The ever shrinking nothing

It is a fact that this community is dwindling despite what some may think and I do believe that the internet has inflated some issues while it has helped resolve others. The fact that it lends itself to anonymous communication in which folks can simply toss anything out there without fear of being truly called to task on it has run some off, isolated others and generally allowed those that would otherwise not act this way in person to constantly pour fuel onto different fires.

The strong may survive but not if they are Buick specific shops. The fact of the matter is that stock parts are getting much more difficult to find. (People such as myself hoard them in large amounts for those reasons.) The aftermarket is not what it used to be and there are many who have seen the writing on the wall, not just me.

People are selling their cars or swapping motors at the very least. The LSX, modular and import technology is consistently moving forward and although it happens at a rather slow rate the fact is that every year a few more have left and more often than not there is a huge sigh of relief in doing so. The sad part is that it is not just because they didn't want the heartache of the car anymore but they also didn't want the headache of the BS associated with the online community. I bet you take a look at web traffic over the last couple of years and will find that is has slowed.

The fact of the matter is that it takes more money and effort to make these cars run with some of the newer performance based cars and people used to like learning from one another. Now there is always some beef with this group or that group. There are several people that I absolutely loath and have watched perpetuate more and more of the same year after year. It is like hearing the same music with different lyrics. Eventually someone is going to take issue with a vendor at one point or another but I have seen some here and on other TB sites trash not only their business but them personally, their families and the like. I have not found one issue since I have been involved with turbo Buicks that could not be resolved with a vendor by picking up the phone.

This just may be my opinion and some may find it off in left field which is fine but as each individual leaves another small part of the community leaves with them. Some say - "So what, another will follow by purchasing the car". This is not always the case as I know of several that have sold theirs and the cars are either taken to shows every once in a while or just sit in a garage with several other garage queens. Very rarely are they on the road and never at the track.

Jim C.

Just seems like too much hassle to continue in the world of Buick business as too much hassle for the return?:mad:

Yup and it's called opportunity costs - is the cost of something in terms of an opportunity forgone (and the benefits which could be received from that opportunity), or the most valuable forgone alternative (or highest-valued option forgone), i.e. the second best alternative. The answer that more and more turbo Buick folks are coming to is no.

Because it is hard to share "feeling" on the internet is maybe why sometimes we think our community is getting fragmented?:confused:

I would agree that is part of it but I also believe that there are some that never have figured out how to word their posts as they would speak to an individual in person.

Jim C.

I'm beginning to think the same thing.. I have pondered getting out of the Buick world so many times I lost count. There are a few vendors/Buick owners out there that I really respect. I guess that is why I'm still a owner of two Buicks. I race one and am going to restore the other one. I have owned several Buicks over the years, buying and selling. I see a day in the near future where I only have one Buick that is garage queen/weekend warrior and I move away from racing the other. :frown:

Jason as years go by lifestyles change :biggrin: I got out of the Cobra/Shelby market in 1980.. tired of all the BS'n... then in 86 got into buicks :rolleyes: now lookin for another way to go for a while .. Buicks were really great to me .. went like hell and get good gas mileage !!! I took Melissa's car up to the mountains .. got 20 MPG ... doesn't really get better than that :cool: now back to hallucinating about what I want next :p tuff life !!

Anyone ever call up a Buick vendor and wanna spend your hard earned money,and you wanna ask a few questions about a product,and you feel like your bothering them?Or they make u feel stupid?:confused: why is that??

Anyone ever call up a Buick vendor and wanna spend your hard earned money,and you wanna ask a few questions about a product,and you feel like your bothering them?Or they make u feel stupid?:confused: why is that??

Nope never had that problem. I have talked with Mike Licht, Nick Micale, Julio Don, John Spina, Johns Pearcy, Brian Weaver, Eric Marshall, Jack Cotton, and Mark Heuffman. That is a lot of vendors and they have always been friendly and very knowledgeable. That is what I will keep going back.

Some people call me crazy, but I would much rather spend a couple hundred more for a piece that bolts right in and works. The hobby begins to become a job when nothing ever fits or works as supposed to. I will always buy from the Vendors even if the price is a little higher. If you keep buying chinese the vendors will leave...

My $0.02 Jason

Nope. When I call vendors with questions, I do more LISTENING than TALKING, because I called wanting information- not asking a question, then telling the vendor the answer.

Polite and professional begets polite and professional. Being a jerk only gets you grief in the end.

I think as long as people continue to support the peddlers of chinese knock off junk who give nothing back to the buick community you will see the decline. Why bring a well built, high quality item to this market to have it ripped off? Why support that same community with race event, forum sponsorship & product development? I can't think of any reasons???

Nope and I've talked to most of them too, they have always gone out of their way to help not sell me parts I didn't need....Well Grumpy did call me a dumba$$, but I deserved it :biggrin:

I have to agree, I had it happen to me a couple of times a couple of years ago... Called Gbody and Brian spent hours on the phone with me. In return I have spent mega $$ with him.

I too rather pay a little more for something I know is right and get good customer service along with it!

Help support the turbo Buick community and TB.com by supporting the suppliers, vendors and / or turbo Buick Specialty shops that are TB.com Sponsorship Team members.
--------------------------
I feel that it is important to support the TB.com vendors & suppliers as much as possible. I have had nothing but positive experiences with all of the TB.com suppliers that I have dealt with over the years. This includes but is not limited to: Dennis Kirban @ Kirban performance, Mike & Mariann @ Full Throttle Speed & Style, Brian @ GBodyParts, Tom (?) @ Gyrhead, Nick micale, (Arizona GN), & "grouchy" Lou Czarnota at Lou's Automotive to name but a few that I can remember. I have met & conversed by both tele & E-mail with many wonderful people that I have become friends with over the years. If I could put a quantitive value on any bad or less than satisfactory experiences with any TB.com suppliers, it would have to be 0. Can't really think of any. I have had many people in the turbo Buick community, especially the Southwestern Section, either help or entirely do work on my car, and would not take any money for their work. Fwiw, this really eases the pain of growing old, and you will understand what I mean when you get there. The commradeship that we share within the turbo Buick community is truly remarkable, and I am thankful to be a part of it. God Bless all, well, that's only true if that's who blesses you.

Oops, where's that edit icon? My bad, forgot Russ mettitt of Merritt Performance & "Race Jace" Jason Cramer of RJC Racing. I have probably forgotten more than I remember. Where's my meds?

It's a sad day in the Buick community. I just realized how many vendors got out of the turbo Buick parts and service business all-together in recent years. What I have seen in my ten year tenure is that this community is detroying itself from the inside out and I don't remember it being this way before. I have seen key figures with more money than either couth or ability continually run amuck and bad mouth most everyone at one time or another. The true question is when they are finished performing their antics what will be left for the "average Joe" in terms of parts and or service? I believe what will happen is that those that can't afford what little is left will either resign their cars to garage duty or sell them to some collector that will do so.
Jim C.

Yep. I agree. Though who wants to R&D stuff when this http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/pa...ay-who-needs-parts-its-going-under-knife.html is happening by the handfuls every day? It's not worth it. Companies are abandoning the G body buicks every day. It sucks bad, and I feel it as well, but I can't say I blame them. Keep cuttin em up guys. Even though we may rise the the convertible 'cuda realms, it won't be any fun any longer, cuz bumpers will be 2000 dollars, and noone will drive em anymore. Sounds lame to me.