Fuel cell venting question

sixgun86gn

six offender
For those of you who have fuel cells in your car...

Is there a strong gasoline odor in your garage when there is fuel inside?

My garage reeks of gas fumes and it is getting into the front of my house,is there anything I can do to make the gas stop smelling?

I have tried attaching the end of my vent line to the old charcoal canister and it has not helped.

I hope someone has a way to keep the odor down at least.

The problem is not the fuel cell, it's the braided lines. I cap my cell's vent off when my car is in the garage and still got the fuel smell.

If you want to get rid of the smell you need to replace all braided line with Teflon lined braided line. $$$$. The racing gas smell seeps through the rubber line. The racing gas slowly breaks down the rubber braided line and it should be replaced every 2-3 years anyway. A friend just figured all this out and replaced all his line with Teflon line and the smell went away.

what's the solution? Is there a type of hose out there that's better than the rest?

Dusty,I looked at both Jegs and Summit and I can't tell if any of thier hoses are teflon lined.

Is there a certain brand of hose I need to look for or is it a hose that the performance shops don't carry?

You'll have to call Russell or Aeroquip and get the part#. Like Tom said, the E85 hose may be teflon lined but I'd check before buying.

The problem is not the fuel cell, it's the braided lines. I cap my cell's vent off when my car is in the garage and still got the fuel smell.

If you want to get rid of the smell you need to replace all braided line with Teflon lined braided line. $$$$. The racing gas smell seeps through the rubber line. The racing gas slowly breaks down the rubber braided line and it should be replaced every 2-3 years anyway. A friend just figured all this out and replaced all his line with Teflon line and the smell went away.

How long does the teflon line last before needing to be replaced?

will regular 93 octane also weep through regular hose??? i presume no, becasue it is used commonly on cars.

I've never had a problem with a fuel cell and or braided lines. I've been using braided lines for 15 years.

I don't think that's the problem, 99% of the racers use braided fuel lines without this problem. I would look for a small leak somewhere or even try capping the vent off while it's sitting for a couple days and see if that cures it.

I know of LOTS of racers that have had problems with braided line in their fuel system, from major leaks to "seeping" through it.:confused:

The push loc has been on my car for years and it will sometimes slightly "seep" at a joint. It is rated at 300 psi.:)

I see the same thing with S/S braided fuel line (rubber). The fuel breathes out through the rubber lines. I always cap off my cell when the car is sitting, and 2 to 3 weeks later the cell can be empty. The fuel just evaporates away through the lines. I've heard of other racers complain about the same thing.

Alright, everyone keeps saying that fuel evaporates through rubber lines, well what about the rubber lines on the factory fule lines that go up the the engine? they are rubber, but noone complains about that? can someone explain the difference?

Alright, everyone keeps saying that fuel evaporates through rubber lines, well what about the rubber lines on the factory fule lines that go up the the engine? they are rubber, but noone complains about that? can someone explain the difference?

I'm not an expert on the properties of different rubber materials, but I'm sure it has to do with the chemical makeup of the different rubbers. The rubber that is used in S/S braided line does well at handling gas, alcohol and nitro. As with a lot of things, I'm sure there is a compromise in there somewhere to get a rubber material to handle such different fuels.

Why don't most guys just run tubing, weather steel, stainless or aluminum???

My plan was to run stainless tubing from the external pump to where the original fuel line fiting is located.

What about that?

Why don't most guys just run tubing, weather steel, stainless or aluminum???

My plan was to run stainless tubing from the external pump to where the original fuel line fiting is located.

What about that?

Good luck with all that,let us know how it goes;) .

Wow, thanks for the vague response...

There are hundreds of guys on this site that have converted to fuel cells and external pumps....

Do you really think you are the only one with the great epiphany of running hard line and noone else has tried/thought about it?

Long story short...you will give up in disgust just trying to remove the stock lines and then decide to run braided hose.

There, I have saved you the grief of removing your cars body from the frame just to run some fuel line.