SUV Opinions

bigz

I'm curious if any of you have an opinion on some of the mid size SUV's on the market. I'm planning on replacing my standard cab Toyota Tacoma with some type of SUV. I've thought about the off road package Chevy Blazer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Dodge Durango. If any of you drive one of these and have an opinion on it I would like to know what you think.

Mike

I've had a '01 Grand Cherokee and am getting an '04 tomorrow. The wheelbase feels short on rough terrain but at the same time feels like you have control. Not a good idea to shift into 4x4 on the fly though; stop, put in neutral, then engage 4x4. It will live a long time if you do that no matter what the manual says. V8 gets 18.5 mpg on highway too and will tow 6,000 lbs. with stock class IV hitch. Not bad IMO. Durango sits a little low in the seat for me, hard to describe. 3rd row seating is available though for those with larger families.

The Durango is the way to go, I'm on my second Durango and love it. The first one a 1998 went over 100,000 miles without a glitch and the second one a 2000 is up to 50,000 and the only problem was a door lock started making a noise. They are the perfect size for everyday driving and large enough for the yearly family trip. I thought the jeeps and explorers, blazers where to small, and the wife thought the tahoes were to big.

Big thumbs up here.
Brad

Durango

I have had them all,,,midsize that is,,,,,,,Jeeps, Explorers, Jimmys, etc and we love our Durango. Nice size, quality and performance. Get the 4.7 v8,,,it runs as good as the 360 with better mpg.:D

I'd say it depends on what you're going to do with it. I've had an Explorer for 5 years and wouldn't buy another SUV. My wife likes it, but after driving a regular car for my 50-mile RT commute I wouldn't go back to an SUV. A truck is a truck and despite their best attempts to make the ride more "car like", it's still a truck. It's great in the snow, but here in NJ you very rarely need it. It's nice to have the stowage space sometimes, but a pickup it ain't. Without the open bed the room in the back isn't much better than a trunk on a decent sized sedan.

I would NOT get a Blazer. I had one ('98) for a few months while my Buick was being rebuilt. It did not have an easy life, but it did not feel as stable or as comfortable as my Explorer. It was pretty cheesy inside by comparison, too.

A friend has a Durango - very nice and powerful. Appointed nice inside and the ride is okay (again, for a truck).

Jim

Had a GMC Jimmy...

Before I moved, I had a GMC S-15 Jimmy... around 92 if I remember right. Anyways.. it was a two-door and I have to say the short wheel base made it a little scary on wet roads. The ride suffered somewhat too. I really did like that truck, but it did have it's short comings. I sold the truck because it let a head gasket go... :(

Before I left, my folks bought a TrailBlazer... I love the wheel base on that a whole lot better. Comfortable ride, decent power (if coupled with the right rear). I know they have a three row version with a V8 out. I'm not a fan of three row SUVs, but whatever your needs are. Also, this TrailBlazer is obviously four-door (hard to find a two door SUV anymore) and I actually find it a lot more convenient then putting the seat back and getting people to climb in. I'm also a person who beleives in USING a sport ute not just being a jacked up, soccer mom mobile. Does it have a bed like a pickup, no. That's not what I wanted.. to each his own.

If I had to buy a SUV right now I would buy the Nissan Pathfinder hands down. Car rides beautifully, has the 240 hp motor and it throws you into the seat. You get the Nissan reliability and the resale value. No question in my mind.

suppose you drive a turbo z also.

turbo scott,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just kidding!!:D Nissan makes good stuff also,,,as any one still in business today does, they have to. I would put that 4.7 v8 in my Durango against that Nissan anyday. Its rated at 235 hp, has excellant "low end" and revs are good till about 5500. Wait till next year and get a Durango with the new 345 hp HEMI:D :D

Actually, I drive a Nissan Sentra and my wife has a Maxima. Best cars we have ever owned, and i have owned a lot. The motor isn't the only thing I would look for but if I was the 240 hp Pathfinder motor is plenty powerful enough to do just about anything the average person will need to do. But, the overall quality of the vehicle is beeter than any American SUV, in my opinion.

I guess thats why.................

we all have opinions, and they build lots of different cars. I myself, prefer to buy American products, just my opinion;)

We bought a Suzuki XL7 and LOVE it., & passenger and a SWEET 4 cam chain driven 2.7 v6.. We looked at em all and eithout a DOUBT its the best out there for the money.. 7 yeear /100k warranty WITH full roadside assistance the whole time. Heres a pic of it. I wanted to buy American too but for MY hard earned money this suv is the best. Its a REAL truck too. Full frame and transfer case with a lo range..
zookone.jpg

Frank,

Is that Warranty a BUMPER to BUMPER, or a cheesy Powertrain only after 3 years like all the rest?? Can you tow the GN with it? And did you buy it from DeSimone? Man you wouldn't believe some of the shady stories I've heard about them!

Anyhow, congrats and good luck with it!

Brian, NO one has a long warranty that is bumper to bumper. Generally its bumper to bumper for a shorter time and powertrain for the extended warranty. That what goes wrong and is the most expensive to repair anyway. BUT the 800 # raodside asssistance is for 7 years or 100k miles. Includes even a flat tire!. Disimone is a fine dealer. They can't do much wrong when ya go in with cash and buy thr one ya want off the lot .. lol. And the one time I went back for work they treated me real well. Don't believe all the stories ya hear. I don't believe all the ones I hear about you!! LOL ;)

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Don't believe all the stories ya hear. I don't believe all the ones I hear about you!! LOL ;)

Ahh, Frank, I guess I just LOVE contoversy!:D

Oh yea, by the way, are you gonna race my Stocker??
I'll be coming down on a few Sunday nights this year.

race your stocker? what r u talkin about?
Why the Hell does it bother you so much that I show my GN and not race it? I mean WTF? whats up with you??

ARE YOU GONNA SHOW YOUR CAR?

jeeze. give it a break, Brian, I don't ride your a$$.. DON'T ride mine..

I have had them all, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001 grand cherokees, 1992, 1997 blazer/jimmy, 2000 durango R/T. the durango, BY FAR WAS THE WORST VEHICLE I HAVE EVER BOUGHT IN MY LIFE. it was nothing but problems. the greatest thing that ever happened was that it got stolen. it rode, drove and handled like s**t. i just sold my 97 jimmy today, not a bad truck dosnt ride great and can't tow. by far the best as far as ride and driveability are the grand cherokees. they drive most like a car than anyother SUV on the market, and are decently powered (even on the 4.0 but i would recomend the v8). for the price you cant beat-em. i was looking for another one but decided to go with a full size i just bought a 2001 Yukon Denali.

Andy