fuel sender help?

86 got boost

Well i've been going crazy for yrs now w/ a fuel sender on my digital car that the gas guage reads 4 Gallons but sucking fumes,
it was 4 but now when it reads 6 its gas time!!!
Ok I had found 2 sights that carry senders,
the first is out of gurnee, illinois called *********** $395 yes WOW! yes original
GM part.
the second is out of madison wisc. ROCKAUTO.COM $134

Unless others had removed and cleaned the contacts and had success?
HTH and hope to be helped ha ha..
ray

I also have a 86 digital dash TR,and also have the same issues with the gas gage.Some info suggests that the problem may not be the sender ,but in the translation(computer?) to the gage. I have about decided to change over to the analog dash.Keep us posted if you get the problem solved.

Some info suggests that the problem may not be the sender ,but in the translation(computer?) to the gage.

Most likely NOT the sender, but rather the (mis)calibration of the digital dash fuel module/doohicky. They get worse and worse over time, just like the tach/boost gages on the analog dash cars. Contact John Spina at Casper's Electronics, he can fix you right up. Hopefully he'll chime in here. There's a tech article on his site regarding this issue....
HTH

I also have a digital dash and did have the same problem. My guage would read 2 gallons and the car would start sputtering. I ended up pulling out the sending unit and noticed it was adjustable. On mine there are two screws with springs on each end. I ended up hooking up the sending unit wire and a ground. With the key on and the float down it said 2 gallons. I adjusted the bottom screw until it read E. I then moved the float up and the guage read 15 gallons, so I had to adjust the top screw also. I kept doing the proceedure till I got the guage to read correctly. I have both a sending unit from an analog cluster and a digital cluster. When I get a chance, I will post pics of both. If I am correct, they are different units.

nos4gn was the other sight, and thanks for the replies.
rockauto has to special order and it takes 180 days...

Over here they talk about digital dash cars w a new sending unit and there is also a link to buy a gm one.. I did and well worth the $$$

fuel sending unit - TurboBuicks.com

I read through this and still don't really understand if all senders are 90 ohm and will interchange and will work with both dash units. But is does appear that most problems are sender related. Sounds like that is the next purchase .

Before I spent that kind of $$$ on a sender, I'd be inclined to buy a $30 aftermarket sending unit, cut off the resistor and rivet/solder/weld it to a factory hanger. Or just drop the tank, cut the hole and install it as-is.

the analog pumps are discontinued, the digital pump is available and suppose to work fine in analog cars, that there will be no problem using it.