Swapped to a 4L80E

Received some jewelry today. So nice. (245mm single disk billet lockup)

Attachments

• ptc-1.jpg
    ptc-1.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ptc-2.jpg
    ptc-2.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 91
There were a couple reasons.
1 -- support the Buick vendors.
2 -- I know that PTC has specific experience with the unique converter needs of these cars (low revving, high torque), I can say I want x stall speed on my 3.8L V6 and they know what I need.
3 -- My previous 2 converters were PTC and they worked great. Currently running their 9.5" Non-lock, and really like it.

And, dang, just look how nice that one is!!

Bob

I have had a 4l80e in my car for 5 years now. my first trans was a built 2004r that kept twisting the splines on the output shaft. my second trans was a built 400 that actually drove excellent and had no problem on the highway with 3.30 rear gears but the manual shifting gets old fast. when i switched to the 4l80, i wished that i had done it years ago. i can pick shift rpm, firmness etc. i did learn that the only fluid that worked well was gm dex 6. On anything else, the lockup would hang up occasionally. i beat on the car regularly and take it on 1500 mile roadtrips with no worries. if i were to change anything, i would do a 9.5 pic n/l. The billet lockup feels quite loose down low.

The 9.5" N/L is a great converter, for sure. I'm going to use real Dex 6 also.

Column shift or console? Did you hook up a speedo cable?

Bob

The 9.5" N/L is a great converter, for sure. I'm going to use real Dex 6 also.

Column shift or console? Did you hook up a speedo cable?

Bob
I modified the cheetah shifter that i was using for the TH400. I also didn't take the time to hook up the column shifter rod but i do remember looking at it and saying that it wasn't going to happen lol

i have a dakota digital dash that reads speed from my trans controller.

-Surej

Cool, thanks. Chuck Leeper's conversion was a column-shift car, he sent me some pics, so I have something to work from.

Bob

Project is still ongoing,

Got some linkage hardware, should be all I need to connect stock shifter as well as get the column collar / neutral safety stuff to work.

black bracket is from inline tube, silver stuff is Shiftworks. all part numbers will be in the build list when this is done.

linkage-parts.png

I'm converting to the 4l80e also and have concern about converter pressure and thrust against the crank. What is needed to address this problem?

For converter charge pressure, the 4L80 doesn't have as many issues as the TH400, even though there are people that will make a lot of noise about it.

With a non-lock converter, there are "dump valves", and such. Those are more for stall speed and slippage control. There is a pressure regulator valve that will work for charge pressure.

My recommendation would be to ignore everything you may read on here (even my posts) and talk to Jake Shoemake.

Bob

For converter charge pressure, the 4L80 doesn't have as many issues as the TH400, even though there are people that will make a lot of noise about it.

With a non-lock converter, there are "dump valves", and such. Those are more for stall speed and slippage control. There is a pressure regulator valve that will work for charge pressure.

My recommendation would be to ignore everything you may read on here (even my posts) and talk to Jake Shoemake.

Bob
OK Great, thank you for the info. I will call Jakes.

Has anybody taken pictures of the modifications they did to the trans crossmember for the 4l80e? or what aftermarket crossmember would you recommend? thanks in advance.

Has anybody taken pictures of the modifications they did to the trans crossmember for the 4l80e? or what aftermarket crossmember would you recommend? thanks in advance.
Read post 47. Ask Bob to send them to u.
Or, Bob could just post them in this thread.

In the FWIW dept:
The x member is bolted solid with steel spacers at the frame, in the original location.
Note the "tab" that's bolted to the tail hsg goes toward the pan, and the tab on the x is modified to match.
This trans is a column shift adaptation. With an extension on the shifter rod, it works just fine with the frame bell crank system, and the column lock works.
I may have a pic of the rod extension.