Time to go big

Eric, this thread is inspirational. I'm with Jerryl, we need PICS!!

Right now there's not a whole lot to take pictures of. Just a block with piles parts here and there. The front cap is a tad too loose, so we're going to cut it down and re-hone. That's going to be another delay, but it'd rather have the delay now then to be pulling the engine again.

This is a much longer process than I anticiptated and it gets difficult to stay motiviated. I'm glad others are inspired by this thread and hopefully I'll get rolling soon with the short block.

. . . This is a much longer process than I anticiptated and it gets difficult to stay motiviated. . . . . .

Very true! :frown:
My motivation is from everyone telling me it can’t be done.
Some have given up, so it slowed me down. LOL!

So . . . . Eric, here is my $0.02;
Getting a HA in the mid low 11’s on pump gas has been done jut not with YOUR set-up. LOL :eek:;):D:eek::cool:

Seriously, you have to appreciate the journey as much as the results within your control.

Thanks Jerryl, I'm very hopeful that at the end of all this I'll be all :D:D:D

This is my first time ever building an engine and it's been a real emotional rollercoaster. Sometimes things you see things really coming together :D, other times you're at full stop and waiting for a machine shop, part to come in, the next full moon, etc...:(

I see a lot of positives in getting a shop to build an engine and just send cash, but there's a lot of faith you have to put in a shop to do it right. Also I wouldn't have learned anything.

At this point it's not looking good for my 3 week estimate, it may be two or more months. As I stated in the earlier posts I'm doing all this work at Richard Clark's shop. You may also be aware that in 2 months Richard's hosting the TurboBuick.com event at his shop, sooooo if I don't get everything together in the next month then I'm going to have to put all my stuff away and wait until after the meet to continue. There's a lot of cleanup work that has to be done to to his shop in preparation of this event.

In the meantime I'm enjoying my Pontiac G8 GT

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFdaWhk2tA[/YOUTUBE]

You can't get there from here lol

Eric

I so understand your frustations more than you may ever know!! But keep at it and the Hot-Air gods Wills smile upon you !

The next go around with my block,girdle, caps and crank fitting blah, crap. I'm just gonna say F-it and have someone else build it. Then i will just join the ranks of the CHECK WRITERS :biggrin:

But i can say i tried twice!

It's possible that the Hot Air gods are starting to smile. Richard Clark has made it a goal to get my engine together before the TurboBuick event. He took my block to a trusted machinist and told him to get it done NOW!

So it looks like I'll be assembling the short block early week:D

On a side note, once I'm all done with this engine I'm going to re-assemble my old motor. I have the block, heads, spare intake manifold, crank, rods, front cover, etc.. So if for any reason I hurt this new engine it'll be a swap and my car is back on the road. With all the time, money, love I've given this car, a little extra money and time spent to have a spare engine just makes sense.

Hope it runs great Eric.

I hope so too Jamie. If it doesn't, then my next try will be a Honda Civic motor with $3k put in it. Apparently those are beasts!

My block hasn't come back yet. I was really hoping to be assembling now, but as usual things are going quite as fast as I'd like.

The good news is Pat (SloGN) should have his GN up and going this weekend. I told him I wanted a ride in it since it's been many months since I've been in a Regal.

It's finally coming together.

Attachments

• Bare Block.jpg
    Bare Block.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 403
  • Crank_Caps.jpg
    Crank_Caps.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 396
  • Bottom Pistons.jpg
    Bottom Pistons.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 396
  • Top Pistons.jpg
    Top Pistons.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 388
Looking good

Eric, things are looking good. wish you the best, but I have a question. What's with the 30 year old freeze plugs. May just be the pictures.

Hope to get mine to a meet this year. It is coming along. Had another major problem with the new headers. The up-pipe coming off the passanger side header will not clear aftermarket valve covers. A set of RJC valve cover spacers are on order, but I doubt they will help. Looks like the up-pipe will have to be re-made.

Eric, things are looking good. wish you the best, but I have a question. What's with the 30 year old freeze plugs. May just be the pictures.

Hi George,
There's no freeze plugs in the block yet, so that's just the insides of the block. Should be installing all the freeze plugs soon and we're planning on doing a good flush on the block while it's running on the test stand.

Installed the cam bearings and cam right before I left last night. Probably install the timing chain, freeze plugs, front cover, paint the block this week. I haven't received the GN1 heads yet, so can't get too much further without them.

Sorry to hear about your uppipe issues. I hope the spacers help!

who has two thumbs and is super jealous of your goodies????

THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks totally awesome! I want to see more pix! Hell, I want to see it in person!!!!

John:)

Thanks everyone! I've had some recent turn of events in my life and now have found myself single, but that hasn't caused any less progress with getting my car back on the road. If anything it gives me more time and motivation to finish it off. If I can't impress them with my looks, I'll get them with my ride:tongue:

Here's a few pictures from last nights session. The front cover is on and now we're just waiting on the heads.

Attachments

• Chain.jpg
    Chain.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 331
  • Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 328
  • Gasket.jpg
    Gasket.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 312
  • Front Cover.jpg
    Front Cover.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 316
Yeah there was a debate about the timing chain and the stock chain won. The roller I bought had too much slack in the chain, and since a previous owner had the engine rebuild without the nylon gear then the advice was that the stock chain should work great. Granted the stocker has more drag, but who's actually broke a stock chain? There's more stories involving roller chains breaking then stock ones, so why not?

Heads are on their way, so just a little progress this time around. Balancer and crank sensor are in place.

Attachments

• Balancer.jpg
    Balancer.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 278