TE44 Precision vs Garret

smokingunz

I know its as bit old school, but still very common turbo. I searched but couldn't really find the info... Whats the real differences in housings, whats the advantages and disadvantages of either? I have read several threads mentioning the Garrett spooled faster but that's about all the info I see. Im getting ready to do the trans and converter so will having a precision housing affect what converter I need, or would be best suited? Thanks

Yup. If you end up with the Precision housing, you will experience turbo lag, unless you install a convertor with a higher stall.....a lot of guys install a 2800 stall convertor for this application. Whereas, if you go with a TE-44 with Garrett .63A/R housing, you can get away with your factory D5 convertor as it spools much quicker .

So...what's the difference in housings...size, shape..?? Does the precision provide more top end or is it just completely inferior?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes you will have more top end, it is a bigger housing so it requires a large amount of ex gas to fill it and of course spool the turbo.

So...what's the difference in housings...size, shape..?? Does the precision provide more top end or is it just completely inferior?.......

This discussion has been ongoing for 20+ years and you need to substitute the word "inferior", by defining them as "different".

The overall HP is the same for both turbos since the wheels are the same size. The Garrett is a tighter or smaller scroll and is more efficient at the bottom end than the Precision which is more efficient at top end.

To help the Precision housing be more efficient and responsive at low end, a higher stall converter is the remedy.

Last edited:
This discussion has been ongoing for 20+ years and you need to substitute the word "inferior", by defining them as "different".

The overall HP is the same for both turbos since the wheels are the same size. The Garrett is a tighter or smaller scroll and is more efficient at the bottom end than the Precision which is more efficient at top end.

To help the Precision housing be more efficient and responsive at low end, a higher stall converter is the remedy.
Great answer Nick, pretty simple! Thanks.

Also I remember years ago experts saying the Pte .63 is really a bit bigger then the Garrett/T-netics .63

There is no difference in power, just in spool up. The turbine wheel is too small to take advantage of the slightly larger housing.

(y) This is one of your least spoke about tuning tools. Glad you brought this topic up.

So where does turbonetics fit in? Thought I remember reading somewhere its a compromise between pte & garrett all things being equal..

I had a TE 63 with 3 different turbine housings. .58,.63,.85. I ran my fastest times in the 1/4 with the .85, fastest 1/8 with the .63, and the .58 was literally a burnout fest, instant spoolup. This was just a personal test using the exact same factory small valve ported heads, 26.9" tall tires, 3.73 gears and Art Carr 9" Non lock up converter, Precision chip. When I switched back to 3.42 gears, the .85 seemed to wake the car up a little more. My 1/4 times were about 2 tenths better and I probably picked up a tenth in the 1/8 over the .63 housing.

Yup. If you end up with the Precision housing, you will experience turbo lag, unless you install a convertor with a higher stall.....a lot of guys install a 2800 stall convertor for this application. Whereas, if you go with a TE-44 with Garrett .63A/R housing, you can get away with your factory D5 convertor as it spools much quicker .

I had no turbo lag with my precision housing. And with the stock converter I ripped off a 1.61 60ft on a cold day at the track.

I get 60's in the low 1.3s with a giant turbo and a 1.28 ar exhaust housing. Track performance and street driving lag are 2 different things.

I get 60's in the low 1.3s with a giant turbo and a 1.28 ar exhaust housing. Track performance and street driving lag are 2 different things.

Totally aware of that, just wanted to through that in. On the logs the difference in spool up from the stock turbo to my TE-44 with the precision was 200 rpm. I also pulled a little fuel out of the bottom end but not much.

Thanks for all your replies. Would it really be worth going to the garrett housing? Is there more that can be done with these turbo's, billet wheels or something? Or just run it, upgrade later?

Thanks for all your replies. Would it really be worth going to the garrett housing? Is there more that can be done with these turbo's, billet wheels or something? Or just run it, upgrade later?

I would just run it as is, see how you like it, no need to change the wheel on a turbo that small, run it out and see how you like it, if you feel your combo is over spinning it you can step up the millimeters a bit depending on your converter..