street turbo

Bugsy

After spending hours searching /emailing on the net , I still find the #'ers , options and opinions on turbos confusing so thought I'd ask here .
I have 87 GN street/touring car so I'm not interested in tenths faster just a quick street car that has get up and go when a challange comes along .
Car has - walbro 340 wired , 3" maf with translator , big mouth air intake , 50# injectors , alky control , T.H. d3" d.p. , split exhaust , rjc power plate , Pats 12" model 2800 tc[ Pats say depending on combo may be 2600 to 2800 stall ] . Engine internals and turbo are stock .
I also have a lg front mt intercooler & ported heads to go in some day when I choose [ and can afford ] a new turbo
Any help from those of you who have had lots of experience I'd appreciate your suggestions on turbo choice . Some have said a dbb is the way to go . Some say the billet wheels for sure - - others say I need neither .
Spring is around the corner so I'd like to be able to use the time I've been spending on the computer searching for a turbo , getting the car ready . Thanks

If price is not an object a BB Billet wheel turbo is the way to go.

I would suggest one of the smaller versions a 6157 BB would probably be the last turbo you would need... IMO!

Should spool with a 2800 stall and give you all the power your stock internals will want:wink:

PM Jay if you want a price,;)

For a cheaper and great all around stock type replacement a TA-49!

I have a Precision GT3255 on mine. It worked great with the stock TC and I ran 12.0 @112 with it. With my current mods however, I'll be looking to upgrade....

I've got a ball bearing 6157 on my stock motored car which I like alot. I'm happy with the performance with the stock converter and if the trans wasn't coming out anyway I wouldn't deviate from that. I'm going with a 2800 which should make it absolutely rip. Whatever you select I definately think the ball bearing setup is the way to go. It allows you to go with either a larger turbo than you might normally select or a tighter converter than you might normally select or both. I'll never buy another turbo without a ballbearing center section.

Is your 6157 noticeably stronger than the stock turbo?Any times to compare the two ? What boost are you running ?

Is your 6157 noticeably stronger than the stock turbo?Any times to compare the two ? What boost are you running ?

Noticeably....I would say considerably. I went from stock to a GT6131 and it is the difference between a hard pushed high 12 to a mid 11 taking it easy.

I went from a bone stock car to everything you see in my sig at once, so I wasn't able to make a direct comparison, but there is just no comparison here. On pump gas and alcohol I'm running 24-25lbs of boost and the car moves out quite well. Even with 3 people in the car (myself included) it still feels faster than my z06, and that's running through the stock airbox/intake :eek: When I finally get the intake on the car and turn it up a little, the car is going to rip even more than it already does.

Great street setup.

Go with the TA49, call presision and they can make it up for you. Huge change from the stock turbo.
Then call Bill @ westcoastconverter.com and he will no what to do.:smile:

The street manners will be great. I am an avid drag racer taking the buick out once in a while. Hard to go 11.90 after 7 sec trips but it is still fun.
I wanted a great street tune that will pass California smog tests, and it does with the chips I burned.

Tom