger IN!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Thought I'd put together a little right up on my experiences over the last couple months while installing my newly acquired TPro/ExtPro, and later I'll talk about the PowerLogger.

I had been using the Translator + and Extender combination since they came out many years ago, can't remember exactly when, but it seems for at least 8 years. And was able to post my best times and mph almost from the first day of installation (with a few trips for tuning).

So it was with a little trepidation that I finally decided to take the plunge into the Translator Pro world. And decided that while I was at it, to go whole hog and install it in speed density mode (no maf).

Pulled everything out, plugged the TPro in, (BTW, I highly recommend the plug-n-play adapter!!) But for the brave of heart that don't mind a little cutting and splicing, and T crimping you can save some $$$.

Double checked the hookup, did the TPro setup telling it mode to run, what MAP, etc.turned the key, and the car immediately fired, and idled smoothly (as it always has).
Headed out on the streets, and to my amazement, the care responded wonderfully!! No tip in, nothing.

So in the next few days I drove around watching my Int. (blm are locked at 128 in the ExtPro) and made only a couple of simple tweaks to get the INT to hover around the 125-135 range. The adjustment that I made is a feature in TPro called "main scale" which moves the whole fuel curve up or down. I only had to go 2% lean. I ended up having to add 3% of a feature called afterstart enrichment, and a few minor tweaks in the low and mid user tune settings.

I must add here that I have not yet gone with a WBO2 sensor, I'm still using my heated NBO2, and reading logs to make settings where needed. I know this particular O2 and know how to use tune with it (although this isn't as good as a WBO2!)

Now the goodies!!
The newest TPro software not only allows WOT wideband AF tracking but also has part throttle AF tracking so you can in essence use your WBO2 and control AF ratio across the whole operating band from just above idle to WOT!!!

Also, there is a closed loop boost control feature (which I'm using) that allows you to control boost from the MAP input, and with some flexible settings, the spool up can be greatly enhanced. It doesn't have the 2# boost drop in 3rd and 4th but I don't mind, since I'm able to run a bonified 20# of boost under all conditions on straight 93 octane, I like it just fine.

Another REALLY neat feature is that the TPro can now trigger my second fuel pump (in tank double pumper), there-by allowing me to ditch the hobbs switch (one less mechanical device to fail). And I'm able to control the turn on point through a setting in the boost control page. (Yes Bob, it works!! :D )

The Extender Pro still has all the neat features that I've enjoyed through the years. The one's I use regularly are:
cruise TCC
WOT TCC
Lean Cruise
I leave everything running in normal closed loop mode. Don't have the need for open loop idle or open loop all the time. Although when I do get a WBO2 in, I'll have to turn on open loop all the time, so the WBO2 takes control.

I love the speed density mode and so does my inlet air flow!!

What did I have to do? Remove MAF, Move IAT to up pipe to now operate as a MAT (manifold temp) for the speed density operation.

The Beautiful part of the Translator Pro/Extender Pro system is that Bob Bailey has absolutely nailed the Turbo Regal setup so that startup and run in is seamless!!

What you also get with the Translator Pro is a CD containing a program called Tuner Pro RT (freeware) which, via a serial cable :tongue: allows you to comunicate with TPro, do software updates via upload/download features, data log (although a little cumbersome) and monitor everything going on in the TPro with live gauges, etc.
I know I've probably forgotten something, so If you have questions, feel free to jump in or email.

PowerLogger: I installed it a couple days ago and all I can say is, I'm amazed. The install went perfectly, but a lot of that has to do with the fact I have been using Direct Scan so my PCM was already modified to receive the power logger which attaches similarly to direct scan, except that PL is a self contained board/microprocessor/connector that attaches in the same place as DS. It utilizes a USB cable to the laptop, and another cable to the really NEAT feature, that being the anolog bar (for lack of a better term). The analog input device has 5 inputs. 1 dedicated to WBO2, 2 dedicated to MAP input, 3 dedicated to EGT input (required an additional EGT adapter), 4 and 5 can be one of several other devices like (volts, EGT, Air Temp sensor, pressure 100psi, pressure 100psi-B, MAFT Pro VE%m MAFT Pro boost DC%)

It allows logging much the same as DS did (easy), can buffer back almost 20 seconds!!! so you wont miss a thing.
Has a gauge panel with 11 gauges! :eek:
Has a graph page with 4 graphs.
Has a data page with ALL the data being monitored, plus the BLM table, etc. etc.

In closing, even though the Translator Pro/Extender Pro is a "piggy back" system instead of a stand alone system like XFI, etc. I'm firmly convinced it has much the same power and flexability when running speed density with a WBO2 ect. There's not much you can't "see" or "do" with this system. And Power Logger is incredibly powerful!

The only thing I thought strange was that Translator Pro uses a serial connection to the laptop, while power logger uses USB. Since I updated to a newer laptop (XP) to run power logger, I found it troublesome to find a USB/serial adapter, but found a no name brand that worked perfectly (phew). BTW, it's getting incredibly hard to find anyone carrying a USB/serial adapter (where I'm at anyway).

I know, it's long and tedious, but I'm having too much fun now!! :D

rod run

hey dave , you go to the rod run this weekend. i sold the 31 roadster sat. seen a few turbo cars up, but did not get to talk to anyone tho.

hey dave , you go to the rod run this weekend. i sold the 31 roadster sat. seen a few turbo cars up, but did not get to talk to anyone tho.

Nope, never made it. Too busy painting my trailer floor, and various other "honey do's".

Good write up!

Thanks for the info! Still have the T+, but hope to install the d/logger this winter.:biggrin:

All though I've been using the Gen2 MAFT, for a little over a year now, which I thought was amazing too, you'll love your T Pro even more when you use the WB AFR tracking feature...makes tuning WOT a breeze by just changing the desired AFR value you want....is even more of a breeze if you use alky :)
The drivability with the ExtenderG was amazing. Bob did brilliant work with this!

Oh, and those extra 5v inputs on the logger, I wired my Autometer elect fuel pressure gauge to it so I can record/log my fp! Could also do the same for oil pressure etc... I use the LMA3 Auxbox with my Innovate LM1 WB, but same concept with the Powerlogger.

Neat write up Dave, thanks.

I must say the only reason I haven't tried the Pro setup yet is because my old T+ / Extender stuff works so well. Awesome driveability and performance that has really spoiled me. Someday I will think I will make the upgrade though.

Oh, and those extra 5v inputs on the logger, I wired my Autometer elect fuel pressure gauge to it so I can record/log my fp! Could also do the same for oil pressure etc...

I had never considered this, that is a great idea! :cool:

Neat write up Dave, thanks.

I must say the only reason I haven't tried the Pro setup yet is because my old T+ / Extender stuff works so well. Awesome driveability and performance that has really spoiled me. Someday I will think I will make the upgrade though.

That was my dilema. My T+ and Extender were working perfectly. But in the never ending quest for more excitement I made the plunge. It was truely amazing at how seemless the swap was.

It's good to hear the success. I installed the Trans Pro on my car last year and never got it to work right. Way too rich, fouled plugs, etc. I had a FAST Air/Fuel meter hooked in. Anyway, I sold the car before I got it figured out. I still have all the electronics (Trans Pro, FAST Air/Fuel meter).

I just bought another TR and am trying to decide if I should try this again. The car has the following (still verifying):
Front mount PTE I/C
PT72 Turbo
84lb Injectors
214/218 cam
Ported iron heads
RA modded computer (for injectors)
Walbro 340
Billet caps (no girdle)
Battery in trunk

Since I already have the Trans Pro & FAST Air/Fuel, I don't have a lot more to buy to get this together. I need the plug in adapter and I'm thinking about the Power Logger. If all of this works I'm in it for about $1000 less than a FAST XFI. I just want to make sure the things I have will work together.

The questions I have are:
Will all of this work with the modded computer?
Exactly where and how do you move the inlet temp sensor?
I think the fuel pump won't cut it, what is recommended?
Is it required or recommended to have the Scanmaster with the Power Logger? I'm ditching the Direct Scan I currently have. I don't want the Scanmaster unless I have to.
Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks...

The questions I have are:
Will all of this work with the modded computer?
Exactly where and how do you move the inlet temp sensor?
I think the fuel pump won't cut it, what is recommended?
Is it required or recommended to have the Scanmaster with the Power Logger? I'm ditching the Direct Scan I currently have. I don't want the Scanmaster unless I have to.
Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks...

1- don't see why not
2- usually move it into the up-pipe or plenum
3- a single 340 should be able to support at least high 10's
4- powerlogger is sweet from what I've seen, having the scanmaster is nice to have just to peek down at on the fly. Probably not necessary, but nice to have

That's interesting. I have a friends car in my garage now with a VERY similar setup, except his has aluminum heads.
So as soon as all the parts get here, I'll be starting the install.
There's no reason for it not to work with almost any setup. They have Translator Pro's running succesfully on MUCH hotter setups, all the way up to a SII motor pushing it's way toward the 8's.
The Scanmaster isn't a requirement but it's a handy little addition to the scheme of things. They have an upgrade chip available now that you can plug the Scanmaster directly into the PowerLogger so it can display things like WBO2 A/F ratio directly!
I can't think why it all shouldn't work. With a good Extender Pro chip to run your injectors, and other facets.

Yes, it will work with the modded computer (assuming you mean modded to run the low impedence injectors).

Most are placing the inlet air temp sensor into the up pipe in front of the throttle body. (check my photo album to see mine). Some are placing it somewhere near the back of the upper manifold.

I'd keep the scanmaster and have them update it's chip to work with the powerlogger.

Not sure how to advise you on your pump. There's a wire that can be added to the Trans Pro that can be used to kick in the second pump (on a typical in tank double pumper). The wire is used to trigger the second pumps relay via it's ground wire. But it appears that you are presently running a single 340.

HTH

One additional thought, I personally am not familiar with all the WBO2's out there, so I can't say how well the FAST WBO2 will work with the TransPro. A quick call to Full Throttle might help answere that. You're sure that WBO2 is still any good?

The FAST WBO2 is a real nice piece and works perfect with Trans Pro. Mike Licht helped me over the phone set it up last year. Just a certain setting and it's good to go.

If the Scanmaster only adds a display of the WBO2, I won't need it because the FAST system has a great display and playback.

I was told the computer was modded just for the injectors. I guess I'll send the Extender Pro chip back to Full Throttle to get it updated for the turbo/injectors I currently have.

So, should I keep the Directscan, get a Scanmaster, or just run with the PowerLogger? Or a combination? I want to keep it as simple as possible.

If you had it to do over would you just go with the XFI?

Turbo Dave,

Nice detailed write up on your exsperience with the T/Pro and P/Logger!
I run the TT chip now and like the plug and play (put the chip in and go). Just say that I like to cut the power to the ecm for the usual reasons (the car was stolen once and now I'm just a little paranoid) how much time would it take me to reprogram the chip after the power was restored to the computer/chip?

Chuck

how much time would it take me to reprogram the chip after the power was restored to the computer/chip?

Chuck
The Gen2 and the TPro are flash memory so they retain their settings when the power is cut off. However, if you setting anything special in the extender, like the TCC lockup speed different than the default, or valet then it has to be reset, but the defaults worked for me as I have a battery disconnect for storage and its cut off all the time.

The Gen2 and the TPro are flash memory so they retain their settings when the power is cut off. However, if you setting anything special in the extender, like the TCC lockup speed different than the default, or valet then it has to be reset, but the defaults worked for me as I have a battery disconnect for storage and its cut off all the time.

Thanks for the insight Rob, well I guess that I'm running out of excuses.

Chuck

The FAST WBO2 is a real nice piece and works perfect with Trans Pro. Mike Licht helped me over the phone set it up last year. Just a certain setting and it's good to go.

If the Scanmaster only adds a display of the WBO2, I won't need it because the FAST system has a great display and playback.

I was told the computer was modded just for the injectors. I guess I'll send the Extender Pro chip back to Full Throttle to get it updated for the turbo/injectors I currently have.

So, should I keep the Directscan, get a Scanmaster, or just run with the PowerLogger? Or a combination? I want to keep it as simple as possible.

If you had it to do over would you just go with the XFI?

To answer this last question first, no way. I still like the simplicity of allowing the stock computer to maintain control, with just the Trnaslator's external modifiers.
IMHO, FAST and XFI and BS3 etc. are race only pieces, and race only for the really fast cars. I don't think it's appropriate for a primarilly street driven car or anything running slower than low 10's. Those systems are just far too complex for the average user unless you have ready access to someone to go to and help tune, most don't.

The Scanmaster in conjunction with PowerLogger can also disply such things as WBO2, MAP, BOOST and EGT (if properly interfaced).

As to whether you want to stay with Direct Scan or PowerLogger, that would be a personal decision. I ditched my Direct Scan. The Powerlogger just has so much more to offer, including regular updates and technical support.
One good thing, if your ECM is already setup to attach Direct Scan then it's a pretty easy install for PowerLogger, it attaches in the same place.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm convinced to keep the TransPro. I do plan on mostly racing my car, not much street time.
With the current motor I'm planning for mid-high 10's. But I also plan on building a stroker motor for 2009 that will hopefully get me somewhere in the 9's. The car has fiberglass hood, trunk & bumpers with A/C removed.

If you don't mind, maybe I'll get in touch with you when I get things connected and running.

Thanks again,

Mark

Turbo Dave,

So how does T/Pro adjust boost through the 3 bar map? I am currently only using an adjustable wastegate and bleeder valve on a CPT66BB turbo. I am not using any electronics to control boost.

Thanks,
Scott

Turbo Dave,

So how does T/Pro adjust boost through the 3 bar map? I am currently only using an adjustable wastegate and bleeder valve on a CPT66BB turbo. I am not using any electronics to control boost.

Thanks,
Scott

The Translator Pro 99% of applications is being used as a speed density system (mafless) (can be used to control mafs if one desires), and as such requires the input from a map sensor to utilize it's internal VE tables.
So, as the 3 bar map sensor is there, and the tpro has internal boost control tables, it's a natural to use the boost control output to control the wastegate solenoid.
The ideal setup is a "high boost" solenoid that can be purchased as an option, but I am running my old tried and true dual stock solenoid setup to attain the same results.

Simply stated, the Tpro monitors the map input, uses the boost control table to control the wastegate solenoid.

HTH.

BTW, I have since enhance some features or control. The TPro also has an "aux input", that can monitor many different types on input and the TPro can then act on that input to achieve a desired affect.
I have my 3rd gear switch signal coming from the tranny to the ecm sent to the TPro's aux input.
I then have the internal boost controls set to pull a couple pounds of boost when 3rd gear hits (this same thing happens in the stock ecm/chip setup).

There's also an "aux" wot timing table! :eek: I can have it pull a couple degrees of wot timing when 3rd gear hits.

Too many neat features, too little time!

Aux input

Dave,

Do you know if the aux input is scaleable (user defined voltage trigger) in the software? I was thinking that I could (MAF Pro on order) add a second IAT sensor to the plenum and if temp exceeds setpoint X it would switch over to the aux timing table. i.e. alky stops working, IAT2 exceeds 200F, aux timing table drops to 12* WOT timing.

Mike