TA49 or TE60

oddiesGN

Right now I'm running the TA49 with the .85 exhaust housing and it is still in very good shape nothing wrong with it, but I have a chance to buy a TE60 with the garrett .63 housing new at a good price. With my set-up and my goals being at least 11.3, is it even worth getting if I'm only running 25# of boost? If I was to get it what would I see as in power gains, different in 60' times and my quarter mile times, well eighth mile times since I run the eighth mile 90% more then the quarter. I would think my stall would be good since the TE60 has a .63 housing. By going with the TE60 could I run less boost and still run the same times as I would with the TA49 or are they the same at lower boost under 25#. So pretty much by going from the 49 to the 60 @ 25# of boost what would I expect.

Thanks, Otes.

how fast are you with the 49 on the car?you can go 11.3 on the 49,make sure your have the safety equipment in the car to run sub 11.50.pre 25 psi i wouldn't think there is much of a gain,if any.also should look into a smaller ex housing for your 49,the 85 is not needed on the 49.

Doesn't the bigger exhaust housing help with back pressure? I don't seem to have any problems with spool up with this housing and thats with my old set-up. I haven't ran the TA49 yet with my heads being ported and my other mods. I won't have it ready for another month to find out.

Otes.

The te60 and the te44 both support the same hp. There might be a slight advantage with the larger compressor if you had a combo with a larger than stock cam but in reality they both use the same stage 3 turbine and it flows 52-53 lbs/min in decent air. The only7 way you are going to get a higher mass flow with it is by upping the CR and playing with the cam timing otherwise you are left with a bunch of back flow. It is not likely will not be be making anymore power with the te60. The 60 would spool faster with the garrett .63 but would hit even higher backpressure sooner than the 44 with the .85. What you really need for that combo is a 76 p trim turbine with the 60-1 compressor the the te 60 uses . Then you will have 10.70 potential with the turbo. The .85 ex housing isnt enough to drop back pressure with your combo.

The te60 and the te44 both support the same hp. There might be a slight advantage with the larger compressor if you had a combo with a larger than stock cam but in reality they both use the same stage 3 turbine and it flows 52-53 lbs/min in decent air. The only7 way you are going to get a higher mass flow with it is by upping the CR and playing with the cam timing otherwise you are left with a bunch of back flow. It is not likely will not be be making anymore power with the te60. The 60 would spool faster with the garrett .63 but would hit even higher backpressure sooner than the 44 with the .85. What you really need for that combo is a 76 p trim turbine with the 60-1 compressor the the te 60 uses . Then you will have 10.70 potential with the turbo. The .85 ex housing isnt enough to drop back pressure with your combo.

So is the .85 going to hurt me in any way with my TA49? If so is my stall even big enough for the bigger housing. I don't think I told Dusty that my TA49 had a .85 housing when he built my converter. He did say that he was going to make it a 2900 stall since most of my racing will be 1/8th mile and don't need to worry about slipping as much since its only an 1/8th instead of 1/4 mile. So in other words, if I were to put one on and run it down track and then put on the other one I won't notice anything but maybe alittle better spool up and its not worth getting the TE60 and if I was going to upgrade get the 76 p trim turbine and the 60-1 compressor. If I find one like that what size exhaust housing should it be for what I'm working with?

My main concern is the .85 housing thats on the TA49 now and if the stall will do its job or does it need to be higher stall. I would think that ported heads would help it spool a little faster.

Thanks, Otes

So is the .85 going to hurt me in any way with my TA49? If so is my stall even big enough for the bigger housing. I don't think I told Dusty that my TA49 had a .85 housing when he built my converter. He did say that he was going to make it a 2900 stall since most of my racing will be 1/8th mile and don't need to worry about slipping as much since its only an 1/8th instead of 1/4 mile. So in other words, if I were to put one on and run it down track and then put on the other one I won't notice anything but maybe alittle better spool up and its not worth getting the TE60 and if I was going to upgrade get the 76 p trim turbine and the 60-1 compressor. If I find one like that what size exhaust housing should it be for what I'm working with?

My main concern is the .85 housing thats on the TA49 now and if the stall will do its job or does it need to be higher stall. I would think that ported heads would help it spool a little faster.

Thanks, Otes
You wont have any issue with spoolup with the .85. The stage 3 turbine is a choker on that combo though. Youre leaving a lot of power on the line. The garrett .63 would be fine on a 76 p trim 60-1. Ive got one here. lmk if youre interested.

You wont have any issue with spoolup with the .85. The stage 3 turbine is a choker on that combo though. Youre leaving a lot of power on the line. The garrett .63 would be fine on a 76 p trim 60-1. Ive got one here. lmk if youre interested.

So what do you call a 76 p trim 60-1 turbo and wouldn't the .85 housing be better for that turbo instead of the .63? How much power am I leaving on the line? What is wrong with the stage 3 turbine? How does my set-up look for what my goals are? I know I need to have a good tune, but is my turbo the weak link in the set-up or is it something else.

Thanks, Otes

you really need to baseline the car.not knowing how fast the car is now and then trying to fine tune/swap parts is not the right way to maximize combo's.the .85 on a ta 49 is not needed to max the comp wheel and turbine wheel.guys run 9sec on .63 housings on bigger comp and turbine wheels.having a good converter and dialing it in with the proper ex housing is a critical peice of the combo.swapping ex housings on your car and combo is the way to go and being able to measure the gain will tell the story.

you really need to baseline the car.not knowing how fast the car is now and then trying to fine tune/swap parts is not the right way to maximize combo's.the .85 on a ta 49 is not needed to max the comp wheel and turbine wheel.guys run 9sec on .63 housings on bigger comp and turbine wheels.having a good converter and dialing it in with the proper ex housing is a critical peice of the combo.swapping ex housings on your car and combo is the way to go and being able to measure the gain will tell the story.

My plan was to run the TA49 and se if I can even max it out before I even upgrade to a bigger one. But there is a guy in my area that has a bigger turbo not much bigger, but does flow more cfm's then mine. He has it for sale real cheap for a new turbo and I was wanting to maybe get it and just run it without running my TA49 with my new mods. But since the TE60 won't help much, I'm just going to run the TA49 and max it out first and then upgrade if needed.

Thanks, Otes