The GN Godfather bought an 04 GTO

John Wilde

I'm getting too old for this $#!%
Staff member
Chris went down to pick up is motor at Duttweiler's last weeked.
After taking care of his business and seeing the goodies in the shop Kenny pointed to a Silver 04 GTO in the parking lot.
It seems that Kenny has a new daily driver and really likes the LSX Motors. He said that he could get 30 plus hp plus from just tuning. He also mentioned that heads, cam and intake with tuning will get him around 475 to 500HP. This is the 5.7 liter LS1 not the 6.0 liter LS2.

I wonder if we can get him to put a turbo on it?

lsx motors are crazy easy to make power in.

a good set of heads and a radical cam and some bolt ons, and you can easily make 475 or more to the wheels and drive it everyday!

I think you'll find a few TR enthusiasts have bought new GTOs. They are great cars, and the deals last December were literally once in a lifetime.

strike

:D

There was a Blue GTO at Atco a few weeks ago running constant high 11's......Car looked pretty stock as well.

wow how much things can change in a year. last year everyone on this board hated the car.

;) been lovin my GTO for over a year now.

Originally posted by jon_we4
wow how much things can change in a year. last year everyone on this board hated the car.

not everyone ;) but yea just about everyone hated it...... What really gets me mad about everyones crying about the car is they all wonted GM to come out with a RWD, V8 sports car so they did and look at what happened :mad: :rolleyes:

I picked up a Quicksilver 2004 GTO last week. It's an extremly nice car. Much better than the Dodge SRT-4 I was driving.... If you can find one, deals can still be had on the 2004's. Mine was $22,997+ttl. Its an automatic, but its still fun to drive.

Originally posted by jon_we4

I guess he knows a good thing when he sees it ;) What us GTO owners already knew :D

gto support

I'm happy to see other guys love gto's as much as they love GN's. I'm personally waiting for the 07 model year to buy my black gto, since my black 67 gto will be finished shortly after my income tax refund hits the bank. My Father bought the 67 from a dealership thats still in business here in chicago, so I'm goin right back there 40 years later to do what he did. I guess history sometimes repeats itself.

Re: gto support

Originally posted by Brer Rabbit
I'm happy to see other guys love gto's as much as they love GN's. I'm personally waiting for the 07 model year to buy my black gto, since my black 67 gto will be finished shortly after my income tax refund hits the bank. My Father bought the 67 from a dealership thats still in business here in chicago, so I'm goin right back there 40 years later to do what he did. I guess history sometimes repeats itself.

wow thats reall cool...... I plan on buying one someday but i gotta get the red neck out of me first ;) :D current dream car is a lifted, locked, stacked, propain injected, 2500 dodge :eek:

Are these easier to work on than the F- body cars, like changing the plugs, also how about the rear ends, are they stronger than f-body cars, inquiring minds need to know.

Ron

Unlike F-bodies, the motor in a GTO is NOT under the cowl. Everything appears to be out there in the open.

The GTO rear is IRS. That presents ita own set of concerns. BMR and others are chiming in with HD parts. Of course, IRS is terrific for the twisties.

strike

So you are saying the rear end in these cars are weak?? cause a company is making HD parts for it, I was hoping for strength along the lines of our cars.

Ron

I would not think a GTO's rear is as strong as our TRs for strip action.

If you're interested in the blow by blow, suggest you give a read on:

www.ls2gto.com

Let me add that a TR rear will need some attention when you start 60 footing in the 1.5s/1.6s, use high boost launches, use a transbrake, etc. So you could say you'll be opening your wallet in either case. Whereas Mark Williams can fix up your TR, there are others involved in beefing up GTO's IRS, with some pieces available now and some under development.

strike

responding to gto rear end ?

I saw a new 04 GTO leavin on a flatbed from Union Grove, (local drag strip) after blowin up the rear end. Since that was the first model year, im sure the problem has been addressed by GM engineers.

The 2005 rears have been heavied up, but it's likely in my mind that either a 2004 or 2005 will need some improvement for the more than occasional strip GTO...

strike

BMR has been a 1.46 60' with the factory IRS on their GTO so I'd ASSume they have the parts to beef it up....

Quick question for all of you GTO owners and it may be a stupid one so please forgive my ignorance... Can you order a GTO without the wing or is it a standard option?? Reason I ask is I think the car looks so much better without it! Anybody that has seen BMR's blue project GTO probably knows what I'm talking about.... If I bought one that thing (wing) would have to go!

Re: responding to gto rear end ?

Originally posted by Brer Rabbit
I saw a new 04 GTO leavin on a flatbed from Union Grove, (local drag strip) after blowin up the rear end. Since that was the first model year, im sure the problem has been addressed by GM engineers.

It is not really a first year car. It has been out for the Aussies for a few years (3 I belive). It is a Holden Monaro.

Quick question for all of you GTO owners and it may be a stupid one so please forgive my ignorance... Can you order a GTO without the wing or is it a standard option?? Reason I ask is I think the car looks so much better without it! Anybody that has seen BMR's blue project GTO probably knows what I'm talking about.... If I bought one that thing (wing) would have to go!

The wing is standard. You can take it off (4 nuts holding it on) but then you have 4 holes to deal with. Since it is imported from down under there is only ONE option you can choose. The standard automatic transmission or for $695 you can order the 6-speed manual.

FWIW, I belive the A4 cars et/mph the same or better than the M6's for the 2005's.

It is sort of strange, you get the A4 standard, but you have a $1300 gas guzzler tax. Get the M6 ($695 more) and you don't have the gas guzzler tax.

The rear end may not be as strong as the TR but for the occasional drag racer it is decent.