Powerlogger question

jay dcpt

Installing a aem wideband to my power logger. I know the white wire goes to pin 1 on the I/o connection and the brown wire is ground. In Eric's diagram he grounded it on the ecm case. My question is am I able to ground the brown wire which is 0-5 volt analog negative to pin 4 or 6 on the I/o connection? Which is ground but the directions state that those pins are only used in special circumstances to ground an external 5 volt sensor. And if I can not ground there can someone explain why.

And I'm also assuming if I can't use those pins any ground location will work? Doesn't have to be the ecm case. Just trying to keep my wiring looking nice.

Installing a aem wideband to my power logger. I know the white wire goes to pin 1 on the I/o connection and the brown wire is ground. In Eric's diagram he grounded it on the ecm case. My question is am I able to ground the brown wire which is 0-5 volt analog negative to pin 4 or 6 on the I/o connection? Which is ground but the directions state that those pins are only used in special circumstances to ground an external 5 volt sensor. And if I can not ground there can someone
And I'm also assuming if I can't use those pins any ground location will work? Doesn't have to be the ecm case. Just trying to keep my wiring looking nice.
any ground will work.
use the ground on the 5vdc power supply
and just one wire to the io
i believe those two grounds are for if your using a 0-5v output on the board?
been a while but can go look to confirm

You can use either one of those 2 pins. But you are correct any ground will work. It was just cleaner wiring to use one of those pins as they were open anyway. This is just a street car so not monitoring a whole lot.

What is odd though is that the air fuel number I'm getting on the power logger with the aem wideband hooked is 2 numbers leaner than what the gauge is displaying. At idle fully warm the gauge is reading 14.7 right around there and on the power logger gauge it's showing like 16.4. I don't like that at all. Don't know what to do about that just yet
I haven't had time to drive it yet to see if it gets closer under load.

it has to be grounded to the ECM case period !
NOT the 4 & 6 ground on power logger. They are not for grounding the AEM wideband too.

Per Eric at Turbotweak....
You don't necessarily need to connect the brown wire to the ECM case, but it needs a good ground, so I would either do the engine block or ECM case. I personally use the ECM case.
1695667158553.png

Last edited:
Eric also states on his support forum that sometimes when the readings are off to try and use the terminal 4 on the power logger even though its not recommended.
Which AEM are you using?
and what settings in power logger did you choose?

The problem is potential ground offset. The ground of the WB controller and that of the ECM have to be the same. The ground is not zero volts, and if you have a .01 volt offset between the PL pin and the ECM, when the WB is reading as low as 10.5 to 1, which is around .25 volt signal, that .01 volts can be a large discrepancy between the WB controller output and what you are reading on the powerlogger. Like 5%. The error will be much less at stoich because the volts at 14.7 to 1 is around 2.5.

I spoke with Eric about about it because I initially wasn't getting a response here and he advised me that pin 4 would be just fine if not being occupied. It's an aem 30-0300 I think it something like that. I can look at the part number when I get home if you would like to know. I didn't select any settings in the power logger. Once wired in it was just there. Are there settings I should mess with to try and correct the concern?

The problem is potential ground offset. The ground of the WB controller and that of the ECM have to be the same. The ground is not zero volts, and if you have a .01 volt offset between the PL pin and the ECM, when the WB is reading as low as 10.5 to 1, which is around .25 volt signal, that .01 volts can be a large discrepancy between the WB controller output and what you are reading on the powerlogger. Like 5%. The error will be much less at stoich because the volts at 14.7 to 1 is around 2.5.
So your suggesting to move my signal ground from pin 4 and ground it in the same location that I have the ground for the gauge itself. I can try that and see what it does.

So your suggesting to move my signal ground from pin 4 and ground it in the same location that I have the ground for the gauge itself. I can try that and see what it does.
Eric knows what he is talking about so ... does your gauge read the same as the PL? Especially at WOT max boost. If so then I would be less concerned about a ground offset.

No it doesn't at idle. Have not driven car yet. The gauge is 14.7 pl is 16. Right now I'm trusting the gauge because my fuel trim values are In check. If the change is constant in the power logger when I drive it I don't really care.

In powerlogger under the F3 Config TAB you have to choose AEM gauge from the drop down on wideband input for the aem 30-0300. Ground it to the ECM case.
1695680982462.png

Make sure it is setup right as mentioned by Joe. Trust the gauge, PL should match.

In powerlogger under the F3 Config TAB you have to choose AEM gauge from the drop down on wideband input for the aem 30-0300. Ground it to the ECM case.
View attachment 395234
Thank you I didn't know that I will check that out. Eric stated no need to ground to ecm case but after that check if I'm getting the same results I will give it a try. Thanks for the info.