Stock rockers or roller rockers?

cuda6pak

Debating on whether to go ahead and drop the money on roller rockers or stick with the stockers.

Combo - stock block, crank, rods, wiseco pistons, champion ported irons, champion intake, revolution X 210/215 roller cam, stock headers, CPT66BB, razors dual nozzle alky, TT 6.0 and Powerlogger.

On one hand I'd like to go ahead and maximize the combo, and on the other hand I wouldn't mind saving $500 for a few HP. I understand I'll get an extra few ponies out of the friction loss, but are they REALLY needed?? Is the cam big enough or spring pressures really that high that I NEED rollers?

My decision to go to roller rockers, was based less on performance and more on the likelyhood of breaking the stocker rocker setup and the potential costs associated with doing so...Not everyone breaks their stock shafts with roller cams, but I felt enough did to justify paying up now instead of risking the potential damage and paying more later...

my two cents anyway...

nate

How much spring pressure? How much of this stuff do you have vs. still need to buy?

My decision to go to roller rockers, was based less on performance and more on the likelyhood of breaking the stocker rocker setup and the potential costs associated with doing so...Not everyone breaks their stock shafts with roller cams, but I felt enough did to justify paying up now instead of risking the potential damage and paying more later...

my two cents anyway...

nate

+ 1 You also get the benefit of getting the preload set just right on every valve.

Chuck

IMHO, the benefit is not really in reduced friction, but in the valve train geometry/set-up.

When I got my heads done, I had the shop hold 50% of total tolerance on the stem height. Even at that, the stock rockers varied 0.070” on the preload, low-high. With the 0.015” preload target for Morrel lifters, there was no way to hold the tolerance, even with a set of custom pushrods.

I ended using adjustable pushrods again ;), and got the preload 0.015”-0.019” on all the valves.
The decision was primarily based on the need for taller VC or spacers with the roller rockers.

FWIW;
Contrary to other belief, the motor has seen plenty of RPM :biggrin: and I am not too worried about them. I know of local cars running +6000 with the adjustable pushrods. :cool:

Shouldn't HD shafts and a set of braces do the trick?? I'm in the process of going roller and that's what I have to put on..

I have heavy duty shafts with rjc braces on my car. I run a flat tappet and i would have to ask Nick what he seat pressure is on the springs. I have broken rocker arms now. I do turn my motor over 6k at times. Stock rockers are fine imop if you want to save some money. Just make sure everything is setup correctly and it will live