ta49-te44-or bigger ?

tacordes

Im still needing to get a new turbo... and every night ive been reading here hoping to get some ideas....
Im a little confused to start... It seems to me the bigger the number the bigger the turbo however from what ive read... a te-44 makes more power than a ta-49 ????? is this true....

Next question. My car is mostly a street car "weekend playtoy" ...
And sooner or later I will upgrade the converter... however for now Im just going to get a turbo.
What is the biggest turbo I can run with a stock converter ... Is a 44/49 the limit on being able to "have fun" with a stock converter...
This car will only see pump gas and alky
I dont have any times it has to run I just want the best street turbo... Only buy one and be set for a long time......

Please any info is really needed....Im starting to get really @#$@#$ flustered..... If im going to spend the money for a new turbo ... I want the right one..... :)
thanks....

TE44 and TA49 use the same wheels. The housings are different, though as the TA49 uses the stock appearing compressor housing while the TE series turbos use a non-stock, integral bell compressor housing.

The HP difference between the two turbos in minute at rational boost levels. You probably couldn't tell the difference at less than 23 psi.

Either turbo will work well with the stock converter. If you find a turbo with a Garrett exhaust housing, it will spool at slighly less RPM than a Precision housing, but will make less top end HP.

Note to take advantage of a larger turbo, you usually need to run higher boost than you are currently running. On My car I noticed no difference between the stock turbo and my TA49 at 18 psi. Back to back, the TA49 was no faster.

BUTTTT...at 23 psi I ran 11.53@118 with the TA49 with a stock longblock. That isn't going to happen with a stock turbo.

thanks

thanks for your input .......today I ordered a te-44 ...
cant wait to get it installed... : )