The best street turbo?

STAGE 2

3rd and long
I know, I know.... it depends on the combo. Well the end result will be a basically stock block, stretched IC, MSD 50's, 2800 stall converter, and a chip from turbotweak.

Given what I want, right now the TA49 is looking like my best bet. Is there anything else better? Id prefer it to be stock appearing and I'm not going to change my converter or have the "need" to grow as far as the other parts are concerned. I've got other cars for that. This one is a 98% street car. Price really wont be a factor for this one either. I dont know much about the ball bearing turbos or if they would be better. Opinions please.

TA49 and TE44 are tought to beat on stock motors. I have a GT3255 on my TTA. I have not noticed the great spool as advertised yet. But the 44/49 are proven winners.

TA60 i've had one in my car for 4 yrs and love it. great turbo super fast spool, i wouldnt go any bigger due to your stall, but the 60 would work just great and it supports 570fwhp.

a 44 is a mean light to light turbo !! I had one for years and ran 11's on it with a stock engine. off idel about a 5ft roll then blazing tire madness .... ahh the fun :biggrin:

ta60 here, not a whole lot bigger than the 49 or 44 but its bigger. will work great with the stock converter too. :D

Joe,
What is your opnion on the GT32? Mine feels pretty strong, but I have not got it dialed in yet.My TTA went 108MPH with 18lbs of boost. The rest of the car was stock. I hoping to get it up to 20+ this spring.

Sweet6 said:
Joe,
What is your opnion on the GT32? Mine feels pretty strong, but I have not got it dialed in yet.My TTA went 108MPH with 18lbs of boost. The rest of the car was stock. I hoping to get it up to 20+ this spring.

I feel GT3255 also is a great street turbo...I usually recommend for Stock Convertor type cars.
It will not make as much peak HP as the 49, 44, 60, or 61 type turbo's (rated 545 fwhp thru 650fwhp). I believe max hp rating of the 3255 turbo is around 470-490 fwhp.

Thanks Joe, I definitely noticed the mid range pull over the stock turbo.

What do you think max boost on a stock motor is with this turbo? 25lbs?

Thanks for the replies guys... one more question. What will be the differences between the 49 and the 60 as far as street manners go.

Joe Lubrant said:
I feel GT3255 also is a great street turbo...I usually recommend for Stock Convertor Cars type cars.
It will not make as much peak HP as the 49, 44, 60, or 61 type turbo's (rated 545 fwhp thru 650fwhp). I believe max hp rating of the 3255 turbo is around 470-490 fwhp.

Must be pretty close to true on the HP. I doynoed a car the other day with the GT3255E and it made 405 rwhp, 558 rwtq. Stock heads, 206/206 and about 23# boost with pump gas and alky. I also think it has more mid range and I am def happy with that little turbo. Probably coulda made more power but tryin not to put the car on the "edge". Def needs to be a turn key car for this guy.

STAGE 2 said:
Thanks for the replies guys... one more question. What will be the differences between the 49 and the 60 as far as street manners go.

With the 2800 stall you have, don't think you could tell a difference between them as far as street manners. Should be fine.

Russ, thanks for the info on your test of 3255 at 23# etc. Nice power!
Back when I worked for you know who....I dyno'ed a 3255 on a Stocker at ANS and got 300hp at the wheels (4300rpm) at 16.5-17# on 93. :)

GNBUICK87 said:
;)
what about the te 60 WITH A 3200 STALL

Basically you only need as much stall necessary, to adequately spool the turbo.
Minimum stall requirements for certain turbo's have been published by certain turbo mfg's.
If you have more stall within reason it should also be ok. The 3200 for the TE60 is more than needed, but shouldn't cause any major issues with streetability.
Just really don't need the unecessary slippage & heat that the higher stall convertor generates.

Joe Lubrant said:
Basically you only need as much stall necessary, to adequately spool the turbo.
Minimum stall requirements for certain turbo's have been published by certain turbo mfg's.
If you have more stall within reason it should also be ok. The 3200 for the TE60 is more than needed, but shouldn't cause any major issues with streetability.
Just really don't need the unecessary slippage & heat that the higher stall convertor generates.

or would a 3000 stall be better

I just got a te-60 with the garrett .63 housing and a 10.5 l/u 3000 stall ck performance converter. I was told that this should be a good combo.

Can't wait to find out. Its killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not to take the thread, but I jsut had a question....is the TA60 much better on a stock motor than a PT51 for spool up? It seems to be ah hair smaller but I was jsut wondering if it(or a 44) is worth going to.

Hey Joe

I know it's good enough to get booted for no bar in the car.....

Went 11.49 @ 117.22 on my second pass and promptly got told by track officials I was all done for the night racing......BOOOOoooo

Stock motor, GT3255E, Razors alky and TT chip. 25# boost, 28" MT drag radials, locked converter, Car has an 11.20 in it with more track time no sweat!

Scales were closed so I don't know the weight but it's an 87 Turbo T, T-tops, working ac, 3/4 tank of fuel, Weld rims, no front sway bar or floor mats and I drove it to and from.