The goal, the car, the plan...will it work?

OhioC5

Underwear model
The goal
10.98 in the 1/4 @ 1200' elevation. The car is a toy, but I don't want a slug from light to light either. The car will come out on sunny days and see the track two to three times a year. The quickest car I've ever owned was an 11.70 ET Corvette. I want to see 10's before I croak.

The car
1987 Grand National with 27k miles. It currently has the following equipment.
Unopened engine
Cutout
Dual exhaust
K&N cone filter
30# injectors
Oil press gauge
Water temp gauge
fuel pressure gauge

The plan
Scanmaster
Boost gauge
PTE 5858 .63 adjustable wastegate - correct turbo ?
60 lb Motron Injectors
TT Chip
2800-3000 Stall - need help with selecting manufacturer. I've had inexpensive converters and they turned out to be junk. I don't know if this is the same issue with our cars.
Comp 980's- is this the current part number?
Tires
Alky- Do I need it?
Stretched SLIC, Duttneck or factory intercooler?

What did I forget? Are my goals realistic?

You better plan on a trans too. The stock one won't last long.
Yes, on the turbo but it will probably be the minimum size that you'll need but I'm no expert.
Yes, I'd get alchy.
I'd get a Powerlogger to really see what the car is doing.
Yes, get a stretched IC.

Don't forget the 3" Downpipe.

No need to go crazy on the spending..

I don't see anything else you'd need..

ks

My combo is in my sig. It's in the ballpark of where you are going.

IF I were to install the 5858 turbo, and IF I were to use leaded racing gas or alky on top of the 100 octane unleaded, I think I could hit a high-10. It would be easier with a slightly bigger turbo. However, the TA49 has gone 10's on a combo almost exactly the same as mine with racing gas. A 5858 should be easier, in theory.

BTW, when I started making these power levels, neither my tranny nor my torque converter lasted very long in stock form. Plan on upgrading both.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

The plan
Budget-this is going to determine how 'easy' it is to reach your goal.Scanmaster
Boost gauge
PTE 5858 .63 adjustable wastegate - correct turbo ? On a stock unopened motor I'd say no. You'll need a turbo that'll flow enough for 520+ hp. 66/67 series
60 lb Motron Injectors - on race gas, you're fine.
TT Chip
2800-3000 Stall - need help with selecting manufacturer. I've had inexpensive converters and they turned out to be junk. I don't know if this is the same issue with our cars.
Comp 980's- is this the current part number?
Tires
Alky- Do I need it?
Stretched SLIC, Duttneck or factory intercooler? SLIC minimum

I didn't see the fuel pump/system addressed which is critical. Factory pump isn't going to get you there.

I would say maybe. Like stated above you need a good trans/converter. Then 30lbs of boost and a low 1.5 60ft time.

You can do it with a DUTT Neck IC too. I ran 10.80@124 with a DUTT neck IC and stock longblock.

It could be done with those parts but not easily. Boost will be in the 28-30psi range. A cleaned up set of heads would make this work a lot better even with the stock cam. You will do much better with a better intercooler than stock. Even replacing the neck is worth little since the
turbo has plenty of compressor wheel to overcome that pressure drop. Id spend the extra on a converter and or intercooler before I switched down pipes. You will be shimming the 980's quite a bit to get enough seat pressure. As already mentioned the old 44/49 turbos have been high tens on unopened engines in good air. Those turbos struggle to make enough boost to run 10's in heavy cars.. A 5858 will easily make the boost and would work well at the higher pressure ratio.

I've had great experiences with Vigilante converters. You think a lock up 9.5 Vigilante 2800 would do the trick?
I did forget fuel system, thanks. Looks like my budget must double what I had in mind.

Is there a better spring out there? I'm leery about pulling the heads off for a port/polish job. I'm not confident in the local machine shops that I know. I'm sure there's local guys that can do a nice job, I just don't know them.

I have almost all the things you need and most are barely used. A few passes and maybe 200 miles. Just pulled off car for new combo.

Scanmaster
Powerlogger
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Precision 45a turbo.
55# injectors w/ tt chip
Or tt 6.0 chip for 80# injectors
Fuel pump
tcs lock up converter 3000 stall.
Modded ECM

And probably forgetting a bunch.

Do your research on these cars and make it run perfect as it sits. Then get going on the mods. Any small thing you forget along the way can bite you easily with just a little too much power for the parts. Sounds like you have experience though. Was the 11.70 vette electronic fuel injection? If it was a carb, there is a learning curve with a TR, but a good carb guy gets the principals that electronic engine management is trying to replicate. Good luck and keep us posted. Don't get in too big of a hurry. See how fast you can go on your stock turbo; you'll be surprised!

Good advice, I need to slow down a little a look at the overall picture. The Vette was a '97 LS1, I tuned it with HP Tuners myself.
This is my head cam swap on corvette forum below. I try to do all of my own work, had lots of long distance tuning help. I couldn't have done it without a member over there.

I do pretty good work, this is my second GN. The first one gave me fits, never got it running right. I probably came back for the challenge.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2241924-started-on-my-head-swap.html

Good advice, I need to slow down a little a look at the overall picture. The Vette was a '97 LS1, I tuned it with HP Tuners myself.
This is my head cam swap on corvette forum below. I try to do all of my own work, had lots of long distance tuning help. I couldn't have done it without a member over there.

I do pretty good work, this is my second GN. The first one gave me fits, never got it running right. I probably came back for the challenge.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/2241924-started-on-my-head-swap.html

You're ready then. You may want to look into a powerlogger. I don't use one, yet, cause if I log, I'm thinking I'll just do a fast XFI at that time. I kind of want to see how fast I'm willing to go with just a scanmaster and stock ECM. I know many have gone faster than I ever will with that combo, but I'm shooting for 10.50's on a safe tune, so we'll see. Good luck, and seriously, keep posting. I love watching the progress.

I'm not familiar with turbos enough to know the number designations. I'm researching a TE45a and not coming up with too much info. I have an opportunity to buy TE45a, converter, maf, injectors and fuel pump. We're working out details now, I just need to do a little more research.

45a will get you there and then some. Cheap compared to some of the newer turbos. Go with an alky system....you will not regret it.

Let me start by saying I love these boards and there's great people on here. I bought a package deal from Jason, here's what I've bought so far. I don't need all of the stuff but the deal worked out for both of us. He didn't have to fool around trying to sell some small things and he was super easy to deal with, made my life easier.

Precision TE45A
LT1 MAF
MAF Translator
Scanmaster
55 lb injectors with TT Chip
Accufab adjustable FPR
Powerlogger
AEM wideband
Modded ECU
TCS 3000 LU Converter
Red Armstrong 340 XP pump
A Pillar gauge pod

Still going to need stuff below, but at least I took a big chunk out if it.
Boost gauge
re-burn chip
Alky
Comp 980's?
Tires
SLIC

OhioC5 said:
Let me start by saying I love these boards and there's great people on here. I bought a package deal from Jason, here's what I've bought so far. I don't need all of the stuff but the deal worked out for both of us. He didn't have to fool around trying to sell some small things and he was super easy to deal with, made my life easier.

Precision TE45A
LT1 MAF
MAF Translator
Scanmaster
55 lb injectors with TT Chip
Accufab adjustable FPR
Powerlogger
AEM wideband
Modded ECU
TCS 3000 LU Converter
Red Armstrong 340 XP pump
A Pillar gauge pod

Still going to need stuff below, but at least I took a big chunk out if it.
Boost gauge
re-burn chip
Alky
Comp 980's?
Tires
SLIC

I've got a new set of comp 980's with the pressures@height for 80lbs on the seat included for each one. They are fine for a stock cam and the spring tester used is certified. PM if interested.