sucking oil/pcv problem

liv4gnz

i have a breather on each valve cover and im using the stock pcv setup, when i changed the upper intake plenum gasket i noticed alot of oil was coated on the inside. so i capped the pcv temporarily and i guess the breathers were blowing the air out since it had no where else to go. at like half throttle there is slight blow by im not sure if its normal, i think it might just be a pcv issue, this engine has about 4-6k on it and nothing crazy has happened like detonation or error from me. is there a catch can setup or some other way to ventilate the fumes better?

Yea you can definitely put a catch can setup. But most likely you will have to put one together using some kind of kit r separate parts. No one really makes a kit for the tr

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

GN1 Performance sells a really nice catch can set up look it up
In their misc. parts section. I'm thinking of picking one up myself.

Take a look at the grommets in the breathers to see if they are opened up enough.

Bryan

Yea they're all open it just sucks oil in, I'll check it out, I'm guessing it looks similar to a mityvac?
Goes on oil drops into cup and suck the air through

I'm in the process of installing a catch can now. Got a JLT and am fabbing a bracket to mount it. When I get it done I'll post pics. Alot of LS and Mustang guys are using catch cans now, especially on boosted engines. Think it's a good idea on the TB too.

I got half-ass setup on mine. Never did finish it but it does the job as is. Won't have much going on this summer so it might get crossed off the list.

use an autozone 1162 pcv, and inline with that use an egr checkvalve (flat wafer style). This will keep the vacuum down so it cant pull excessively from under the manifold. These will also prevent boost from reversing through the pcv and blowing oil out of the breathers. If you put those two inline with each other and are still seeing oil blow out the breathers under boost then you have other issues.

Forget looking for a stock metal type pcv, a blow through test will show you they dont "check" very well.

Yea they're all open it just sucks oil in, I'll check it out, I'm guessing it looks similar to a mityvac?
Goes on oil drops into cup and suck the air through
I removed my PCV and have breathers on both valve covers and do not have any oil blowing out of the breathers

Bryan

hmm, its a fresh rebuild with low miles and never seen any abuse so i know its not something broken internally, ill try the catch can setup for now

can you post some pics of ideas and the gn1 can mounted for those who have already installed a can?

I did exactly what kidglock did and put a 3/8 check valve in line with the PCV. It has stopped pretty much any oil from entering the intake and as a bonus (since it prevents boost from going through the pcv), my rear main and oil pan gasket leaks have gotten a lot better. I highly recommend it, I got them from US Plastics.

I've tested a few of the 1162s and could never get one to seal. If it doesn't seal, why use it? The stock one held more pressure when I tested them. I suggest just cleaning up the stock pcv the best you can and put in a check valve also with your catch can.

ive never had a problem with it until recently it started smoking out of the breathers, with the pcv connected and i hold it at like 2500 and take the breather off i feel some air coming out like pulsing, its not alot, just enough to feel it. i havent seen any kr since ive had it on the road or did anything crazy or happen, i dont see how a head gasket or blowby is happening, i wanna say its related to the pcv somehow but idk how, its not burning antifreeze or oil and i get some slight smoke out of the vents since i hooked up the vacume lines to the hvac controls. when we swapped the intake plenum there was alot of oil coated inside of it