Powermaster Issues

Got my vacuum system in and working! I didn’t bleed the brakes and the pedal is a bit soft so I was planning a gravity bleed this weekend. My question is, do people pull the PM fuse now that it is out? I figure that would be a good idea and I believe it is the 30a on the bottom right. Any confirmation on fuse location or further thoughts on this?

Thanks for the replies. I checked RCG but couldn’t see any kit there and that manual will come in handy. I had seen that flowchart before but my issue does not have a brake light so according to the chart, system OK. But system not Ok lol…. it is so odd that the brakes work, but accumulator will not release a proper fluid amount back to the reservoir.
Who is RCG?
Thanks

Not sure what I did in the 2 posts above, but both are links to Richard Clark’s

Got my vacuum system in and working! I didn’t bleed the brakes and the pedal is a bit soft so I was planning a gravity bleed this weekend. My question is, do people pull the PM fuse now that it is out? I figure that would be a good idea and I believe it is the 30a on the bottom right. Any confirmation on fuse location or further thoughts on this?

I never pulled mine, never even thought about it.

I bled the brakes but still had a soft pedal. I ended up removing the MC and bench bled it again. Bled RR-LR-RF-LF, did a slight adjustment on the rear shoes to tighten them up a bit, still have a soft pedal.

I had a mechanic friend come by (I trust him with any of my cars) and he noted the following:

Seems there is good flow out the fronts when bleeding, but less out the rear.

Brake pedal won’t pump up after many applications.

There is a squeak coming from the MC that feels like it is possibly high pressure fluid being bypassed in the MC.”

I was advised that I needed to spare the lines compared to the PM system, but I couldn’t. The new MC had the connection sizes in the same location as the PM, big connection and big line in front port, smaller line and smaller port closer to firewall. would it help if I DID swap the lines? Getting fittings to make it possible to swap them? This does not seem right but im
out of ideas at this end.

Brakes do work, but are low and soft. I don’t think I want to just leave it like this, wondering if there are any thoughts on it. Bleed MC again? New MC, again?

“spare the lines” should read “swap the lines”…. they each only fit in their respective ports. Swapping is not an option unless I redo the ends with proper fittings to move them, or buy/make adapter fittings.

They fit only one way. If you can't lock them up and have a nice solid pedal you have something else going on.

Seems there is good flow out the fronts when bleeding, but less out the rear.
did you use the PV-2 bleed tool? install it in place of the brake warning light sending unit on prop valve. tool keeps the prop valve centered so that volume of fluid can be drawn thru rear lines for flushing and/or bleeding. if not using tool, valve moves off-center reacting as if a line broke, limiting fluid flow.

link to tool => proportioning valve bleeding tool PV2 tool new | eBay

some sellers include to tool with a purchase of a brass prop valve... this seller shows cut-away how valve and tool work.

link => Buick Regal Grand National Disc Drum Proportioning Valve 1978-88 G-Body | eBay

adding to above....this thread linked below covers it without retyping...

adding to above....this thread linked below covers it without retyping...

Thanks Anthony…… I’ve heard of this tool but have not looked into it as much as I should have. I will see if I can track one down locally. If not, I will get one on order!

did you use the PV-2 bleed tool? install it in place of the brake warning light sending unit on prop valve. tool keeps the prop valve centered so that volume of fluid can be drawn thru rear lines for flushing and/or bleeding. if not using tool, valve moves off-center reacting as if a line broke, limiting fluid flow.

link to tool => proportioning valve bleeding tool PV2 tool new | eBay

some sellers include to tool with a purchase of a brass prop valve... this seller shows cut-away how valve and tool work.

link => Buick Regal Grand National Disc Drum Proportioning Valve 1978-88 G-Body | eBay
Just wonder if my prop valve is in an off center state, will this tool still go in and then recenter the valve?