strong GN gas smell??????

ed armstrong

Hi Folks,

I have a 1987 GN that has recently developed a VERY strong gas smell. When parked in the garage I need to open the garage windows. I can pick up whiffs of it while driving, but not nearly as strong as when parked. I have searched the undercarriage and ground for leaks, and the top of the motor including the fuel rail/injector areas, everywhere. No traces of gas or gas puddles anywhere.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated??? The odor is really bad and I'm afraid of a fire. Possibly the gas vent charcoal canister? Stumped on the Cape .............

Thanks
Ed
Cape Cod

Well I had the same thing happen to me about 6 months ago.... Car parked in the garage and started to smell gas.... Got it on a lift and it turned out to be a very small hair line crack on the side seam of the tank and it would only drip a few drops.... Funny part is the tank was fairly new and it had no rust:confused:... Anyways I didn't want to play around with it though so I had the tank taken down pressure tested (to see if there were any other cracks/leaks and then I had it welded (where it was leaking at the seam) and pressure tested again to make sure it was okay and then sprayed it with some black paint.... Haven't had any problems since then:cool:

could be your gas cap or you may have a rusted out vent line (check along frame ) or rust hole on the top of tank , you might not see a leak even if you top it off , i just dropped my tank to do a fuel pump , underside looked like new but it had rust spots at top(between trunk floor) i had pressure at gas cap so i know it didnt have a hole and that my cap worked but it doesnt take much to make a hole in a tank , I picked up a new tank just incase it ever goes

My gas lines that connect from the frame up to the regulator and return feed dry rotted. They would leak as the fuel pressure increased during boost. Being that these cars are 17 years old +, you might want to change them as it is a possible fire hazard.

These are all good suggestions, make sure you have the right gas cap...the wrong cap will cause gas fumes to escape. Also have you been drilling any holes in the trunk ie. mounting an amp in the trunk?

My 1987 Turbo Regal had a similar gas smell - where's it comin from? Finally found it was the gas line. Where it runs after leaving the tank and heading across behind that crossmember? You can't really get to it. But road dirt had accumulated there and held moisture around the line. Ended up cutting it behind the fuel filter to get it out.
John

The most common gas leak on these cars is the gas lines that run under the power steering unit (front driver's side of the engine down where you can't see it). They rub and wear through. Jack the car up and have someone turn the key on--just run the fuel pump--and look for the leak. Don't run the car until you figure it out and get it fixed!
Keith

cause of gas smell located

After putting it up on the lift we discovered it was the main feed line off the tank that runs over the rear cross member. The area was soaken wet above the three feed lines off the tank above the cross member. Had to remove the shield and almost guess which of the three lines it was. But given the fact that the "main" line was the biggest, and made a 90 degree elbow off from the the other two lines, and then across the cross member ((where you really could not see), we chose that one. Romoved the line at the rubber hose clamp off the tank and "sawzalled" off the other end just in front of the left rear tire which we had removed. Replaced with 4' of 9.5 mm fuel line hose across the cross member with some wire ties to hold it in place and problem solved. Replaced shield, and no more smell.

CRUZNTTYPE , bingo!!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, much appreciated!!!

Ed

Glad to be of help - that's what I like about this board - "somone has already been there done that" - and is willing to share!

John