Syclone Truck

GNBRETT

Pelennor Fields
These Have ALways Been One Of My Favorite Vehicles But I Have Heard That People Have Quite A Few Issues With These Trucks. Can Anyone Comment On That? What Parts Are Susceptable To Failure? Motor? Tranny? Differental? Just Trying To Get An Idea For What Im In For If I Go This Route. Thanx.....

LOL, all of the above. They make a Turbo Buick look like a big rig in terms of reliability ;)

Stock they can be very reliable. Once you start modding, Front prop shaft & tranny will need to be beefed up.

barely hit the ramp going into shop and busted trans mount.trans when bad also in only a hundred miles after i bought it.

LOL, all of the above. They make a Turbo Buick look like a big rig in terms of reliability ;)

CAN YOU BE A LITTLE MORE SPECIFIC? PROP SHAFT I FIGURED WAS A GIVEN ALONG WITH TRANNY BUT ANYTHING ELSE? DO GUYS USUALLY GO WITH THE BOWTIE BLOCKS OR ARE THE STOCK BLOCKS GOOD ENOUGH TO BUILD ON? THANX....

sooooooo i ran 9.0@ 157 on a th350 w/trans brake and an all stock syclone drive train for 2 years ........the 700 is junk but besides that the other stuff was fine.....tested to 1400 hp weekly;)

sooooooo i ran 9.0@ 157 on a th350 w/trans brake and an all stock syclone drive train for 2 years ........the 700 is junk but besides that the other stuff was fine.....tested to 1400 hp weekly;)

IS THAT WITH THE STOCK BLOCK? IS THAT WITH THE ALL WHEEL DRIVE TOO?

ummmm yeah a gm 010 truck block ......twin turbo v-8 th350 and all of the rest of the stock running gear t case prop shaft diff drive shaft axels 7.5 rear ect.......otto knows the truck

Impressive, very kool...... must be brutal on the street hooking like velcro!

My friend has a Typhoon. I really dig these trucks, I cruise SYTY.net a lot. from what I have seen there is nothing to crazy different out there that breaks that wouldn't break on any performance car. Front prop shaft, CK has billet parts for that trans now.

They are a blast to drive. I am glad my friend has one, keeps me from buying one! LOL Plus the new GMHTM has a 11.2 TY that was running low 12's with a stock set up.

I say if you have the means get one!

Matthew

broke2.jpg

there are some links to some vids in this sectin somplace

Was your truck the one that was posted by Len?
Well, it seems as though I remembered seeing it just about the time I saw Otto's shoe stuck to the track...:biggrin:

These Have ALways Been One Of My Favorite Vehicles But I Have Heard That People Have Quite A Few Issues With These Trucks. Can Anyone Comment On That? What Parts Are Susceptable To Failure? Motor? Tranny? Differental? Just Trying To Get An Idea For What Im In For If I Go This Route. Thanx.....

There reliable if left stock or close to stock.. I've daily driven mine for two out of the five years of owning it and have ran mid 12 second runs in the 1/4 with it while knocking off some local idiots on the streets on the weekends and only ever had one problem which is a common problem and the weakest link in the driveline which is the front propshaft.. it's a $389 fix. You purchase a gilbert shaft and never look back.. there's 9 second trucks running then, no one's ever broken one yet.

Besides that the weakest link is without a doubt the 700r4 trans.. they just don't handle the torque these trucks put out.. most swap out to th350/400 or 4L80E trans and again never look back.. There are nine second trucks running the th400 and a bunch of 11 and up trucks with the 4L80E.. maybe quicker but don't know of any off the top of my head.

Stock longblocks aren't that bad but if your looking to run fast you'll be putting some forged rods/pistons in because the stock rods/pistons are junk. The stock heads are weak but the upgrades (L35 and Vortec) can be had for extremly cheap.

With the above about the stock pistions/rods and heads i'd like to also point out that if your modding before doing the forged thing.. you have to pay close attention to your tune and the motor because these babies don't take KR good and if you can hear the knocking.. then you'll be a rebuilding :)

Only thing that really blows about these trucks is the fact that not many peope/shops know how to work on them or tune them so you have to be able to turn a wrench and handle alot of the problems on your own or reach out to one of the fellow owners in your area for help plus the aftermarket is alittle pricey because of such a limited amount of trucks to cater too as if you didn't already know this.

Browse around www.syty.net and ask questions there.. most all owners hang out there some don't but most of the guys over there have builds from mild to wild so your answers will be more detailed etc..

Good luck

Do Sy Owners Usually Keep Their All Wheel Drive Or Remove It When Going To A Th400? That Kinda Defeats The Advantage That The Truck Offers On The Street But Would There Be Less Problems W/out Awd?