Swapped to a 4L80E

Does the Microtcu work with ECUGN?

Any bolt on install kits for us?

Sorry if this was answered earlier in the thread, I haven't read every post.

Last edited:
most people will want to use a controller, then it is programmed for shift points, shift pressure, lockup, etc.

generally, you want to use the controller that matches your ecu, so they communicate data and the logging is coordinated.

for the stock ECM, there are various controllers that work in "standalone mode".

For the 'real racers', there are manual valvebodies and such.

Installation is not complex, but there are a couple changes needed. (adapter plate, crossmember, driveshaft, shift linkage) I am working to collect all the specific details all in one spot.

Bob

I'd bend that body seem. Ready saves on the spilling of blood. And way easier to get the 3 foot extension and universal up in there to tighten the engine to trans fasteners.

Yeah, I agree. I think we will test fit, unmodified, and take some pics. then probably bend the seam and see how it clears things up. That will answer all the questions....

Bob

Just out of curiosity why go to all the expense and aggravation of changing to a 4l80 when
Dave Husek and a couple of others can build your 200 to withstand tons of horsepower. Plus
with not all that many of these cars left doing all these mostly irreversible modifications.
Not trying to be controversial.

Many of these answers are already in this thread.
I have had to "freshen" my 200 every year or 2, my "builder" is one of the 'annointed' ones.​
I have wanted to do this swap for years, I think it will make the car better and more enjoyable.​
I'm a computer guy, so a device controlled by springs and "holes" seems like caveman-tech.​
The 200 has lots of drawbacks.​
My car has lots of changes (improvements) that were not on it when GM built it, big turbo, aluminum heads, forged pistons and crank, different stereo, nicer wheels, tunable ecu, etc. All of those changes made the car better, and this will too.​
This is no more expensive than building a 200, and certainly cheaper than building a 200 multiple times.​

Bob

If I had to pull my 200 every year I wouldn't use it either.
But as far as expensive
Rossler and others build 2/3speeds that can run 5 to 20k.
Depending on what is needed.

We run co2 on the air shifters for glides and 400s.
You can pick your shift points.

most people will want to use a controller, then it is programmed for shift points, shift pressure, lockup, etc.

generally, you want to use the controller that matches your ecu, so they communicate data and the logging is coordinated.

for the stock ECM, there are various controllers that work in "standalone mode".

For the 'real racers', there are manual valvebodies and such.

Installation is not complex, but there are a couple changes needed. (adapter plate, crossmember, driveshaft, shift linkage) I am working to collect all the specific details all in one spot.

Bob
You can also run a Reid ultra bell which will give more clearance to the body. It also makes install and removal a little easier with the added clearance. This is the setup I use and have zero mods to the body.

Like a dog with a bone
I’m following along closely Bob. About to pull the trigger on a 4L80e from a local race trans builder… he’s got 4L80s running 5.0s@138+ in full auto mode and still using lock up.

I know we’ve messaged about the details of the swap before, so I’ll be diving into this soon.

I just installed another fresh Janis stg 3 so that should hold me until next year but…I’m about to start buying all the 80e stuff now.

I’m so over these freakin 200s. I’m $7-8k deep in a pair of full billet 200s and literally had them both broke at the same time….second one is shipping to Janis for a full rebuild this week, then it will be on the chopping block.

People comparing 400 swaps to 4l80 swaps for street cars that get driven a lot just don’t know what they are missing.

And yes I have one of my cars with a 400, it’s been driven cross country twice, I know they “can” do it….but it’s SOOO much nicer with OD and lock up. Not to mention the shift point and firmness tune ability with the ECU is so much better…

You can also run a Reid ultra bell which will give more clearance to the body. It also makes install and removal a little easier with the added clearance. This is the setup I use and have zero mods to the body.
I believe the Reid bellhousing (and their full bad-ass 4L80E case) is dual bolt pattern, so no adapter plate would be needed to bolt up to the Buick V6.

The TA block is also dual pattern, so no adapters for those either.

Thanks for the input.

Bob

I’m following along closely Bob. About to pull the trigger on a 4L80e from a local race trans builder… he’s got 4L80s running 5.0s@138+ in full auto mode and still using lock up.

I know we’ve messaged about the details of the swap before, so I’ll be diving into this soon.

I just installed another fresh Janis stg 3 so that should hold me until next year but…I’m about to start buying all the 80e stuff now.

I’m so over these freakin 200s. I’m $7-8k deep in a pair of full billet 200s and literally had them both broke at the same time….second one is shipping to Janis for a full rebuild this week, then it will be on the chopping block.

People comparing 400 swaps to 4l80 swaps for street cars that get driven a lot just don’t know what they are missing.

And yes I have one of my cars with a 400, it’s been driven cross country twice, I know they “can” do it….but it’s SOOO much nicer with OD and lock up. Not to mention the shift point and firmness tune ability with the ECU is so much better…
My 200 is pulled, my 4L80E is fully assembled. so just need to get it bolted in, measure for the driveshaft, and hook everything up
(cooler lines, linkage and cable, speedo cable, controller)

I pulled all the stock shiftpoints out of old PowerLogger and ecuGN logs, so I have the tune built and ready.

Bob

For those diy types and those who just want to know what is going on inside. This guy does some pretty good(GREAT) vids on the 4l80e and his swaps. He does some Jakes parts and such. His Ranger ain't no slouch and is driven to/from his track. if you do some watching he had a Mustang that could lay down some numbers too, all built in his garage.

My 200 is pulled, my 4L80E is fully assembled. so just need to get it bolted in, measure for the driveshaft, and hook everything up
(cooler lines, linkage and cable, speedo cable, controller)

I pulled all the stock shiftpoints out of old PowerLogger and ecuGN logs, so I have the tune built and ready.

Bob
The pump is leaking on my 200. I was talking with Prasad and may install a 4l80 I have sitting. I bought it From Chris at Ck back in 15 or 16. Car has ecuGn in it. So who do I get controller from? May go with jw bell housing. Engine is out so may be the time to do it.