Hey everyone. So, a few months ago, I blew the rings on the motor. I guess 200k and a new turbo don't mix too well.
Anyways, with the current situation (and all opinions aside), I'm thinking about rebuilding the motor myself. I feel ok in pulling it out myself with the right tools, but have a couple questions:
- Any good suggestions on where to put the trans?
- Anything I should look at doing while the motor is out?
- Anything to be aware of when pulling the motor out or putting it back in?
Now, as for the motor, I'd like to take the opportunity to work it over a bit, but I still want it to pass CA emissions (without knowing a guy). So, nothing crazy and must run on 91 octane. Here are some things I'm thinking of:
- Roller cam
- Roller rockers
- Porting the heads and intake or upgrading said parts
- Girdle for the bottom-end
- Addressing any internal issues (i've heard oiling can be improved?)
I have already done some upgrades that I would like to re-use if possible:
- PTE 5558 SS bearing turbo
- 80 lb. flow-matched injectors from TurboTweak
- TH DP with cat
- RJC SS exhaust
- HR Parts 'N Stuff motor and trans mounts
- Kirban 3.5" aluminum DS
So, what are your thoughts? Favorite gaskets? Bolts or studs? Stroker maybe? Any other upgrades to think about?
Thanks as always!