2019 West Coast Nationals (Tucson Az)?

Having been "involved" in the Vegas and Speedworld Buick events I would like to offer my opinion to hopefully make this event happen.

First, no way in hell can we do this as a track rental as we could never cover the expenses.

Vegas and Speedworld were always done with the track having a lane or 2 for Buicks. This worked out well, and it was very orderly, and we usually also had a reserved area in the pits for Buicks.

We had test-'n-tune runs, and also had competition runs with payouts. We would charge each racer that wanted to participate donated a fee which was for winners.

Further, at this point we do not have many Buick track racers, we should invite and solicit other brands for a "Buick vs the World" race to kick ass on Demons, Mustangs and other victims!

Make this a 2 day event, Sat/Sun as it would be very a-pealing to out-of-townr's.

Many hotels there are decent and very reasonable. We did a couple 2 day Buick events there a few years ago, and Saturday was a "party night", and there were a few hangovers for the social animals - I was NOT one of them!

Most of us stayed at a host motel with a special rate which helped.

OK Brett, take it from here, and I am preparing a turbo Buick to take on the new "Super" cars of the world!

I may not kick there ass with my new project, but we can have a "Super Class" vs the "Working Class" for bragging rights! :)

Last edited:
Ok, so I just spoke with the track director and we can potentially do a two day event in November on the 23rd & 24th. We would have to involve others brands and do a Buick vs Chevy vs Ford event as I don't see enough Buicks showing up to be able to cover the $10,000/day fees. Yes, $20k to rent the track for the weekend, sorry guys I just don't see it happening any other way. Just quickly kicking the numbers around we would have to have 80 cars/race entries @ $200/car and 400 spectators @ $10/person.

Also, being that we are wanting to rent the facility we would need to pre pay which means we would need to pre charge for race entries. We do this with our local private track rentals that we do and have not had an issue with anyone prepaying. At a cost of $20k we cannot count on people who say they "will attend" just to never show up, we need a deposit to show interest

Ok, so I just spoke with the track director and we can potentially do a two day event in November on the 23rd & 24th. We would have to involve others brands and do a Buick vs Chevy vs Ford event as I don't see enough Buicks showing up to be able to cover the $10,000/day fees. Yes, $20k to rent the track for the weekend, sorry guys I just don't see it happening any other way. Just quickly kicking the numbers around we would have to have 80 cars/race entries @ $200/car and 400 spectators @ $10/person.

Also, being that we are wanting to rent the facility we would need to pre pay which means we would need to pre charge for race entries. We do this with our local private track rentals that we do and have not had an issue with anyone prepaying. At a cost of $20k we cannot count on people who say they "will attend" just to never show up, we need a deposit to show interest
Joe, IMOP those days arent the best. Any way to get the 9th and 10th? As nick stated maybe they will have a T&T those 2 days and we can join in and just have designated lanes for us to save the cost..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Joe, IMOP those days arent the best. Any way to get the 9th and 10th? As nick stated maybe they will have a T&T those 2 days and we can join in and just have designated lanes for us to save the cost..

Whatever it takes, we need to revive this gathering.

I'm good for $200 to run one day as many times as I wish, ......... done it a bunch at MANY of Joe's track rentals. We CAN and must add other elements, brands and cars. Joe has proven this to be possible. $400 for two days and grudge racing? ...... Beat that......... 'nuff said

That's what many of us are looking for, just one day of unlimited T'N'T at a well prepped track and Joe has done a great job of making that happen. Brent can't do it by himself, but with enough support from our little West Coast community, yes he can do it, too. 2 days would be ecstasy......... and none of you have ever experienced the late night/over night fire pit party in Tucson. Most times it is EPIC!

Getting you Buick guys to come out of pocket to travel to Tucson for a "Buick" meet? That's a tall order..... You cheap bastards..... :rolleyes: We NEED you to involve others. There are a LOT of Cadillac guys that think they have something to run us with, they might be right, but it's worth a challenge.

Just as stout, are bunch of Mustang guys that that need some schooling.

I ask you guys.......How do we let this ($400 per) opportunity pass us by? Are WE that cheap? Add a thousand and are we REALLY that cheap? I'LL KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT RIGHT HERE........

Let's ALL work together to put this thing on. It's a great track, good people, and they want to put this thing together. The track operator is a good guy and will work with us.

Put up or shut up. I can't say it any differently.

Last edited:
I'm even ok at 500 a day and that's with a 500 mile drive.

But my 500 isn't much when we need 10k per day. I just know how cheap Buick people are and i think it's best during a regular event night.

I also would do 20 per spectator to help. I need to really figure this out

Why does it have to be in AZ we have Famoso which is a really good track as well as Fontana. If you want it to be a west Coast deal I think you would have more Buick’s attend if it was actually closer to the majority of the west coast Buick guys just my opinion.

Get some vendors involved? West Coast money has the same value as everywhere else, right? I recall going to Las Vegas years ago for a West Coast Nats. There are a lot of TR's out there in hiding just itching to get out and play.

I'm even ok at 500 a day and that's with a 500 mile drive.

But my 500 isn't much when we need 10k per day. I just know how cheap Buick people are and i think it's best during a regular event night.

I also would do 20 per spectator to help. I need to really figure this out

It's around 850 miles for me (at least 15 hours drive towing a trailer) and I'm cool with $500 if we can make this work.

Why does it have to be in AZ we have Famoso which is a really good track as well as Fontana. If you want it to be a west Coast deal I think you would have more Buick’s attend if it was actually closer to the majority of the west coast Buick guys just my opinion.

Are these 1/4 mile tracks? It was mentioned Tucson had some relaxed safety rules for guys without roll cages...

Are these 1/4 mile tracks? It was mentioned Tucson had some relaxed safety rules for guys without roll cages...
Yes they are both 1/4 mile tracks . I’m not saying all the turbo Buick’s are in Cali just more then AZ or Vegas . Anyway if I get my pile back up and running I would love to make it out to this event you guys are brewing up . And hope all the turbo Buick’s from all of the west coast make it as well because we need to get these bad ass Buick’s back in the spotlight

Why would I haul my car to Cali to be restricted to 11.5?

Tucson is an NHRA sanctioned track.

Bare in mind that relaxed rules would ONLY apply if the event is a TRACK RENTAL. The relaxed rules are the only way many of us can run our cars at their potential and additionally, it's the only reason many of us got involved in this conversation.

Gotta pay to play........

50 cars (they don't all have to be Buicks) @ $400 = $20K.

I don't think that's un-achievable if we reach out to other groups.

Whatever it takes, we need to revive this gathering.

I'm good for $200 to run one day as many times as I wish, ......... done it a bunch at MANY of Joe's track rentals. We CAN and must add other elements, brands and cars. Joe has proven this to be possible. $400 for two days and grudge racing? ...... Beat that......... 'nuff said

That's what many of us are looking for, just one day of unlimited T'N'T at a well prepped track and Joe has done a great job of making that happen. Brent can't do it by himself, but with enough support from our little West Coast community, yes he can do it, too. 2 days would be ecstasy......... and none of you have ever experienced the late night/over night fire pit party in Tucson. Most times it is EPIC!

Getting you Buick guys to come out of pocket to travel to Tucson for a "Buick" meet? That's a tall order..... You cheap bastards..... :rolleyes: We NEED you to involve others. There are a LOT of Cadillac guys that think they have something to run us with, they might be right, but it's worth a challenge.

Just as stout, are bunch of Mustang guys that that need some schooling.

I ask you guys.......How do we let this ($400 per) opportunity pass us by? Are WE that cheap? Add a thousand and are we REALLY that cheap? I'LL KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT RIGHT HERE........

Let's ALL work together to put this thing on. It's a great track, good people, and they want to put this thing together. The track operator is a good guy and will work with us.

Put up or shut up. I can't say it any differently.

I think he meant $200 per car for the weekend. This plus the 400 expectators at $10 each comes up to $20K

On average, test n tune is maybe twice a month. Looking at the 2018 schedule, some months had only one TnT and others none due to events. Sometimes they have a TnT lane open when doing other events but they get lowest priority. I once paid $30 to run TnT on a team race day and they never called me up to run and didnt give me a refund either

On average, test n tune is maybe twice a month. Looking at the 2018 schedule, some months had only one TnT and others none due to events. Sometimes they have a TnT lane open when doing other events but they get lowest priority. I once paid $30 to run TnT on a team race day and they never called me up to run and didnt give me a refund either

Crap, that sucks. Guess I’ll wait some more

Next track day is Hangover nationals. Looks like TnT is dec 27 all day. Other events during weekend

Every November in Las Vegas is the SCSN finals, it runs Thursday thru Sunday for most classes. I noticed this year there are some classes that are smaller and finish on a 2 day schedule, but you only get 2 test passes on Friday and Eliminations Saturday. There are many classes including the Pro Mod finals that always take the most time. Lots of waiting time. There is Mustang madness that Roush racing and Cal Hartline compete every year. It may be possible to add the Buick’s to one of the existing classes? The cost for an index class I ran with my truck was 75.00 with Winner Payouts 1250.00, 500.00, 200.00, and 100.00. Tech card and parking for the 4 day weekend was 80.00.

It a fun race tech for my truck was simple, helmet, jacket no questions asked.
Mel and Heather Roth run the Track and Event coordinations
QUESTIONS??
Heather Roth: Event Coordinator
heather@streetcarsupernationals.com
Call/Text 1-702-701-6464

Mel Roth
President
mel@pscaracing.com
Call/Text 1-661-917-3078

Every November in Las Vegas is the SCSN finals, it runs Thursday thru Sunday for most classes. I noticed this year there are some classes that are smaller and finish on a 2 day schedule, but you only get 2 test passes on Friday and Eliminations Saturday. There are many classes including the Pro Mod finals that always take the most time. Lots of waiting time. There is Mustang madness that Roush racing and Cal Hartline compete every year. It may be possible to add the Buick’s to one of the existing classes? The cost for an index class I ran with my truck was 75.00 with Winner Payouts 1250.00, 500.00, 200.00, and 100.00. Tech card and parking for the 4 day weekend was 80.00.

It a fun race tech for my truck was simple, helmet, jacket no questions asked.
Mel and Heather Roth run the Track and Event coordinations
QUESTIONS??
Heather Roth: Event Coordinator
heather@streetcarsupernationals.com
Call/Text 1-702-701-6464

Mel Roth
President
mel@pscaracing.com
Call/Text 1-661-917-3078

So, how fast is your truck (that tech thing.. ) and, how many passes did you get for your (if my math is right) $155?

So, how fast is your truck (that tech thing.. ) and, how many passes did you get for your (if my math is right) $155?

I ran in a 10.60 - 11.60 index class, I do not have a roll bar, stock seat belts, drag radials (class allows slicks) I didn’t run in the 10s but the tech just looked over the tech card and glanced at and said your good. No questions were asked by anyone the entire race. Thursday afternoon everyone gets 1 test pass, Friday 2 test passes, Sat 1 test pass and first round elimination, Sunday final eliminations all day. Yes 155.00, camped at the track with friends. Food, drink and parts vendors every day.