SUV Opinions

grand cherokees. they drive most like a car than anyother SUV on the market,

Well... that's because it is. Unibody construction. Women think they are "cute" and that is why they are popular. I guess if you don't do any REAL towing, never expect to pull someone out of a ditch or snow bank, and like a vehicle with horrible gas mileage - a Grand Cherokee is the car for you!

I tried to pull out some small bushes with my 96 Cherokee once. In 4 low, the truck jerked forward. I got out - the bush never moved, and the hook on the chain sliced a 6 inch gash in the "frame"

I promptly removed the chain and sold the "car". Went back to Chevy full frame trucks and have been happy ever since.

Did you ever slam the rear doors on your Grand Cherokee? Watch the way the roof vibrates and flexes when you do.... :rolleyes:

No offense, you may like them, and if all you want is a 4 wheel drive station wagon, they are probably fine.

i never used my jeep as a tow truck, i used it as a every day car, i towed my buick from detroit to wilmington north carolina on a flatbed trailor with NO problems with the 2001, and my 1998 towed my buick to and from the buick nats 2 years ago. i dont buy cars with the premis that i will be pulling people out of ditches and bushes.

Andy

I drive a new style Chevy Silverado 2500, and really like it. Take a look at the new style Chevy Tahoe, it is the nicest thing out there. Same thing as a Suburban, but shorter. May be at upper end of price range for you, but worth a gander.

PS. TJ, FWIW I bent my 2-ton engine hoist trying to yank out an evergreen shrub. Met a fellow with a bent engine hoist, and same thing happened to him. Tough little buggers.

Yes the Tahoes are nice but STARTING at $42k is obsene. Optioned like my XL7 pops it up to OVER $43k. Thats ugly

Originally posted by Awesome T
I drive a new style Chevy Silverado 2500, and really like it. Take a look at the new style Chevy Tahoe, it is the nicest thing out there. Same thing as a Suburban, but shorter. May be at upper end of price range for you, but worth a gander.

PS. TJ, FWIW I bent my 2-ton engine hoist trying to yank out an evergreen shrub. Met a fellow with a bent engine hoist, and same thing happened to him. Tough little buggers.

Originally posted by Awesome T
Take a look at the new style Chevy Tahoe, it is the nicest thing out there. Same thing as a Suburban, but shorter.

I went to the Chevy dealer last year with the intention of buying a Tahoe, as I really didn't need another Suburban. I was quite disappointed in the ride and handling of the Tahoe. The Suburban felt so much more stable I ended up with another one!

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I'll go check out a couple of Durangos they seem to be pretty reasonable especially for a used one. I also like the size of the Durango and the fact that I could use it as a tow vehicle. The Tahoe also looks nice, but I can't justify spending 35-40k on a vehicle. I really like my Toyota pickup I just wish it was bigger and could tow something.