Another STL Introduction-'87 Turbo Ls GN

bhasmer12

What's up, guys? I've been on this forum for 2-ish years now, but didn't peak around too much. I was merely an admirer so I never made any posts. Well, that's about to change. I've finally got my own. Although, it really doesn't look like much.
76218_1964559916177_177573830_n.jpg

552123_1925719625194_1548450546_n.jpg

It's a nicer car than I think the images depict and we do have more parts than what is shown, but the car does need quite a few things. The previous owner bought it with the intent on restoring it, but got caught up with other projects. Gpa actually bought it only to steal the motor and transmission for his custom '33 Buick pickup. This left me with the remainder to do with what I chose. I'd actually started an Ls/t56 swap into my '81 Camaro...
399827_1692689119577_178563559_n.jpg

..., but when the opportunity arose for me to do a GN I jumped all over it. Gpa's got a pretty impressive collection of original, restored, and hot-rodded Buicks so I've grown up around them. When I first heard of the turbo Buicks and what they could do, I knew I would one day have one. The time for me to get one came about a year ago when it was time to ditch my first car. Well, the Buick lost the coin toss. I ended up with my beloved GTO...
536510_1855498429708_904704547_n.jpg

It's a 2004 so she's got the 5.7 Ls1 with SW headers, catless mids, a custom Flowmaster exhaust, K&N, Hurst shift, and 77,xxx miles. I love this car and have enjoyed modifying it for the past year, but a day hasn't gone by that I haven't second-guessed my decision to get it over an '87 GN. In the end, I was won over by the 6-speed and the fact that the car was nearly 20 years newer. I just didn't want to deal with problems that may or may not be associated with a daily driven 25 year old car. I recently picked up a little Mazda to drive everyday to school and started giving thought to getting rid of the GTO for a GN. This is when I came to my senses, decided not to sell the GTO and postpone my Camaro, so that I could have my GN.
Seeing as how I've already acquired a number of things for an Ls swap, I'm going to use them on this build instead. I've got a 5.3 and 6.0 ready to go in, I just have to decided which I'm going to use. The plan is for a budget turbo build using a single On3 Performance ball bearing turbo, turbo cam, e85 and meth injection that hopefully yields 600+hp/tq at the tires. I'm going to save my t56 for the Camaro so I need a trans for the GN. I was thinking a 4L60 with a 3600-4000 stall would help get me into the 10's, but I'm up for any and all suggestions. I'd love to do a GNX clone and paint it either red or white, and hope not to piss off too many purists by doing so.
Enough with the specifics, I'll save that for a more appropriate thread.

Well, that's about it fellas. Just wanted to say hello and tell a little about what I'd be doing... Some of you will see me lurking and asking questions in the "LSX Tech" and "Turbo V8 Conversions" sections.
Anyways, thanks for looking and for all the future help!
Brandyn

Figured I would add to this with another of Gpa's cars that he just got.
542172_1964561116207_1884998952_n.jpg

383516_1964562316237_1127970731_n.jpg

307985_1964563276261_636396945_n.jpg

598753_1964563516267_1470756172_n.jpg

It's a '78 with the '87 GN motor, 200-4R, rear end, and a one-off steering box. It's definitely got the GNX intercooler and we think turbo, as well. It was supposedly a Buick engineering test car that was used in the development of the GNX. This seemed odd to me knowing that all GNX's were sent to ASC McLaren in Europe for their builds/changes. We don't know a ton about the car, and so we're hoping some of you will be able to assist us. We have some paperwork on it, but we couldn't decide how much of it was worth buying into. Either way, it was worth the $2k he paid. Anything we find out after that is just a plus. He hopes to get the car painted and take it on trips to the farther Buick shows. It's difficult on the older cars to make some of the trips and it's no fun showing up in the '12 LaCross so he decided to get this. The car only has 18,xxx on it, if I remember correctly, so hopefully by next summer we can add some more.

Welcome.... my brothers and i saw that car on Craigslist too.... the story doesnt make any sense at all... i would guess it is all BS. there would be no reason to test an 86-87 drive train in a 78 regal... besides the BS, it would be a cool sleeper, and if the engine and harness is okay - a decent price.

Anyway i think i have seen you on STLSR.

cant wait to see more progress photos..

aaron

Welcome to Turbo Buick

Thanks.

Welcome.... my brothers and i saw that car on Craigslist too.... the story doesnt make any sense at all... i would guess it is all BS. there would be no reason to test an 86-87 drive train in a 78 regal... besides the BS, it would be a cool sleeper, and if the engine and harness is okay - a decent price.

Anyway i think i have seen you on STLSR.

cant wait to see more progress photos..

aaron

We're kind of on the same page. We're optimistic about the story, but didn't really invest much into it. The car is surprisingly nice. The swap was very well done, and they, whoever that may be, actually left the '78 harness in, as well. The motor does crank reliably and smoothly, so no issues there. It's not getting any fire, though. The guy we bought it from was clearly no mechanic and makes no claims to be so I can't really fault him. The car was left to him in his Gpa's Will. We asked what he did to attempt to get the car running. He said they 1. removed the old gas and had the tank cleaned 2. replaced the fuel filter 3. changed the oil 4. bought new spark plugs, but never got around to getting the old ones out (LOL on nearly all accounts). Gpa and I have not tried to get the car to fire as we've been pretty busy with other things and other projects. He's thinking about just bringing it to my school, Ranken Tech., and letting some of us figure it out down there. He's fully capable of doing it, just doesn't have time.
Anyways...Whether the story plays out to be true or not, it's still a neat, complete car for a fair price. 18,xxx on the body and no rust. After a little time and love, it should be quite the sleeper.
STLSR? Nope, wasn't me.

welcome to the board man. Nice GTO BTW. When i first seen you from STL and then seen the GTO, i thought you were the guy picking with me the other night, but the guy picking with me was in the 6.0 I believe. I ignored him as im still in the process of some tuning. His exhaust was extremely annoying. When he would get on the gas and let out, it made more noise when letting off then getting on it. Crazy. But anyway, look forward to you getting the TR on the road.

welcome to the board man. Nice GTO BTW. When i first seen you from STL and then seen the GTO, i thought you were the guy picking with me the other night, but the guy picking with me was in the 6.0 I believe. I ignored him as im still in the process of some tuning. His exhaust was extremely annoying. When he would get on the gas and let out, it made more noise when letting off then getting on it. Crazy. But anyway, look forward to you getting the TR on the road.

Glad to be here. Thanks, she's my baby! Nope, wasn't me. The 6.0L can be deceiving...there's quite a few of the '04 (Ls1) people that replace their '04 hood and rear fascia with the Ls2 stuff. Was it a yellow one? Anyways...was it a yellow one? I'm just curious because I know a large amount of the GTO owners around this area and can't think of a yellow one with annoying exhaust (that happens to be one of the downfalls of GTO owners;a number of them have poor taste in exhaust. For whatever reason, they love Corsa Sport mufflers. Corsa is fine...until you ditch the factory cam. Then it turns into a popcorn maker. :confused:
- Enjoy). Yes, I can't wait for the GN to be done. I still need to snag a set of tail lights and the passenger head light. I believe that's all I need for the body to be complete. I picked up an 8.5" GN rear end this past weekend. I have a 4L80, now. Pretty much all that's left to purchase is the turbo stuff, Ls3 top end, meth kit, a battery would help :p, gauges, and whatever other miscellaneous stuff I will need.

And which Ranken institute are you going to? location? I went to ITT Tech in Earth city.

I'm going to the campus that in the city near Kings HWY/Delmar. Ah, cool! What did you study at ITT? That's actually right by my shop. We're right there on the Rock Rd. near Earth City by Jimmy John's. What city do you live in? If you're close, and willing, I'd love to meet up sometime. I don't know any turbo Buick owners, and have yet to ever ride in one.

Yes, that GTO was a yellow one. No spoiler, had the 6.0 badge, and it def sounded like a popcorn maker(only when he let off the throttle, otherwise it sounded great).:) I graduated from ITT in 2010. I got my Bachelor's in Electronics Communication Engineering. I know exactly where that JJ's is located. During my high school days I went to Gateway High on South Kingshighway near 44. I grew up in North Saint Louis, but now im located in Florissant. My cousin graduated from the Ranken location you are currently attending. Wouldn't mind meeting up some time. Im still doing some tuning b/c I just installed bigger injectors and a TT chip. Need to get my O2's up in 3rd gear.:eek:

Yes, that GTO was a yellow one. No spoiler, had the 6.0 badge, and it def sounded like a popcorn maker(only when he let off the throttle, otherwise it sounded great).:) I graduated from ITT in 2010. I got my Bachelor's in Electronics Communication Engineering. I know exactly where that JJ's is located. During my high school days I went to Gateway High on South Kingshighway near 44. I grew up in North Saint Louis, but now im located in Florissant. My cousin graduated from the Ranken location you are currently attending. Wouldn't mind meeting up some time. Im still doing some tuning b/c I just installed bigger injectors and a TT chip. Need to get my O2's up in 3rd gear.:eek:

Hmm...can't say I that one then. They need to leave town, though. This is my turf. I liked being the only yellow one in the area.
Ah, very cool. Good for you, man. Electronics just isn't my thing. I'm getting better with them, though, or at least the electronics associated with cars and car things...
Well if you head on the Rock Rd. maybe an 1/8th of a mile (if that) past that JJ's our shop is the one on your left kind of across the street from the dump. You may or may not have seen it. It's not directly next to the road. We have a bunch of older Buicks and such behind a gate there.
I'm from St. Charles so I can't really say I've heard of Gateway HS.
Cool. Well, whenever you wanna' meet up, you know how to get ahold of me. You have two turbos in this bad boy??? Shit! If we ever meet up, you might hear me begging for a ride.:D

Cool. Well, whenever you wanna' meet up, you know how to get ahold of me. You have two turbos in this bad boy???
Lol. Im sorry. A TT chip is a Turbotweak chip.:) A lot of TR owners use Eric from Turbotweak to burn their chips along with a few others. So I'm running the stock setup with the single turbo, IC, etc etc. I bowl out in St. Chuck a lot. Im sure I've seen your car once or twice. Once I get the TR dialed in I'll hit you up on here and let you know. ;)

I know who built that 78 regal. It was not a GM test car but it was built by a GM field engineer and given to his father. I almost bought it back in 1990. Was built in Mich.
DDay

Lol. Im sorry. A TT chip is a Turbotweak chip.:) A lot of TR owners use Eric from Turbotweak to burn their chips along with a few others. So I'm running the stock setup with the single turbo, IC, etc etc. I bowl out in St. Chuck a lot. Im sure I've seen your car once or twice. Once I get the TR dialed in I'll hit you up on here and let you know. ;)

Oh, oops! Guess I have to learn some of these TR acronyms...
Yeah, probably. I used to DD it so it was out and about daily. But now it might come out once a week. It's been at a few local shows, but I rarely enter it. I normally just park by the normal cars and walk around to see the rest.
Sounds good, Phil!

I know who built that 78 regal. It was not a GM test car but it was built by a GM field engineer and given to his father. I almost bought it back in 1990. Was built in Mich.
DDay

Oh, really??? Do you have any more information on this on it or know where we could find some or who we could call?

I have not talked to the field engineer for a long time. Im sure he is retired by now but I remember his name, Im not going to post it here.There was a GNX intercooler on it when I looked at it,dont know about the turbo. I think it had a factory 87 wirring harness installed. He had access to what ever he wanted.
DDay

I have not talked to the field engineer for a long time. Im sure he is retired by now but I remember his name, Im not going to post it here.There was a GNX intercooler on it when I looked at it,dont know about the turbo. I think it had a factory 87 wirring harness installed. He had access to what ever he wanted.
DDay

Ok. Gpa asked if you'd be willing to chat on the phone for a bit about this thing. I'll send you a PM. Gpa is just wanting to learn some more about this car he bought. Sounds like we're talking about the same car...GNX intercooler, haven't verified what the turbo is yet. And yes, it's got the '87 harness as well as the complete '78 harness still installed. Sounds like that guy had it all figured out.

Where did you find the car?

We actually found this car not 5 minutes from my house here in St. Charles, MO (25-ish minutes east of St. Louis).