Thinking about this Low Budget Turbo, Injector and torque converter combo.

Jay you are 100% correct when saying " Buy what you need, not what everyone else has." h
Here is my theory on the 60# injectors. Wether or not you NEED them or wether or not you want them. When steping up to a larger injectors like the 50# injectors My point is that you can get the 60# injectors at the same price as the 50's so why not go ahead and get the larger 60# injectors? It won't hurt your combo, It won't hurt your drivability, They will lower your duty cycles, they will allow you to go larger on your combo in the future if you want and you won't NEED injectors then. So I see buying 60# injectors a Win / Win situation and pretty much a "One time buy" for most street cars..

New, Going from the 42.5lb to the 55lb injectors is only a $10 differance. Going from the 55lb to the 60lb injectors is only a $8.99 differance.

Scot W.

If that were the case then why does Detroit put different size injectors into every car? They could just put one injector into every car and calibrate around it.

Im all for getting the most bang for the buck but trying to cut those large injectors back to make them idle on a vehicle that doesnt need them can be a challenge. Also, fueling at WOT can also be a challenge since your basically making a leap of faith once the MAF maxes out. Granted some of the newer chips give you adjustability there but depending on what the initial curve is like, sometimes even thats not enough.

Buying what you need to reach your goals makes everyone's life easier. I just dont see the point in buying bigger just because its in the same price range, especially if youre never going to use it.

By your logic, there are about 15 different turbos that are the same price so you might as well buy the biggest one iin case you need it.

How much converter would I need for this combo?
How much converter would i need for the 6031E?
Would the PTS D5 2200 to 2800 be enough for both?

At least 2600 for the 44 and 2800 fr the 60. If you had a Garrett .63 ex you could get away with 300-400 less stall speed.

If that were the case then why does Detroit put different size injectors into every car? They could just put one injector into every car and calibrate around it.
Don't know! But were not talking stock injectors in cars from Detroit!!, were talking about a modded car that people keep modding from year to year!!

Im all for getting the most bang for the buck but trying to cut those large injectors back to make them idle on a vehicle that doesnt need them can be a challenge. Also, fueling at WOT can also be a challenge since your basically making a leap of faith once the MAF maxes out. Granted some of the newer chips give you adjustability there but depending on what the initial curve is like, sometimes even thats not enough.
I don't know how many 60lb injectors youv'e installed over the years but they are awesome injectors that Never needed to be cut back, Never was tricky to tune at WOT. I'm sure this board if FULL of people that love there 60lb injectors and have Never experianced those issues you mentioned..

Buying what you need to reach your goals makes everyone's life easier. I just dont see the point in buying bigger just because its in the same price range, especially if youre never going to use it..
Now you should know better by now that Everyone upgrades there combo sooner or later!! If not boost is usually turned up and you will be glade there is more on the table when need be! So I will be willing to bet most of everyone that has the 60lb injectors WILL use them at some point.

By your logic, there are about 15 different turbos that are the same price so you might as well buy the biggest one iin case you need it.
BUT, when you turn the boost up on any of those 15 turbos and try to get the most out of your combo (like Most of us do!) wouldn't it be nice to know FOR SURE you have the injectors there to supply the fuel?

I don't know about you but I like to know the duty cycle is there if need be.

Scot W.

At least 2600 for the 44 and 2800 fr the 60. If you had a Garrett .63 ex you could get away with 300-400 less stall speed.

Who sells the Garrett .63 housing?
Do you know how much they go for?
I like the idea of less stall especially for the amount of driving I do with this car

I like the idea of less stall especially for the amount of driving I do with this car

That ta61 i sold had the factory garrett housing, last i heard john craig from limit engineering could still make them.

If you could find out if that 6031E spooled just as nice, then just go with it and not have to worry about the older tech turbos.

Again, if you ran a ball and spring style boost controller you might not need a torque convertor if you picked the correct turbo.

I installed a ta49 on my dads car, it comes up quick with the stock convertor and a rjc boost controller, its a 11 sec car on pump and meth.

HTH
BW

Im sure Precision or Limit could machine a Garrett .63 housing for you. Just have to supply them with one. Any stock turbo has the Garrett .63. This makes a huge difference if the converter wasnt loose enough to spool the turbo. Using the Garrett housing really wakes it up

The cost to machine a Garrett housing quickly makes these budget turbos not budget any more. I checked on it for someone else. Its very cost prohibitive.

Don't know! But were not talking stock injectors in cars from Detroit!!, were talking about a modded car that people keep modding from year to year!!

I don't know how many 60lb injectors youv'e installed over the years but they are awesome injectors that Never needed to be cut back, Never was tricky to tune at WOT. I'm sure this board if FULL of people that love there 60lb injectors and have Never experianced those issues you mentioned..

Now you should know better by now that Everyone upgrades there combo sooner or later!! If not boost is usually turned up and you will be glade there is more on the table when need be! So I will be willing to bet most of everyone that has the 60lb injectors WILL use them at some point.

BUT, when you turn the boost up on any of those 15 turbos and try to get the most out of your combo (like Most of us do!) wouldn't it be nice to know FOR SURE you have the injectors there to supply the fuel?

I don't know about you but I like to know the duty cycle is there if need be.

Scot W.

Some people set ET goals and stick to them. I just call it like I see it. You can debate it with me all day long if you want. Im the first guy to sell people "the last one" of anything they need to buy but Im also the last guy to put a FAST in a 12 second car. Just because something is affordable doesn't mean it's the right choice but what do I know.. Ive only built cars ranging from 12s down to the 7s.

Im sure Precision or Limit could machine a Garrett .63 housing for you. Just have to supply them with one. Any stock turbo has the Garrett .63. This makes a huge difference if the converter wasnt loose enough to spool the turbo. Using the Garrett housing really wakes it up

thanks for the info.

The TE60 is a nice turbo for the converter range you named. Shameless plug, I have some in stock.

If you'd like to call me at the shop on Monday, Ill be happy to talk to you about your combination. I dont have any injectors or converters in stock so I dont have any of those to try to push on you ;)

I will be buying a TE-60 from you provided you have any left in a week or two So put one aside for me.
What is needed to install a TE-60 and make it work?
Bolts?
Rerouting of stuff?
Inlet pipe?

I will be buying a TE-60 from you provided you have any left in a week or two So put one aside for me.
What is needed to install a TE-60 and make it work?
Bolts?
Rerouting of stuff?
Inlet pipe?

It should be a straight bolt on. You wont need anything really. You could get a copper gasket to go between the manifold and the turbo if you wanted but if youre using stock manifolds, you dont really need it. They seal pretty well without one.

Springs maybe.. I wouldnt bother doing the cam unless youre going to do the heads.

Would a cam, springs and lifters help the cause?

see how you are wanting to add on "stuff" already and ya havent started yet ??? very few people I know can stick with a set up. Melissa had a mid 11 car for prob 10 years. keep it simple:cool:

very few people I know can stick with a set up. Melissa had a mid 11 car for prob 10 years. keep it simple:cool:

We're a rare breed!!! I've been running the same combination of parts for over 10 years also!

have a question for ya.. how fast did you go with this car ??? is the "17s" the best the car did?? I wouldn't blow threw more $$$ till the car goes 12s anyway like it is. is the $$$$ burnin a hole in your pocket ?? if so get the new parts then and try and find your problem after you get it all back together an still run the same times.