Swapped to a 4L80E

In the FWIW dept:
The x member is bolted solid with steel spacers at the frame, in the original location.
Note the "tab" that's bolted to the tail hsg goes toward the pan, and the tab on the x is modified to match.
This trans is a column shift adaptation. With an extension on the shifter rod, it works just fine with the frame bell crank system, and the column lock works.
I may have a pic of the rod extension.
Thank you for the info.

Another guy messaged me a while back and indicated that a "low profile" chevy mount attaches to the transmission and lands right on top of the stock crossmember, so he drilled thru and bolted it up. I'm going to try this as it sounds like a "no welding" solution to use the stock crossmember.

Bob

Another guy messaged me a while back and indicated that a "low profile" chevy mount attaches to the transmission and lands right on top of the stock crossmember, so he drilled thru and bolted it up. I'm going to try this as it sounds like a "no welding" solution to use the stock crossmember.

Bob
HI Bob,
Did you verify if this mount indeed worked with the stock cross member?

thanks

what year is the 4L80E? 2WD or 4WD, what tailshaft/yoke config?

Column shift car or console?

Similar to my project.
The stock column linkage can be adapted, the flat plate that has the crossbar pivot point needs to be extended rearward about 2". and the linkage "downrod" needs to be extended by the same amount. I don't have the exact measurement, but is the amount that the selector shaft is further to the back of the car on the 4L80. I have collected a few sets of these so a friend can mod them on an exchange basis for people.

use the stock lever from the 200, and either cut slots in the stock cable bracket or use a Shiftworks C351 to mount the cable.

Then it all works.
column-linkage-installed3.jpg
column-linkage-parts2.jpg

I'm going to use a Sonnax 38511-03K selector shaft, its shorter than the late model stock one which should fit the linkages better.

Bob

This thread is pretty neat. I'm not sure why anyone would want to stick with a transmission that "only a couple of people in the world" can build reliably. I just finished my motor build and the transmission is up next. Decisions decisions! Shoutout to out of the box thinkers because I was saving up to get my 200r built.

This thread is pretty neat. I'm not sure why anyone would want to stick with a transmission that "only a couple of people in the world" can build reliably. I just finished my motor build and the transmission is up next. Decisions decisions! Shoutout to out of the box thinkers because I was saving up to get my 200r built.
As a diy guy who assembled my own 2004r, I'd like to disagree with the statement that only a couple people can put one together reliably. This is not to say a 4l80e isn't a unit that has more capacity but not everyone has the desire to have four digit hp or run in the single digits in the quarter mile. The opposite is a trans shop is in business to make money and turning as many units around with no come backs it is way more profitable. 2004r takes some time and attention to detail.
If i was going to an aftermarket ecu this 4l80e or even the 6 speed stuff has way more capacity and could be shifted with said ecu and becomes a real viable option. Does take more power to turn the larger trans but it is hard to argue the higher capacity and potential longevity.

I think the big issue with the 200r4 now is parts availability.