Time to go big

Well overall design of the headers is very good. just needed additional welding-grinding on the ports but they should last a lifetime.

About ready to order my cam, I have the GN-1 heads that were set up for a roller cam, do you think I need to switch the springs out for the ones with the Weber kit?

Don't know, I'd ask the person you talk to when ordering the cam kit and see what they'd recommend. I imagine this has been covered before and maybe a search would come up with some good answers.

Sorry to hear about your header woes. If I go through the "Gotta have new headers" route, I'll more than likely get Kooks Custom Headers in Statesville, NC to do mine. They'll be expensive to have made (Probably around $2000 to $3000), but they should be the last set of headers I'd ever need.

I just heard that a vendor is going to have new hot air headers shortly:)

Here's my update. Received the block back from being bored 20 over this past Friday from Bob Stanley's shop "Triad Engine Exchange". I worked the crank's keyway down to where the balancer and timing gear fit. Slightly bored the rods out so the wrist pins side in and out nicely. Almost finished grinding the top and 2nd piston rings and got overly confident on the grinding and over ground the last ring. It was a 2nd ring and was afraid I was going to have to buy another ring set just to replace that one, but JE pistons sells individual rings. So $4.10 for a new 2nd ring and $11.44 for shipping and handling mean it was a $15 mistake instead of a $124 mistake (to buy a whole new set of piston rings).

Still need to get the steel main caps fitted, the block line bored. Also waiting on the flexplate I ordered before I can begin balancing.

Here's my update. Received the block back from being bored 20 over this past Friday from Bob Stanley's shop "Triad Engine Exchange". I worked the crank's keyway down to where the balancer and timing gear fit. Slightly bored the rods out so the wrist pins side in and out nicely. Almost finished grinding the top and 2nd piston rings and got overly confident on the grinding and over ground the last ring. It was a 2nd ring and was afraid I was going to have to buy another ring set just to replace that one, but JE pistons sells individual rings. So $4.10 for a new 2nd ring and $11.44 for shipping and handling mean it was a $15 mistake instead of a $124 mistake (to buy a whole new set of piston rings).

Still need to get the steel main caps fitted, the block line bored. Also waiting on the flexplate I ordered before I can begin balancing.

Eric,
Sounds like some good progress!
What ring gaps (top to bottom) did you decide on?

Eric,
Sounds like some good progress!
What ring gaps (top to bottom) did you decide on?

At first we were going to gap them at .019 for the Top ring and .021 for the bottom ring (based on the JE Piston instructions). However Pat (SloGN) recalled that one of the local guys did the recommended gaps and they were too tight in the bore. So we called the engine builder of that motor and he recommended .023 for both, so that's what I gapped them at last night (well, with the exception of one that ended up being .029 :redface:)

Made good progress last week. I finished grinding the rods and they now clear the cam. There were not contact points inside the block, but we did a slight grind in one place to open up the clearance.
The 2nd ring came in the mail, so I'm finished gapping the rings and they are ready to be mounted on the pistons.
The next step is to balance the crank. I had some issues getting the CAT flexplate from Full Throttle, they are backordered with no ETA on ship dates. Since I'm very close to balancing the crank, I had no choice but to upgrade to the more expensive JW flexplate. It should arrive next week so we'll be ready to go soon.
The assembled rods and pistons were each weighted and I grind them all to equal weights. They all weight 1246.5 grams each (w/o the rings).
I still need to get the billet center main caps fitted for the registers and the block line bored, but all in all things are starting to come together.

Made good progress last week. I finished grinding the rods and they now clear the cam. There were not contact points inside the block, but we did a slight grind in one place to open up the clearance.
The 2nd ring came in the mail, so I'm finished gapping the rings and they are ready to be mounted on the pistons.
The next step is to balance the crank. I had some issues getting the CAT flexplate from Full Throttle, they are backordered with no ETA on ship dates. Since I'm very close to balancing the crank, I had no choice but to upgrade to the more expensive JW flexplate. It should arrive next week so we'll be ready to go soon.
The assembled rods and pistons were each weighted and I grind them all to equal weights. They all weight 1246.5 grams each (w/o the rings).
I still need to get the billet center main caps fitted for the registers and the block line bored, but all in all things are starting to come together.

What a chance of a lifetime this is . . . to have all this experience come together for the greater good of a HA set-up. :biggrin: LOL
Seriously . . . there are some heavy hitters helping with this build. :cool:

Also . . this thread is WORTHLESS without additional pics of the mods/set-up. :tongue:

Okay Jerryl, I'll take some pictures next time I'm out there. We balanced the crank today, so next I just need the final machining of the main caps an inline bore for the crank and we'll be ready throwing it all in.

Looks like some good progress Eric.

Thanks Jamie, it's coming along. I hope this engine lasts as long (or longer) than my last one. I still have my old block, crank, heads, timing chain, etc... So after I'm done with this I'll probably throw the old engine back together and keep it as a spare. That way if for any reason I have to go through this again, at least I can put the car back on the road quickly.

How's it going Eric? I just got mine back from the fabricator and it has a full race cage in it now. Will have to get that painted. Headers and such need to actually be coated and mine should be ready for spring. T type is taking forever but should get some progress on this starting next weekend.. Hope all is going well with your project.

Alright Jamie, you're ready for the 9's!

I took the block to a machinist Friday and he's fitting the 2 billet center caps to the block, inline boring and honing. Hopefully that'll be done this week and I can start assembling the short block.

It's getting closer, the billet main caps were fitted and we're taking extra time making sure the clearances are right on the money. The crank spins great in the bearings with no resistance and we're getting a local mechanic to recheck everything before we start assembling the short block.

If things go exceptionally well I'm guessing 3 more weeks before I have a running car.

Eric, this thread is inspirational. I'm with Jerryl, we need PICS!!

I hope to post up some pics of my 4.1 build as time permits. Just waiting for it to get warmer so I can start wrenchin' soon. :cool: