Trailering a Turbo Regal

Rayk

Let the Boost begin!
What are the best tie-down points for trailering an '87 Turbo Regal? And, approximately what does a one weigh with most options, all fluids, and spare in the trunk? The trailer is an aluminum 18 footer used trailer my '70 GS455 last year.
IMG_8309.JPG

I have a 5-spoke type of wheel that allows me to wrap a short strap around each wheel.

Don't attach your straps to the frame behind the rear axle.

I prefer to use the holes in the frame in front of the rear wheels, I cross the straps from right side to the left and left side to the right and secure to the trailer behind the rear wheels, I use the holes in the frame rails behind the front wheels. Not to the rear of the wheels, behind the wheels, in front of the front shock, and secure straight to the front of the trailer. I have ratcheting tie down anchors on all securing points on the trailer, so I crank it down tight, and leave the winch connected, if I needed it.... :)

I don't like the suspension being free to move about while riding down the road.

Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• Tie down points Rear.jpg
    Tie down points Rear.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Tie down points Front.jpg
    Tie down points Front.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Headed for Lou's place - 7.27.19.jpg
    Headed for Lou's place - 7.27.19.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I do the same with mine. Get the weight evenly over the trailer, not too forward or rearward.

We always keep the weight over the tongue for stability and tie down the rear axle criss crossed and the front control arms straight to the clevises.

I prefer to use the holes in the frame in front of the rear wheels, I cross the straps from right side to the left and left side to the right and secure to the trailer behind the rear wheels, I use the holes in the frame rails behind the front wheels. Not to the rear of the wheels, behind the wheels, in front of the front shock, and secure straight to the front of the trailer. I have ratcheting tie down anchors on all securing points on the trailer, so I crank it down tight, and leave the winch connected, if I needed it.... :)

I don't like the suspension being free to move about while riding down the road.

Hope this helps you.
The norm is what Guy said above, but if you don't already have straps, buy straps that go around your tires. There are many types and depends on how much you want to spend (just like anything else). The suspension won't unload if the tires are strapped down, and if tightened properly, usually you don't have to retighten the straps. If you cross the straps on the frame and don't tighten the hell out of them, then you will definitely have to retighten the straps somewhere along your trip. And definitely keep the weight off the the tongue, try and keep the car centered to the axels of the trailer.
For instance, the GS in your photo is probably a foot to forward, definitely to much tongue weight for that truck (you can tell how bad it's squatting). Just keep in mind, the more shit/stuff you put in the towing vehicle takes away from your towing capacity and especially tongue weight. Hope that helps..