te44 vs te64

Rice Killa

Got Rice???
i've got a te44 and i'm thinking about upgrading to a te64. what are the pros and cons. i was told i wouldn't have to change my supporting mods right now either(3,000 stall, msd 50lbs). all info is greatly appreciated

When going from a TE44 to a TE64 aka T64E from PTE, this is a very huge step up. Depending on what size torque converter you currently have would play a huge factor in spool up. The TE44 only needs about 2800-3000 to spool good. Now, with your 3000 converter, by just bolting on the 64 turbo, you would get some lag from a dead stop punch. It wouldn't be so bad from a downshift punch. But power braking would give you some headaches. The T64E that PTE sells has a 66mm compressor wheel and a P-trim turbine wheel. This turbo needs to have a converter that can flash stall to at least 3200 to properly spool it up. Also, I would recommend at least 65# High Imp injectors to properly match up with this turbo. Based on horsepower capabilities of the turbo and the injectors. The turbo can support 700 fwhp and the injectors can support up to 780 fwhp. If you are running an Art Carr 9" non lockup converter and it will flash stall to 3200, then you would be ok with spool up. The 50#ers will limit you in total boost you can run before you max them out. This would be at around the 22psi range. 50#ers can safely support 580 fwhp, 600 if pushed. Everything else in your combo looks sound, but with heads and cam you will definitely need 65# high imp injectors and new chips.
I have run the TE45A, which from memory is the same as the TE64 (T64E) and I ran an Art Carr 16930 converter that flash stalled to 3200-3300, and the car was a blast on the street. Spool up from a punch was great and typical street launches were done by foot braking 3lbs and stomping it.
Hope this helps a little.
Patrick

Try it, but keep the boost in line with your injectors. If you don't like the lag have the convertor loosened. If you then want to turn up the boost change the injectors.

RU hit the nail on the head. Go with a good fuel system and properly sized injectors. I made awsome power with a stock motor, see sig, however I ran out of fuel and lifted a head. Now I need to change a head gasket.

If it is a Walbro 340M or the new superceded number F2000169, this pump will typically support up to 650 fwhp with a hotwire kit. However, if it's a 307 pump, then it's hp capability is lower unless it has had the internal bypass spring shimmed. If you are looking to run high to mid 10's with this combo, it's going to be very close with a single 340 or F2000169 IMHO. If going faster than mid 10s, most people switch over to a double pumper setup or convert to a single external pump with high gph capability such as a Weldon DB2015A with larger feed line and return line. At the high to mid 10 second range, a double pumper kit is sufficient as well as the factory fuel lines.
HTH
Patrick

Like Patrick indicated, if you've got the high press version of the 255 (aka 304M), it's good to mid 10s, if it's hotwired. If it were my car, I'd install an alky injection kit on it. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about your fuel pump being borderline. It would also allow you to turn up the boost without replacing your 50 lb injectors.
Good Luck.