sucking oil/pcv problem

engines have a little blowby all the time, even at idle. puff puff puff....

there's much more at full throttle with 32lbs of boost. 2 breathers with unrestricted flow is plenty to do the job.

driving down the road with oil fumes coming out of the vents and windshield and smoking isnt too normal for me lol
yes you will smell it that's for sure. if the car is missing the weatherstrip on the cowl (seals the hood to the cowl) it will be really smelly inside the car for sure.

so should i cap the pcv and just let the breathers vent it out? if i do that than oil comes out of the breathers...

thinking the hvac has a hissing noise behind it so it might be sucking in smoke to inside the car

As many others, I had the same problem. I removed the PCV and used a 3/8 plastic barbed fitting, 3/8 rubber hose to a breather catch can I bought off Ebay (bout $60 bucks). The catch can has in and out, but I decided to only go in and cap the vacuum block on top of the TB. I also used larger breathers on both valve covers. Seems to be working great so far. Before I did this, It was gumming up the TB with oil and pressurizing the motor at high boost pressure and creating valve cover oil leaks. This all has disappeared with this new set up. I can send you the Ebay link for the catch can if you can't find it. Good luck

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364131676.921786.jpg

Here's a picture of the EBay catch can I bought. Think they also come in chrome red blue black and brushed AL

Question ....have you removed this from your system....must of us have....thing about all the vacuum you have removed form the valve train...just a thought .

DSCN1674.JPG

^Me and jdpolzin have had the discussion about that also and you're right, losing A LOT of vacuum. I've yet to ever see a pcv valve seal, especially when it's got 15-20 psi put to it. It will have a leak. It may not be much pressure, but I bet there's enough w/c there to blow oil out the breathers and wherever else it can get to. With the air this pipe was pulling when it was originally hooked up I bet there was never crank case pressure under boost.

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but most aftermarket boost setups, turbo or sc, they all have some type of catch can that ties in with the pcv system.

^Me and jdpolzin have had the discussion about that also and you're right, losing A LOT of vacuum. I've yet to ever see a pcv valve seal, especially when it's got 15-20 psi put to it. It will have a leak. It may not be much pressure, but I bet there's enough w/c there to blow oil out the breathers and wherever else it can get to. With the air this pipe was pulling when it was originally hooked up I bet there was never crank case pressure under boost.

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but most aftermarket boost setups, turbo or sc, they all have some type of catch can that ties in with the pcv system.

I dunno. I don't run a catch can and with a 71 turbo at 25+ psi I don't have oil pushing out of the breathers. I do run a plastic pcv valve and a egr check valve inline with eachother, it checks against 30+ psi when I tested it and still opens under vacuum.

Simple is better.
No PCV
A couple low restriction open breathers, 1 on each valve cover. No problems.

DSCN0773.jpg

Doing that too myself but you can get some fumes once in a while. I plugged mine when I would get an unexplained smoking situation once in a while. Didn't do it again for a couple months once I took the PCV out of the equation UNTIL yesterday. Out for a 30 mile in between snow storms run and when I got home and had it sitting in the driveway it started smoking again. Blue so definitely oil. Took it out today doing pretty much the same and sitting in the driveway clean as a whistle exhaust.:rolleyes:

What would be nice would be able to do something similar to a factory setup and tie a catch can into the line.

can some one explain how to route the catch can, ive seen a couple different ways so from the intake manifold pvc with a line into the catch can and out into the tb? do i need a check valve between the can and vacum block?

liv4gnz said:
so should i cap the pcv and just let the breathers vent it out? if i do that than oil comes out of the breathers...

This is what I did, and was getting oil on the valve covers. Changing to 20w-50 to help it. Better than sucking those fumes in to the motor.