TCLU switch.. how?

smooth87

BATMAN
i tried to wire up a torque conv. lockup switch this weekend, and it doesnt work.. i must have misunderstood something i read. could someone please explain how to wire that up? TIA

yep... maybe i dont have a good ground? the wire on the uppper left of the ALDL has been messed with too. it has a butt-splice connectore in there, but i spliced into it behind that.. so i wouldnt think that would have an effect. i'll have to find another ground, and see if that works.

Originally posted by smooth87
i tried to wire up a torque conv. lockup switch this weekend, and it doesnt work.. i must have misunderstood something i read. could someone please explain how to wire that up? TIA

Are you sure your converter is locking under normal driving conditions??

Exactly. Go underneath and disconnect the four prong plug to the tranny. Use a tester on the purple wire. When you turn on your switch it should light up the tester. If not there is a problem with the brake switch under the dash (out of adj like mine was) or the TCC in the tranny is bad

Do most guys lock there converter and does it bring your rpms down a little on the top end

Yes and yes.

Depending on what chip you have it may be burned into it and you might not be aware of it

the converter locks and unlocks all the freakin time.. no matter how fast i'm going.. sometimes it will cruise for a while locked.. then lock and unlock a lot.. and sometimes it just won't lock at all.... i suspect the chip is the culprit, but i dunno. i'm doing a lot of driving these days and i hate to have it engaging and disengaging all the time. and on top of everything, it's developed a dragging/grinding sound from what sounds to be the rear brakes when leaving from a stop.........:mad:

You TCC solenoid is probably bad. You need to get it fixed before it smokes the lockup clutch bands or whatever they are called.

It is supposed to unlock everytime you hit the brake pedal

Originally posted by smooth87
the converter locks and unlocks all the freakin time.. no matter how fast i'm going.. sometimes it will cruise for a while locked.. then lock and unlock a lot.. and sometimes it just won't lock at all.... i suspect the chip is the culprit, but i dunno. i'm doing a lot of driving these days and i hate to have it engaging and disengaging all the time. and on top of everything, it's developed a dragging/grinding sound from what sounds to be the rear brakes when leaving from a stop.........:mad:

Almost sounds like the problem I had a few months back. While cruising along at highway speeds, I noticed the converter would unlock/relock all on it's own. Checked brake pedal switch and it was OK, It wasn't the ECM cause the TCC lock signal was staying on.

Turned out to be a bad TPS :eek:

At a certain voltage (about .8 or so) where I was cruising under light load, the TPS voltage would suddenly drop to .2 or lower.
This unlocked the TCC and it would generally relock if I moved my foot even the slightest.

Wierd stuff.

well.. i just got back from manhattan.. and while on the interstate i lifted up the brake pedal with my toe, and WHALAH... thats what it was.. however, something must have moved when i was doing that, because now it falls down and shuts off my cruise and the brake light stays on. so i guess i have something to do tomorrow. thanks for all the help guys.