Time to go to a dual nozzle setup?

That would have been cool to see

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So KevinS and and WE4Mateo, what Afr and timing are you guys running with those boost levels?

So KevinS and and WE4Mateo, what Afr and timing are you guys running with those boost levels?

I run 20 degrees in 1/2 and 17 degrees in 3/4. I like safe tunes; I may be leaving a bit on the table yet.

Eric at TT programmed the chip for 35psi and 100% meth so I’m not sure on the timing he used.
I was chasing issues with the fuel psi not rising in correlation with the boost and once I figured out the issue winter hit and the car went into storage then sold shortly afterwards. I know the AF numbers I saw on PL didn’t concern me too much and felt it was still safe.

ks

Eric at TT programmed the chip for 35psi and 100% meth so I’m not sure on the timing he used.
I was chasing issues with the fuel psi not rising in correlation with the boost and once I figured out the issue winter hit and the car went into storage then sold shortly afterwards. I know the AF numbers I saw on PL didn’t concern me too much and felt it was still safe.

ks

The timing in tt chips is written on them. And it's not advisable to run 35psi without knowing such things but to each his own.

Did Eric also know you were planning to run 87 octane?

Forgot your afr question: I try to keep it around 10.5 afr on the street and I'll lean out to 10.8 to 11.0:1 at the track for a few extra ponies.

The timing in tt chips is written on them. And it's not advisable to run 35psi without knowing such things but to each his own.
Did Eric also know you were planning to run 87 octane?
What do you think? I told Eric everything the car had and want I wanted to do so he programmed the chip. What timing he had in the chip didn't make me any difference b/c he's the expert.

ks

What do you think? I told Eric everything the car had and want I wanted to do so he programmed the chip. What timing he had in the chip didn't make me any difference b/c he's the expert.

ks

It does make a difference as every car is different. I'm pretty sure Eric would agree his chips works best when tweaked to what the car likes. Unless he is looking at your logs, there is no way for him to get it perfect. I'm also pretty certain most would agree you shouldn't run 35psi, especially on 87 octane, without knowing what your timing figures are; and not just what PL or the chip states, but actual verified timing with a light; tuning 101 on a high boost application imho.

Are you stating that you don't know or care what your new high hp Mustang is running for timing?

It does make a difference as every car is different. I'm pretty sure Eric would agree his chips works best when tweaked to what the car likes. Unless he is looking at your logs, there is no way for him to get it perfect. I'm also pretty certain most would agree you shouldn't run 35psi, especially on 87 octane, without knowing what your timing figures are; and not just what PL or the chip states, but actual verified timing with a light; tuning 101 on a high boost application imho.

Are you stating that you don't know or care what your new high hp Mustang is running for timing?

I agree every car is different and requires fine tuning and if I wanted to squeeze every last bit of HP from a car then I would fine tune the timing and AF, etc, but I don't. If the AF looks safe and no knock and I feel the car is running good then I'm happy, just like you do based on your comment above.

As far as the Mustang: I do not have access to the tune that is in the car at this time. When I get the scan tool back from being updated I hope to be able to look at the code but it was incrypted by HPP Racing so I don't know if I will be able to view it. The car was dyno'd/tuned on 93oct but I will get it retuned with 87 and Meth either this fall or next year and when I do will I care about the timing? Sort of, but not really. As long as it's around 18* and not some crazy number like 25* I don't care. Will I care if the timing is 17* or 18*? Nope. What I care about is the boost deviation, Fuel psi, AF and KR, etc.

If you want to care about your timing then that's up to you, enjoy tinkering with it. That's what it's about.

ks

Last edited:
I agree every car is different and requires fine tuning and if I wanted to squeeze every last bit of HP from a car then I would fine tune the timing and AF, etc, but I don't. If the AF looks safe and no knock and I feel the car is running good then I'm happy, just like you do based on your comment above.

As far as the Mustang: I do not have access to the tune that is in the car at this time. When I get the scan tool back from being updated I hope to be able to look at the code but it was incrypted by HPP Racing so I don't know if I will be able to view it. The car was dyno'd/tuned on 93oct but I will get it retuned with 87 and Meth either this fall or next year and when I do will I care about the timing? Sort of, but not really. As long as it's around 18* and not some crazy number like 25* I don't care. Will I care if the timing is 17* or 18*? Nope. What I care about is the boost deviation, Fuel psi, AF and KR, etc.

If you want to care about your timing then that's up to you, enjoy tinkering with it. That's what it's about.

ks

All good points. And I hate it when the program gets locked. Lots of tuners do it, and I see why, but it sucks to have an ECM that the end user can't manipulate without coughing up another tuning fee. The tune could always use a tweak or two when conditions change or if the end user just wants things to run a little differently.

Kurgan and Anderson in IL locked the tune on my buddy's Terminator Mustang and it's annoying.

Thanks for the info on timing and AFR. Looks like something in my system is coming up short. I'll start by verifying fuel pressure and add fuel / reduce alky if everything is ok there. If I start getting knock with a rich AFR then I know my alky pressure is suffering. It will be awhile before I really dig into this though. Still too hot here to flog the car alot.

ks
What timing is in the chip may not be the actual timing.

on multiple car and combos i have seen that the duel nozzle can support more timing with the boost,therefore you can get more aggressive with it.in the past i have run 2 m10's on a stock motor and 49 turbo, car ran great and could be very aggressively tuned,much more than the single 15.it really depends on how you want to tune and the combo.

on multiple car and combos i have seen that the duel nozzle can support more timing with the boost,therefore you can get more aggressive with it.in the past i have run 2 m10's on a stock motor and 49 turbo, car ran great and could be very aggressively tuned,much more than the single 15.it really depends on how you want to tune and the combo.

How much more and did you do any back to back testing? Others have pushed 130mph on a stock longblock with a single m15 so I'm not seeing where your tune with a ta49 could have been more aggressive than that.

How much more and did you do any back to back testing? Others have pushed 130mph on a stock longblock with a single m15 so I'm not seeing where your tune with a ta49 could have been more aggressive than that.

More meth = more octane?

I'm going to pull my nozzle and make sure it is indeed an M15. I had 2 nozzles. One was an M10 and the other is whatever came with my Alkycontrol kit, which I could have sworn is an M15. Now I'm second guessing myself lol.

I did back to back testing and lets just say its more than just a few degrees,you can make plenty of power with higher timing.

Well I confirmed that I do have an M15 in there. I was 99.999% sure, but it is always good to double check. I'll add fuel to make it fat and dial the alky back to get myself back to target AFR and see what happens. That will not be for a few weeks though.