Thinking about this Low Budget Turbo, Injector and torque converter combo.

A 3000 stall ProTorque would work great with the TE-60. I just put a 3200-3400 in my GN, and my loaner TE-61 spools like a scared monkey!!

You're gonna like the 60. And I agree with Grumpy, keep the L/U.

I’ll be putting about 450 miles a month on it. Plus the unscheduled trips that come up.
And hopefully a few trips to the track.
So for me the LU isn’t negotiable.

On the Pro-Torque’s
I have a few friends that picked up their TCs and they where never right the first time and for one guy it took 3 times. This was ten years ago but I am still scared of them.
BTW another guy on this board also told me to get a Pro-Torque.

I have not decided on the stall speed yet and the reason is that I want to look into the Exhaust housing efficiency stuff Precision VS Garret housings that Bison pointed out.
I guess that should be my next thread “Precision VS Garret exhaust housings, which is more efficient and by how much?”

I’ll be putting about 450 miles a month on it. Plus the unscheduled trips that come up.
And hopefully a few trips to the track.
So for me the LU isn’t negotiable.

On the Pro-Torque’s
I have a few friends that picked up their TCs and they where never right the first time and for one guy it took 3 times. This was ten years ago but I am still scared of them.
BTW another guy on this board also told me to get a Pro-Torque.

I have not decided on the stall speed yet and the reason is that I want to look into the Exhaust housing efficiency stuff Precision VS Garret housings that Bison pointed out.
I guess that should be my next thread “Precision VS Garret exhaust housings, which is more efficient and by how much?”

I hear ya on the mileage. I put 7K on my GN in the first year I had it!

As for the ProTorque, I can only speak from my own personal experience. Ive helped install them in three different TRs, one of them being my own '86 GN. All have been right the first time. They are expensive but I wanted something that would last. I havent had any problems so far and the my car runs great, along with the others.

As for the exhaust housings, I hear the Garret housings will spool faster, but the Precision .85 housing will pull harder on the top. Im no expert on this topic by any means. I have heard that it is quite expensive to machine a Garret housing these days however.

I hear ya on the mileage. I put 7K on my GN in the first year I had it!

As for the ProTorque, I can only speak from my own personal experience. Ive helped install them in three different TRs, one of them being my own '86 GN. All have been right the first time. They are expensive but I wanted something that would last. I havent had any problems so far and the my car runs great, along with the others.

As for the exhaust housings, I hear the Garret housings will spool faster, but the Precision .85 housing will pull harder on the top. Im no expert on this topic by any means. I have heard that it is quite expensive to machine a Garret housing these days however.

G-Pop Shop just quoted me $150.00 to make an OE exhaust housing fit the TE-60. That includes return shipping.
I am NOT going to do this anytime soon but I figured I let you guys know the price I was quoted.

We all know i need all the "Faster" i can get
on Pro-Torque that was ten years ago

valve springs and valve stem seals are in the mail:biggrin:

i should have some thing to next week :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

compcams-980-12 just get here.:biggrin:
this the info on the box.
specs
batch number-2778
seat load-92# @1.7000"
open-230# @ 1.250"
spring rate-308 lbs/in
coil bind - 1.150

i also ordered the Compcams Valve stem seals Part#502-16
Specs
11/32 umbrella seat
yeahh

UPS says the turbo will be here tomorrow :biggrin:
i just need all of the tune up stuff and the valve cover gaskets
and some other junk.

The turbo got here today it looks good.
I need to get a "check" list going for the job.

And now comes the hard part of picking the perfect budget TC to help complete the combo.

How much is your budget?

It depends on the quality of the product and if its adequate for my "level" of performance.

MY Level = a TRUE DD, 11.99 (11.50 wishfully) and slower on a 3800# car with the driver and 1/2 tank of gas.

AND it must have be a L/U unit.

I've heard good things about the Precision "Vigilante" LU Torque Converter, a little more $$$ but great service, one free re-stall too.

Chuck

Try Pat's. They seem to be very reasonably priced and many people give them good reviews.

Made some phone calls and it looks like Pats 10inch 3000 with L/U is the front runner.
I talked to 2 other shops one I wanted to buy from them especially since they are local to me and the other one has a great rep and is a vender here but I just can’t bring my self to spend that much money. Not that there product isn’t good but I have a few more big ticket Items to buy and cash is almost running out.

So what do you guys think about the Pats 10inch 3000 L/U?

The turbo is in (thanks BWR) the car responded really well to it.
It comes alive at around 2800 RPM. But you know its there during regular driving.
I like the cars feel as it is, so for now I am just going to get the Injectors, ALKY electronics, Posi rear and 3inch THDP and see how it goes from there.

The turbo is in (thanks BWR) the car responded really well to it.
It comes alive at around 2800 RPM. But you know its there during regular driving.
I like the cars feel as it is, so for now I am just going to get the Injectors, ALKY electronics, Posi rear and 3inch THDP and see how it goes from there.

I guess it was the excitement of being able to drive the car again but no way it can stay as it is.
Before driving around I could hear the turbo wine and it would be at 0 boost with in 2000 rpm.
Now I don’t even get to zero boost until about 2800 rpm.

But like I said, above 3000 rpm it pulls hard.
So before I buy a TC I am going to try a Garret housing to see where it puts the boost.
The bad part is that the turbo shop said it would be 3 weeks before they can get the housing done.
For now I am going ahead with the injectors and matching chip, valve springs and posi rear. And hope for the best.

I guess it was the excitement of being able to drive the car again but no way it can stay as it is.
Before driving around I could hear the turbo wine and it would be at 0 boost with in 2000 rpm.
Now I don’t even get to zero boost until about 2800 rpm.

But like I said, above 3000 rpm it pulls hard.
So before I buy a TC I am going to try a Garret housing to see where it puts the boost.
The bad part is that the turbo shop said it would be 3 weeks before they can get the housing done.
For now I am going ahead with the injectors and matching chip, valve springs and posi rear. And hope for the best.

With a 9 or 10 inch 3000 stall converter you would need the garrett housing

You are right but if I dump $800.00 into a TC I can forget about everything else. :(

A converter should only run about 500-550 (Pats, PTC).From experience I can tell you that the garrett housing .63 will only make a slight difference in spool and the smaller high stall 3000-3200 stall will make a more noticeable difference;)

A converter should only run about 500-550 (Pats, PTC).From experience I can tell you that the garrett housing .63 will only make a slight difference in spool and the smaller high stall 3000-3200 stall will make a more noticeable difference;)

I am looking to go with the 10 inch pats but I would like stay at 2800 instead of 3000 and from what I have being reading the Garret housing will work well with a 2800.