stock turbo and front mount.....

KillrV6

Former owner
OK i know this has been debated many times, i have spent 3 or 4 hours reading EVERY related post but have not come to a
good conclusion yet.

i have a PTE front mount that i got for like 600 bucks in my garage.

BUT, im runing stock turbo and a very light setup. i may upgrade some day soon to a larger turbo but i kinda want to fine tune this combo and maby even get an alky kit.

im seriously considering selling the front mount and getting
a thunder fab. stock location.......but what i guess i really want to know is will i see a gain of power w/ stock turbo and a front mount?

will i get more with a stock location like the thunder fab?

i defanitly like the idea of no heat soak of a front mount, and it really dosent get hot enough here in the bay aria (california) to cause overheating issues (most i would hafto do is ramchargers fans)

if the power gain is the same, ill just keep the front mount.
if not, well a stock location it is i guess

:confused:

There's a guy in our local club who just added a FMIC and has the stock turbo and stock injectors. He says he picked up 3 mph at the track a week ago. He seems really happy with the setup. He didn't mention of any negatives with this setup.

Since you already have it, install it and report back your findings.

Dannyo

I have a buddy back home with a 87 GN...this is one of those guys, best of everthing...if it's not the best he don't want it...He put a FM on a stock turbo car, and loved it and never looked back...He already had a good stall in it so I can't comment on spool, but if I had one just laying around, I'd put it on, Expectally if I had bigger and better plans down the road, you might not pick up much right off the bat, but it'll be better down the road...If you get rid of it you'll probably end up loosing money, cuz then you gotta sell yours buy a new stock location, and then if you want one later down the road you have to sell the used stock location AND find another FM...screw that bolt it on and have fun.

put it this way bud. It is already used. Wether you sell it now, or after you bolt it up and try it out for a month, you will probly get the same money for it either way (give or take 20-30 bucks) So why don't you just put it on, and see if you like it before you talk about sellin? I don't know how you have waited this long. When I get a new toy, I'm tryin to install it before I get the box open.:D

I have done this with no problems what so ever...........
car ran 11.95@111 street chip and DR's
I also don't know why everybody always says the cooling is effected. I ran the ramchargers dual fan setup no problems

A front mount will give you more gain with a stock turbo than with a bigger turbo. The stocker is less efficient and creates more heat than the bigger turbos so the FM will have a greater effect. As for spool, has anyone ever had problems spooling a stock turbo?

Good luck and let us know how you like it.

put it on and don't look back!!

yep Danny is right, i just put a front mount on my stock TR and i was very impressed with the results. I got 316hp@456torque at the dyno a couple of weeks ago on 19psi with a JL 110 race chip.
and i went to the track last week and ran 7.81@87.19mph on 19psi. w/1.72 60". and i have oringinal 53k mile valve springs. and you will have to put a ramchargers fan on there so you can keep those temps down. on a 80* day at red lights mine runs around 176-184 or so. w/ 160 stat @ ramchargers dual fans on high all the time:p i need to add that RMI-25 stuff, i hear it works pretty good. Good Luck!