this turbo kit worth it??

JonnyBoost

Turbo Junkie
Okay the turbo on my 86GN is toast; I got my hands on a rebuilt stocker and found a shop to do the install.

The mechanic there says for $300 there is an oil-kit that they install to better lubricate the turbo and prolong its life.

Have any of you heard of this?? And if so do you think it’s worth it?? I don’t want to blow $300 if it’s not necessary

thanks fellas

No way, my friend. Save your money. Use a good synthetic and a PF-52, change it frequently, and don't worry about pre-lubers or post-lubers or auxiliary oil filters the size of Montana. Nice but altogether unnecessary...

BTW, what's this guy charging you to install the turbo? Has he done it before? Is he a TR guy? Do you trust him (good question in light of the above)? Ever consider doing it yourself or, better yet, with a TR guy's help?

:D

It sounds like he is trying to sell you a preluber. A preluber will pump oil trough your turbo before you start your engine. This will prolong the life of the turbo. He also might be trying to sell you an oil cooler, but 300$ sounds like alot for an oil cooler. The oil cooler is good for the engine and the turbo.

Well, there you go. Guys go 100,000 miles with the factory stuff - no pre-luber, and using the oil cooler in the OEM radiator.

I'm out...

:D

yeah hes pitching the pre-luber. and the reason why i brought it to him was because he prevoiusly owned a TR and hes my uncles bud. so i doubt hes trying to rip me off. i just needed some other opinions,
also do you think a ruibuilt stocker will last?? or should i lookin to getting a TA-49 or something similar

put it back STOCK!!!!! we have gone well over 100k with stockers.....Y reinvent the wheel???? IT IS ROUND:p