The State of Organized BUICK Racing on the West Coast

There used to be a diehard group in our area that raced frequently for years lending credence to the name "BGNRA", then attrition began to take its course. Eventually it became the "Jason Hall / Neal S / Morgan H / Jeff Rand & Ray" Show more often than not at Fontana. Neal, Jason and myself would make the trip to LVMS and run. Frankly, I loved Speedworld, but again, how many So Cal guys made that trip and ran? Neal and I, at least that particular year. Given that I prefer 1/4 mile racing and didn't need to test suspension setups, I stayed away from Barona.

When Jason sold his burgundy Stage II Limited the writing was on the wall for me. I was already on the fence about keeping my GN, and my life was being pulled in other directions as I was getting heavily back into music (for those that don't know, I play a number of brass instruments and have been a musician for 40 years now.) After a long hiatus, I also got back on a motorcycle. My GN was too much for our local streets and its omnipresent LEOs. Quarter mile track options were (and still are) few, and on a few occasions I'd be the only Buick of any sort out at Fontana.

At the same time, I became very disenchanted with the whole "Yo!"/flat bill ballcap (still with pricetag) worn on the side/import a$$clown scene at the track, 400-car days (of which only 50 were fast), and pimple-faced, UTI-jacket wearing morons telling me "...your car would go faster if you just put a small block in it." ("Ah, I see you flunked 'turbocharging' at UTI.") In short, I was putting my heart and $oul into a hobby that simply wasn't fun anymore. I put my GN into a storage unit, took it out only on a few occasions, then once again to load it onto a trailer destined for Canada. Neal sold his Stage II T-Type a few months later, and my blue sleeper TR Limited had to find another home when job prospects were bleak. Within 18 months three of the stalwarts of the So Cal TR racing community since the mid-90's were done.

I now spend much of my free time rehearsing & performing with brass ensembles and trombone choirs (I have a full slate of performances this summer), or riding my H-D Sportster short chop with my kid. After summer school ends my son (he is 11 now) and I plan on taking a "Lap of America" road trip on the Harley in mid-July which will take several weeks.

This was just a long-winded way of saying that times & people change. I loved the racing part but disliked dealing with idiots at the track; unfortunately, idiots are not a dying breed, in fact, many go on to lead very fulfilling lives as managers, radio talk show hosts and politicians. I admire those that still have the energy and wherewithal to keep the GN/TR presence alive at the track.

And I am sure that everybody misses you guys, I know that I do, but as you previously stated, things do change, and sometimes not for the better. Hope that life's treating you well, Morgan, and I do thank all you guys for everything that you, Neal, Jason, & Jeff did to help and inspire me. Now I've got inspiration, I just don't have any get up and go. I have to insert my finger in a light socket every morning to make sure that I am still kicking. Good to hear from you, Morgan, stay in touch and keep us updated.

i remember the day that we had 15 to 17 GN's and T's all out at Bakersfield to race.. i miss hanging with everyone but i DO NOT miss the Grand National and the headacks that came with it. Plus the tracks around here SUCK :mad:

What is the state of organized BUICK racing on the west coast?

Is the WCN still a viable event for us all on the west coast?

What can we do to put together something that BUICK owners and racers on the west coast can be proud of?

Don, to answer your first 2 questions, the WCN event in Phoenix is the ONLY West coast Buick event. :)

On Nov. 25, 2011 there is a local Friday night event open to all racers.

Saturday Nov. 26 the day racing is when we do the annual Buick WCN.

The track also has a Saturday night event open to all.

Finally the weekend concludes with day racing on Sunday.

Never on the West coast has there been a Buick racing event with so much track time available in one weekend! :)

Last year we had about 50 Buicks in atendance, and less than 1/2 of them went down the track.

Where were the CA guys then?

Will they attend this year, or just continue to discuss why no Buick racing on the West coast?

Yes, that statement is a challange to motivate and move Buick owners into action and support this event. :biggrin:

This is not just directed to CA owners, but other in adjoining states, as well as local AZ people.

Bring your car, or at least yourself, as we need the support if this venue is going to continue? :eek:

This event is geared to one main objective - FUN!

We can set the race classes to whatever the attendees desire on the spot, but we need enough racers to accomplish this.

The event is funded by a few locals, and TA Performance because we do NOT want to see it go away.

will there be any candy?

I thoroughly enjoy the WCN, fun, friends, lots of Buicks, and usually some other makes to pick on.
I know I haven't brought a car to race in few yrs, but I still attend, to socialize and see old friends.
well worth the trip, ( about 4 1/2 hrs for me) :biggrin:

Sold, Nick. I'll be there this year. You guys better have your rides tuned up. :biggrin:

Looking forward to seeing you again Don! :)

Dick has a fresh stage engine going into his back-half GN, so you 2 should be a good match. :biggrin:

Like always, the "Candy Man", aka Lee, is in charge of that part of the program. :cool:

I miss Vegas, always seemed to be a good turn out... Phoenix is just too far, especially at $4/gal.

Nick,

You say the WCN are in part sponsored by TA Performance, yet they have not had a presence in the past three years that I have attended. What would it take to get them (or any other local manufacturer) to set up a both, raffle off a prize or host a tech session? I realize the Turbo Buick community has dwindled over the years, but all of the other organized events that I attend at Speedworld has manufacturer support with boths and shop cars making runs down the track. I would like to see this build up to a large annual event with some sponsorship and class racing. Let me know what I can do to help.

I miss Vegas, always seemed to be a good turn out... Phoenix is just too far, especially at $4/gal.

If moving the event to Vegas will increase attendance I am all for that, but from what I understand the WCN left Vegas because they did not get the track supprt they were looking for. Maybe somebody else can comment on this that was directly involved. Another option would be to rotate the event between Vegas, Fontana and Phoenix. The biggest problem with rotating the event would be securing the track dates and track support. That is the nice thing about Speedworld. We already have the race date, they let us rope off our own section and give us our own lanes and race classes.

How was the turn out at Phoenix ? I had heard about the support issue at Vegas, but if only half the cars turned out when they moved to AZ, kind of defeated the purpose.

Famoso had a great turn out as Nordy mentioned. Not sure why that place is always skipped over, much closer than Vegas or Phoenix for the LA crowd. Elevation is close to the others, and lots of chances to run, which you won't get at Fontana unless you rent the track.

Fontana may not be an option in the future. See the thread about Fontana in the S/W section.

Looking forward to seeing you again Don! :)

Dick has a fresh stage engine going into his back-half GN, so you 2 should be a good match. :biggrin:

Like always, the "Candy Man", aka Lee, is in charge of that part of the program. :cool:
I'll be freshening up my bullet before the event also. Tell Dick I'm coming for him. :cool:

(on the edge of my seat)

this is gonna be good!
west meets west....... no east coasters needed! :eek:

hmmm fastest v6 door car is from the west -Galina
fastest 109 block is from the west -Kerney
and mid 8 sec tiny motor car from west (Santee) Donnie

Williams..... car pool with some one, its worth the ride, beside gas is ALL THE WAY DOWN TO $3.75 a gal- LOL

I have a better question

If we could actually get the track in Fontana would we get enough people to make it worthwhile?

Let's say I could get it on a Friday from 9 to 5. Would you guys actually do it?

The weekend is out because the cost is way up there.

Hypothetically speaking 75 cars can race for 8 hours. You can run until you break or run out of gas.

Who is in?

If we could actually get the track in Fontana would we get enough people to make it worthwhile?

Let's say I could get it on a Friday from 9 to 5. Would you guys actually do it?

Hypothetically speaking 75 cars can race for 8 hours. You can run until you break or run out of gas.

Who is in?
I'd jump on it if the engine were already PMed.

Who is in?

I'd go if the cost was kept reasonable. Getting the time off is easy.

Who is in?

I would be game as long as I am not underway. I have been itching to get the car back on the track, it has been forever. Actually started playing with the alky that has been on the car for years... :D

Of course, $ plays a part, and a little notice. I will start stashing a little track slush fund in preparation. :biggrin: I would love to go make a day of it, meet some folks I haven't met yet, see the ones I have, etc.

I could attend for some half track testing if the event is before I've torn the engine down.
I plan on freshening the engine before WCN.

Gary,

My car IS cooler than yours, even though I've only seen it in person once............

Tell 'em, Lou!

=)