sucking oil/pcv problem

The typical route for lines to a catch can is vacuum block 3/8" line to check valve to catch can to pcv valve. The check valve blocks boost from going into the engine. At least one valve cover has a vent to allow the pcv suck out air from the block at mid vacuum. The pcv is weighted so it will open at a certain vacuum and evacuate the block. As the throttle opens more and vacuum drops the pcv closes. It's supposed to block boost from backing up into the block but they leak. That can pressurize the block and drive oil out the gaskets and valve cover vents.

I don't know how you guys deal with the noxious gasses.:confused: That stuff is nasty. Not to mention all the fall out in your motor oil :oops: but to each is own......

yea, i get some bad leakage under boost from the pressure,
so vacume block to checkvalve to catch can to pcv. the catch can needs to be sealed right with no vent? if it has a vent it will act like a big vacume leak.

"i get some bad leakage under boost"
New engine, or not..Time for a leak down test.

As for the cowl seal.... I take it off, starting at the dr side, wrap it around the a/c intake screen area, leaving some extra length.
I then make an alum sheet metal angle "thingie", and slide the seal over it, screw it down w/ a small screw, making sure it clears the wiper.
This allows the heat to escape thru the open area of the hood/cowl, yet blocks the stink from entering the a/c vent.

"i get some bad leakage under boost"
New engine, or not..Time for a leak down test.

As for the cowl seal.... I take it off, starting at the dr side, wrap it around the a/c intake screen area, leaving some extra length.
I then make an alum sheet metal angle "thingie", and slide the seal over it, screw it down w/ a small screw, making sure it clears the wiper.
This allows the heat to escape thru the open area of the hood/cowl, yet blocks the stink from entering the a/c vent.

Pic's man pic's... :D

well it probably doesnt help that i need a new oil pan gasket it just adds to my problems, not as in its shooting oil out of everywhere since boost is leaking lol i think after my catch can install it will be fine, craigslist has good local stuff since they are pretty much iniversal among turbo cars, i got my wide band out of an evo locally...

If it's real bad a compression test will show it. A leak down test would be much more telling.

Here's the way I've installed mine. Pronto has some nice pics posted already in another thread on his installation of the JLT catch can too!

Attachments

• AMW catch cans 005.jpg
    AMW catch cans 005.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Dual Catch Cans 002.jpg
    Dual Catch Cans 002.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 129
  • HMS%20Oi2.jpg
    HMS%20Oi2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 134
  • catchcan.jpg
    catchcan.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 152
1KWIKSIX said:
Here's the way I've installed mine. Pronto has some nice pics posted already in another thread on his installation of the JLT catch can too!

I like that setup there. But how often do you drain them? Are there ones with a clear side or something in order to see the level of oil that gets filled?

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

I like that setup there. But how often do you drain them? Are there ones with a clear side or something in order to see the level of oil that gets filled?

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Check them randomly, maybe every couple of weeks or so. After 600 miles or so, there may by 1/2" to 3/8" deep in the PCV catch can. I don't put alot of miles on the car so I just hold a dixie cup or small pan under the drain cock and open it up a couple of times per season.

I'm just sharing what I've done because I've gone through the same crap as a lot of others have with these cars.

I've run with/out PCV and still ended up with oil leaks or the smell of fumes or oil burning off exhaust.

I thought of the catch can solution, but didn't want the hassle of emptying or checking it, also the biggest crap of it cluttering my engine compartment.

I decided to try something as I had to do my oil pan gaskets anyways. I drilled a hole in the oil pan up near the mounting rail on the driver side above the baffle and put a fitting there and plumbed a 5/16 brake line off of it and ran the line up to the master cylinder so I could see if it would spray oil or oil mist.

Well it's only been a few weeks, but I have no leaks and no oil mist under the hood. I figured if the windage/ air pressure had somewhere to go it would stop blowing out my pan gaskets and leaking everywhere else.
I also have no fumes or burning oil and smoke from oil burning off anymore which was friggin embarrassing.

I'm hoping this is a permanent fix as it was embarrassing having my car mark it's territory every where I park it.

Total cost was $10.00 and the best part for me is no maintenance/clutter under hood.

RZ

I'm just sharing what I've done because I've gone through the same crap as a lot of others have with these cars.

I've run with/out PCV and still ended up with oil leaks or the smell of fumes or oil burning off exhaust.

I thought of the catch can solution, but didn't want the hassle of emptying or checking it, also the biggest crap of it cluttering my engine compartment.

I decided to try something as I had to do my oil pan gaskets anyways. I drilled a hole in the oil pan up near the mounting rail on the driver side above the baffle and put a fitting there and plumbed a 5/16 brake line off of it and ran the line up to the master cylinder so I could see if it would spray oil or oil mist.

Well it's only been a few weeks, but I have no leaks and no oil mist under the hood. I figured if the windage/ air pressure had somewhere to go it would stop blowing out my pan gaskets and leaking everywhere else.
I also have no fumes or burning oil and smoke from oil burning off anymore which was friggin embarrassing.

I'm hoping this is a permanent fix as it was embarrassing having my car mark it's territory every where I park it.

Total cost was $10.00 and the best part for me is no maintenance/clutter under hood.

RZ

Quite an interesting idea. So you are relieving the pressure in the oil pan are with this brake line mod. Got any pictures for this? I mean as long as its functional and does stop the leaks, don't really mind how it looks. You can always make it look pretty later.

Yes I'm venting the pressure to atmosphere that would otherwise build up in the crankcase.

I don't have pics as I didn't think I would even post about it, but since I haven't developed anymore leaks I thought I would share and maybe it could help others who would rather not clutter the engine bay or have another maintenance item they have to deal with.

I could take a pic and post if you want to see it.

RZ

Yes I'm venting the pressure to atmosphere that would otherwise build up in the crankcase.

I don't have pics as I didn't think I would even post about it, but since I haven't developed anymore leaks I thought I would share and maybe it could help others who would rather not clutter the engine bay or have another maintenance item they have to deal with.

I could take a pic and post if you want to see it.

RZ

Yes please. I just had my oil pan gasket replaced and its leaking again. This time the gasket wasn't used just the right stuff. I think my guy put it in wrong though. He tightened the pan bolts before the right stuff fully dried.

I will go out and take a pic or two. I will let you know that I also used only the THE RIGHT STUFF and I didn't wait for it to harden and I have no leaks.