The Numbers Game with the (SPI) Trunk ID Label - Kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

A quick buick V6 history lesson that will lead into the next contest which will be in the next post. Some of us refer to the GN emblem as the turbo emblem the portion that signifies the turbo motion. Even I have referred to it as being such.

This is not correct it is really a V6 logo. The logo represents a "6" which is emphasized to indicate the Buick V6 is unique and special. The lower case "b" which could be utilized to develop a performance image logotype exclusively "Buick".

The flow of the logo is also symbolic of the spinning or turbine action of a turbocharger. This can be emphasized by using warm-to-hot color combinations which is evident on the 1984-1987 GN emblems.

The arrowhead draws attention and gives forward aggressive motion. The slant of the logo again emphasizes aggressiveness. The end result is the logo symbolizes the Performance Engine of the Future.

This is basically word for word from a Buick statement I found dated probably in the 1980s. So, it was designed as a V6 logo for their performance engines based on the V6 powerplant which includes the turbo ones.

Now with that in mind see the next post which is the next contest. Good luck.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

kirban 2 cents worth

Next trivia quesiton:

Its all Buick related

Anyone can play except the last previous winner and no turbo buick employees.

Your answers have to match mine

All the correct answers must appear in the same post.

Prize value is between $80 and $100 and will be annouced what it is when we have a winner. It is something nobody has won yet nor I doubt any of you have.

THIS CONTEST HAS A DEADLINE OF WEDNESDAY 3pm eastern time July 8th 2009. Reason being is I did an article on this topic to my Turbo Regal Inner Circle members and it goes out to them after that time.

Here are the clues:

During the 1980s Buick used at least 6 different emblems that included the V6 logo as noted in the earlier post. I own 5 of the versions in my collection. I lack one of them.

Of the 6, five are metal and one is plastic. (Decals do not count)

Do NOT consider any versions Buick put on the intake plenum or under the hood.

The first part of the question requires a total of 11 answers and I will be generous and list 4 meaning you need 7. Besides listing the 7, I need explanation defining the color of the V6 logo. In other words is it all one color two colors and what colors are they?

Here is another clue: Of the 7 cars not listed one of the emblems is found in the interior, the other 6 can be found on the outside. Remember it may not be 7 different models may be 1-2 years of the same car.

The second part is of the 6 different V6 versions 2 have overlaped the 6 logo in reverse. What two emblems are in reverse in your answers of the 7? By reverse, I mean they look like the GN center cap logo rather than the fender emblems.

The first part requires 11 answers here are 4 of them. You need to find the other 7 and explain colors like I did.

1984 GN, 1985 GN, 1986 GN 1987 GN all have the orange and red V6 symbol.

Once you nail that down you need to determine what 2 emblems have reversed the way it overlaps. Or the cars they appear on.

With the special prize value I hopefully made this a tough contest. We got a smart bunch here. Keep in mind as you post and I say what is rite and wrong it may help someone else nail it quicker.

In review:

You need 7 other listed models some may be the same but run 1-2 years, with explaination as to the color of the 6 symbol.

Once that is done you need to explain what 2 have reversed the symbol. List the cars the 2 reversed ones appear on.

Keep in mind one of these cars only has a plastic emblem inside. Other 6 are metal and found on the outside. Also keep in mind although I listed 4 correct answers that same emblem could be one of your answers for another model or year.

confused?

I hope I made it clear....but not too clear.

the clock is ticking

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

1981 Indy pace car( and replicas)
1982 GN prototype
1982 GN/Sport Coupe
orange and red logo

1982 GN had a clock delete plate with the V6 logo reversed arrow

1983,1984,1985 Regal T Type
Reversed arrow orange and red on black background

1986 Lesabre GN Solid red "6" on the Grand National badge
1986 Century GS Solid red "6"on the Gran Sport badge

1982 GN prototype
1982 GN/Sport Coupe
orange and red logo

1983,1984,1985 Regal T Type

kirban 2 cents worth

I will look at this later tonite....however, you have some of the answers that match mine but not all of them. I will state which is which later...meantime the game is still open.

One thing is I count the 82 1/2 GN as one car....also you have not located all the V6 that I am looking for....

kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

mr phone guy here is what is correct from your post

1981 pace car is one but still need to nail down the logo I am referring to.

1982 1/2 GN is also correct from what I understand and have read the literature shows the small emblem that appears on the 1983 however production shows the 1984-1987 style GN emblem.

1983 T-Type is correct and shows that small emblem

Your 1984-85 is not correct plus besides I included those years in my answers. I gave 1984, 1985, 1986, and 1987 GNs.

Your 1986 Gran Sport and 1986 LeSabre GNs are correct as is the colors.

What you are lacking is:

2 more car(s) could be same car 2 years and color combo for that V6 logo.
The Pace Car emblem I am seeking. Member one clue says one emblem is plastic.

Plus I need one more emblem showing that it overlaps in reverse. (Clue this may be one you have not mentioned yet).

Plenty of clues....

For you and whoever else may be game.

Kepe in mind I am not disputing some of your findings only stating that they your findings have to match mine.

That one emblem if its the one that appears on the rare 1983 T-Type never seem to be on every 1984-1985 version on the fenders.

Your close, just need to come up with a few more parts to match my answers.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Pace car emblem, have heard of them located on the dash and the back side of the rearview mirror. The emblem is plastic and has the car number on it as well.

That is all I can come up with for now

Pace car emblem, have heard of them located on the dash and the back side of the rearview mirror. The emblem is plastic and has the car number on it as well.

That is all I can come up with for now

kirban 2 cents worth

Your rite mr phone guy one more correct answer to your list....I happen to have one of those plastic numbered dash plaques....now you need the other two outside metal ones and what they are on....before anyone else...looks like you got very little competition on this contest.....good luck

kirban

in a hurry

1981 Indy Pace Car Plastic Orange & Red V6 Logo Center of Steering Wheel
1982 GN/Sport Coupe orange and red logo
1983 T Type, Reversed arrow orange and red on black background

For some reason Skyhawk and Riviera seem to jog my memory. Both had turbo models but I can not find a picture and the parts manual is of no use.:frown: I found a picture of the interior of the 1981 Pace car and it clearly showed a V6 emblem in the steering wheel center. Just another emblem to add to the list. The pace car also had the V6 logo on the wheel centers with a white background.

For some reason Skyhawk and Riviera seem to jog my memory. Both had turbo models but I can not find a picture and the parts manual is of no use.:frown: I found a picture of the interior of the 1981 Pace car and it clearly showed a V6 emblem in the steering wheel center. Just another emblem to add to the list. The pace car also had the V6 logo on the wheel centers with a white background.

kirban 2 cents worth

You got the one reversed emblem same as Mr phone guy however you also are lacking 2 other models or one model 2 years of the other V6 emblem and one reversred emblem...

time is running out....

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

bill will have next contest photos to you soon. Also photo to show readers the pictures behind this contest.

this contest I know has been complicated....

Be interesting to see the answers. I spent the afternoon going through sales brochures, parts books, id books, etc, and nothing, nada, zip. If Buick used the emblems on something they sure kept it a secret.

Is this one of the answers?

!BV1YTYwBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D8EjlLl)cYWBKUjIpEIVQ~~_1.JPG

kirban 2 cents worth

At this point between Mr Phone Mr AMC and Six Banger the answers for the 7 have been touched upon but no one has put the 7 in the same post.

As for the 2 of the 7 that over lap in reverse one has been noted. Still lacking is which is the other one from the 7?

Mr Low Sabre has shown an interesting logo however, it is not one I had in mind and although technically works we already counted that car. The 1982 GN is a confusing car because from what I have read and sen the literature shows that logo on the front fenders, but I have read that it was replaced in production with the 1984-1987 GN style emblems.

That logo is on of the overlap reversed ones that appeared on the frotn fenders of the 1983 T-Types.

I have decided to do something I have not done before concerning a trivia question.

See next post.

kirbanperformance.com

3 or 4 months back, I sold 2 '84-'85 Turbo Riviera emblems with the 6 and turbocharged on them.

This is the car I was researching and can not find a picture with the logo in it. If it indeed has the 6 logo you have the missing link

1982 GN prototype
1982 GN/Sport Coupe
orange and red logo

1983 Regal T Type

84-85 Riviera T Type orange and red logo

I still can not find another instance of the reversed logo other than the two I have listed

kirban 2 cents worth

I have ended this contest prematurely because there are some "gray" areas. I have already emailed Mr AMC a photo showing the 5 emblems out of the possible 6 from my personal collection.

To be fair and to award Mr AMC - Mr Phone - Six Banger - LeSabre each of you send me a pm. What all of you have won is an actual turbocharged Riviera emblem. I think this is the fair thing to do at this point.

This was the missing link I was seeking for the other car model and is the other one that has the 6 symbol overlapping in reverse compared to the GN emblems format you are familar with.

Your prize is a geniue GM part. It came on the front fenders of I believe 1983-1984 Rivs that were turbocharged. May have been used later and earlier but according to my books 1983 and 1984. I am not 100% sure but either the same size emblem or a slightly smaller one also appeared on the dash.

The emblem is very desireable for turbo owners as it looks neat on the console.
I don't know the production figures for the turbo Rivs but it probably was not many and even rarer to find today.

The emblem I do not have in my private collection appears on the 1983 T-Type and was the yellow/orange one that was the 6 symbol.

The emblem that is plastic was the Pace Car dash plaque. I have one with an actual car number on it and one that is blank in my private collection. You will see that as one of the emblems in the next post as well.

I have owned personally 2 of the rare 1986 LeSabre GNs. One I restored and sold it years ago for 10 grand. Next person sold it for over 15 grand.

I have never owned a Gran Sport Century which had a similar emblem which is also in the next post. (The emblem is).

While all these are rare they all relate back to Molly who designed these emblems for Buick back in the early 1980s why some are reversed in their format Molly does not know. Be like Coca-Cola putting a slightly different logo on a run of there one size bottles. Makes no sense. My way of thinking is whoever ran the medallions for the 1986-1987 GN wheels screwed up after they ran them.

For sure they should have been correct to match all the other Performance V6 logos on the 1986-1987 GNs...again just my opinion.

Sometime tomorrow I will have MR AMC post something extremely rare. I have the actual hand done prototypes of the turbocharged Riv emblems that Molly made. These are 1 of a kind.. their is no 2nd copy of any of them.

What you will find interesting about these 3 prototypes is the 6 is NOT over lapped in reverse, but done the "correct" way. In that same photo will be the production one as well.

kirbanperformance.com

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I will be emailing mr amc also the next trivia contest but will instruct him not to post until sometime tomorrow..