Time to go big

Do it up Eric, I'm still trying to justify in my head pulling mine apart.....IDK, its tired and taps...I probably should. Good luck and keep us posted on what you're doing there at Richards place, hopefully I'll see ya in May, I plan on coming down for the annual event. ;)

Thanks Dave. I've been wanting to break into the motor for quite a while and the justification wasn't quite there, so I understand the feeling. With Richard's shop so close, it's an opportunity of a lifetime to do it up right.

I'm hoping to have the transmission complete today, but with 4 guys now building 4 transmissions it's slowing down.

The trans is almost done, just waiting on a couple of parts and the trans brake.

The Stroker crank, JE Pistons and SCAT rods arrived yesterday.

Attachments

• Trans_almost_done.jpg
    Trans_almost_done.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Stroker_Crank.jpg
    Stroker_Crank.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 273
  • pistons.jpg
    pistons.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 286
  • Rods.jpg
    Rods.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 272
Don't you just love presents? I hope maybe after Christmas Santa has a few extra that he can drop off at my house. LOL First off we need to finish the T which should be doable and then decide what direction we are going. Nice photos and it looks like you are getting there.

Thanks! The build has ground to a halt:( I waiting on a couple of trans brake parts to completely finish the transmission. I'm also waiting on a few parts from Full Throttle to arrive before I can start balancing.

I received bad news this weekend and have to retrieve another block. The N/A 109 I bought has water damage in one of the cylinders.

I've ordered the FAST XFI from Cal Hartline and decided to go a little overboard and bought the FAST Dash/Datalogger as well. Going to de-clutter my cabin of all gauges and the datalogging abilities seem to be better with that device.

Thanks! The build has ground to a halt:( I waiting on a couple of trans brake parts to completely finish the transmission. I'm also waiting on a few parts from Full Throttle to arrive before I can start balancing.

I received bad news this weekend and have to retrieve another block. The N/A 109 I bought has water damage in one of the cylinders.

I've ordered the FAST XFI from Cal Hartline and decided to go a little overboard and bought the FAST Dash/Datalogger as well. Going to de-clutter my cabin of all gauges and the datalogging abilities seem to be better with that device.

Sorry to hear you are stuck waiting on parts and especially the block... That sucks. XFI sounds like the way to go, and yes, you are going BIG! ;)

Keep us posted on progress and gifts from Santa in the mail. :biggrin:

PS, you have another block sourced out already?

PS, you have another block sourced out already?

Yep, The guy I bought the block from said if there was anything wrong with it, I could have another one. He had 3 N/A 109 long blocks and never stripped them down to the bare block, so he told me if one didn't work out I could come get another block till I had one that works. The problem is he lives 4 hours away, so it takes nearly an entire day to get one.

Thats good he stands by his parts, even if it does slow the process down a bit. Guess being that close is better than being shipped from the other side of the US tho.

Thats good he stands by his parts, even if it does slow the process down a bit. Guess being that close is better than being shipped from the other side of the US tho.

He is a stand up guy. His name's Vernon (Turbo1dr) and has a yellow malibu hybrid, a very nicely restored T-Type and of course I can't forget the Grand National Aero Coupe.

He is a stand up guy. His name's Vernon (Turbo1dr) and has a yellow malibu hybrid, a very nicely restored T-Type and of course I can't forget the Grand National Aero Coupe.

Oh yeah, know of him. Awesome build threads for sure. Well brother, good luck and keep us updated. It is cool to watch others do builds when the rest of us are stuck with KR machines that have to have a drip pan underneath... :biggrin:

Oh yeah, know of him. Awesome build threads for sure. Well brother, good luck and keep us updated. It is cool to watch others do builds when the rest of us are stuck with KR machines that have to have a drip pan underneath... :biggrin:

Hell i have a KR machine too even with 116 octane. I too have a drip pan undermine too. It sits just across the shop from ESinger's pile of parts............

Seems like Nov is the annuall motor pulling time. This is my third one in a row even after spending copious amount of money!!

Thank you, Eric! As this build get closer, give me a call, I would like to go over some neat E-85 stuff with you and make sure I have all the details to get the start up program as close as possible.

Thank you, Eric! As this build get closer, give me a call, I would like to go over some neat E-85 stuff with you and make sure I have all the details to get the start up program as close as possible.

Thanks Cal, I really don't have any initial plans to run E-85, that maybe a 2012 project but not going to happen right away.
What I'm planning on doing with that neat 4 position thumbwheel for the XFI ordered from you is this. The first tune is just to run straight 93 octane. The next tune will be adding the progressive alcohol into the mix. After that I'll probably work on a race gas tune and the last thumbwheel position will be a valet tune.

Thanks Cal, I really don't have any initial plans to run E-85, that maybe a 2012 project but not going to happen right away.
What I'm planning on doing with that neat 4 position thumbwheel for the XFI ordered from you is this. The first tune is just to run straight 93 octane. The next tune will be adding the progressive alcohol into the mix. After that I'll probably work on a race gas tune and the last thumbwheel position will be a valet tune.

Cal, looks like you will be pretty busy making all those tunes :biggrin:

Kinda wondering how his .gct will look ;)

The only thing the XFI is suppose to come with is the startup tune. I was going to work through the rest of the tunes myself (and a lttle help from Pat - SloGN). If Cal wants to include startups for the other tunes, it's up to him.

The only thing the XFI is suppose to come with is the startup tune. I was going to work through the rest of the tunes myself (and a lot of help from Pat - SloGN). If Cal wants to include startups for the other tunes, it's up to him.

Fixed :D

Here’s the latest update on my build. I received the FAST XFI and Dash/Datalogger from Cal Hartline earlier this week so that just needs to be installed in the car. N/A 109 Block number 2 has been sent to get bored 20 over. I hope this block comes out okay, there was no noticiable water damage to this block.

My current to-do list is

1) The SCAT rods need to be bored slightly for the wrist pins to fit.
2) Get a key made to fit the keyway in the crank.
3) Balance crank.
4) Get the steel caps milled down to fit the registers in the block.
5) Line bore the block.

block

Eric, was something wrong with the block you received from me?

Wishing you the best of luck with your build. I have gotten way carried away with mine. the engine and trans are now out of the car and detailing is under way. I hope to begin putting in back together soon. My headers are at the fabricators getting completed as the previous shops attempt left alot to be disired. When the headers are finished the cost is going to be about the same as if I made them out of gold, but you live and learn.

Keep us informed on your progress.

George

Eric, was something wrong with the block you received from me?

Hi George, As far as I know the block I received from you is okay. I promised a NC guy that I'd buy one of his N/A 109 blocks when Pat got that block from you. The first N/A 109 block had water damage and wasn't readily apparent until they started boring it. The guy gave me another NA 109 block because the first one was bad. That's the block I'm getting bored right now. If this block doesn't work out then I'm going to use the one I got from you. Also Pat was interested in having a spare block, so unless I need it as a 3rd block for my build, he's going to build a spare motor with it.

The whole thought process of using a Naturally Aspirated 109 block is 1) Since it has never seen boost, it should be as good and strong as a factory new block 2) I don't have to worry about plugging up the oil return that a 109 turbo block has.

Sorry to hear about your header woes. If I go through the "Gotta have new headers" route, I'll more than likely get Kooks Custom Headers in Statesville, NC to do mine. They'll be expensive to have made (Probably around $2000 to $3000), but they should be the last set of headers I'd ever need.

yea we all make mistakes

Well overall design of the headers is very good. just needed additional welding-grinding on the ports but they should last a lifetime.

About ready to order my cam, I have the GN-1 heads that were set up for a roller cam, do you think I need to switch the springs out for the ones with the Weber kit?