Time to go big

Patrick I'm just picking on you, boostmaster was too.

Don't take everything so serious.

sorry if i may have jumped on the serious wagon then.

next time just add some smiley's or something to make it obvious :) i'm a little Slo -GN :p

Just an update on my progress. We tore down the transmission last night. The label on the case says KCF, but the internals are all BQ, so there was a case switch sometime in the past.

We’re ordering parts today and should be throwing it all together soon. I should have a transmission that’ll withstand 10 second passes and transbrake launches.

Cal, PM replied!

Way to keep us posted Eric. I will keep checking back to see the progress you're making.

Way to keep us posted Eric. I will keep checking back to see the progress you're making.

Thanks Jamie. I'll probably head to Richard's shop tonight and maybe I'll take some pictures to show and engine and transmission in a million pieces.

I'm contacting Pat's Performance Converters on the 1003XHD lockup converter I bought from them and going to get the stall raised at least 2000 PM. It's currently a 2800 stall and I'll need at 3000+ stall for the GT6252E turbo. It'll probably need to be raised anyway for a hotter cam.

I run a california performance non lock up stalled at 3400 for my set up so a taller stall is in order I'm sure for your new engine set up.

Pictures

Here's a picture of the piston that a clunk came out of the land, the KCF transmission case label and various pictures of the parts transmission parts.

Attachments

• Broke Piston.jpg
    Broke Piston.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 390
  • KCF Case.jpg
    KCF Case.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 393
  • Tranny Case.jpg
    Tranny Case.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 395
  • Tranny Parts 1.jpg
    Tranny Parts 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 386
  • Tranny Parts 2.jpg
    Tranny Parts 2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 398
My bins of engine parts and the block. Aint it just fun!

Attachments

• Engine Parts.jpg
    Engine Parts.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 386
So have you got a comfy matress there yet! I hear it get spooky at night when sleeping at richard's shop

So is turkey day still the set date hahahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D

So have you got a comfy matress there yet! I hear it get spooky at night when sleeping at richard's shop

So is turkey day still the set date hahahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D

Nope, no matress yet! I'm not too concerned about spooks. My snoring will scare them away:eek:

BTW Pat, I'm not taking your short route to Richard's anymore. Go pulled over last night going through Elon (Speed Trap). Officer was nice, but gave me a ticket for going 52 in at 35. This is first traffic citation I've had in over 23 years. The officer advised me not to just pay the ticket, but instead show up in court. They'd reduce it to 9 MPH over and I'd get no points on my license.

Thought I’d post an update.

Transmission is coming along great, hoping to be finished with the build within the few days. Transmission builds aren’t exactly the fastest things you’ve ever seen at Richard Clark’s, but he sure does take the extra time to make sure things are 100% correct.

The N/A 109 block has been sent off to be bored 20 over and the stroker kit should be arriving tomorrow from TR Customs.

Still have quite a few things to order and hoping for some killer Xmas/Holiday sales from vendors so I can stretch my dollar a bit more. I’m thinking that maybe I should have made thread subject “Time to Go Broke”.

Seems like the general consensus is that I should go with Champion GN1 heads instead of their CNC ported irons because of the extra flow. Cam selection seems to be one thing that’s on my mind right now with the most recent suggestion being that I should go austemper ductile roller 212/212.

That piston pic is crazy. Surprised she was still running at all and it didn't decide to walk it's way out of the ring land all together...

Looks like you got a heck of a build going on and should be hooked up pretty good when it's done. Nice work!

Thanks Jamie, and I do feel lucky that there wasn't anymore carnage Squid4life!

Just found out that I could have save $300-$400 on the Stoker crank. Just do a Google search for CKS-231A and one of the stores has them in stock for $345. Oh well, it's money back into the Buick community to a good vendor.

Forgot to mention that I'm starting to think maybe iron heads might be the way to go. I didn't realize E85 was so corrosive to aluminum and if I ever go E85 I'd hate to see my heads eaten up. I'm not considering E85 right now, but it's really neat how Jamie's getting nice gains with it and it still maybe on the table for a future upgrade.

Thanks Jamie, and I do feel lucky that there wasn't anymore carnage Squid4life!

Just found out that I could have save $300-$400 on the Stoker crank. Just do a Google search for CKS-231A and one of the stores has them in stock for $345. Oh well, it's money back into the Buick community to a good vendor.

Don't feel too bad about the $. That is a CAT crank #, of which those cranks have not been made for a long time. I think most of those sites are vendors of CAT, but 95% of them say "not in stock". I tried contacting a few of them a while back and they never have the Buick cranks.

Thinking out load?

Eric, you know I am going crazy over a cam. Why are you choosing a 212-212?

inquiring minds want to know.;)

Squid4life, from what I’ve been told all the stroker cranks that are on the market are from CAT (Chinese made). When they first hit the market they were in the low $300 range and something happened and they shot up to the $700 range. It’s neither here nor there for me since I should have one in my hands today and hopefully be balancing it this weekend.

Eric, you know I am going crazy over a cam. Why are you choosing a 212-212?

Hi George, I’m not a cam expert and have to rely on other peoples advice and so far the advice has been 212/212 roller cam. What I’ve been told is the higher duration of the cam, the more you sacrifice a smooth idle and the more RPMs you’ll have to turn to reach the power range of the motor. Also a higher duration cam requires a looser converter.

The goals for my car are still mostly street with the every other weekend strip trips. I don’t want a roll bar or cage in my car and my I believe for a lot of tracks that’s an ET of 6.99 or quicker in the 1/8th mile and 10.99 or quicker in the ¼ mile. So my goals are low 7’s in the 1/8th and low 11’s in the 1/4. To be competitive in any of the Turbo Regal events, it looks like you have to be in the 9’s in the quarter mile and to be honest with you that’s way too much money and broken parts for my taste and rather sit on the sidelines and cheer Jamie on in her quest for those numbers.

I’m like you and haven’t 100% decided on the cam, but that’s where I’m leaning right now. My decision on heads is still up in the air too. Champion ported irons are cheaper and would probably suit my goals just fine, but the attraction of higher flowing heads is there too and I’ve been told many times the power is in the heads more than anything else in the motor.

Squid4life, from what I’ve been told all the stroker cranks that are on the market are from CAT (Chinese made). When they first hit the market they were in the low $300 range and something happened and they shot up to the $700 range. It’s neither here nor there for me since I should have one in my hands today and hopefully be balancing it this weekend.

Yeah, I remember hearing about those prices hovering around $300. Too bad a guy couldn't see the future and buy a garage full. :biggrin:

As for who is making them now, I hear it is not CAT anymore, but is definitely China made. Whoever you get it from, make sure when the shop gets it to balance they put it on the crank machine and spin it, check it for straightness and out-of-round. These new cranks from China have hit and miss quality control and sometimes need to be turned, even new out of the box. Let us know how the build goes, and any issues with the crank or parts in general so the next guy who melts and cracks his pistons (probably me...:D ) has all the info.

Good luck brother!

go big!

Do it up eric, I'm still trying to justify in my head pulling mine apart.....IDK, its tired and taps...I probably should. Good luck and keep us posted on what you're doing there at richards place, hopefully I'll see ya in May, I plan on coming down for the annual event. ;)