Stage 2 cam help.

dr_frankenstein

Mad Scientist
I am working on setting up the cam I need for my engine.

blown 4.1, 6V92 15% overdriven for 17-21lbs boost, 9.96-1 static compression, stock stroke, oliver 6.650 "window makers", stage 2 heads, dry sump.

I need opinions. Here is what I made for a pattern - though my ideas may be strange to begin with.

advertized duration 272/294

LSA 114*

Intake Lobe 6313 (comp cam)
Exhaust Lobe 6012 (comp cam)

Duration @ .050 (I) 242* (E) 256*
Duration @ .200 (I) 151* (E) 162*

Bigger? smaller?

looking to make 750-850 hp. Also need the ability to be able to grow into a larger blower such as a 8-71 or 10-71 for max boost pressure of 30lbs.

thanks.

You are leaving so much on the table with a flat cam and those heads it burns my eyes to look at those lobes. You could run a lot more lift and increase ramp so much with a solid here. The sky's the limit pretty much. All depends on how much you want to put into the valvetrain. Soooo much potential.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I would be all for a solid roller, I have most of it to do it, but where I want to play dictates a flat tappet. Thats how they are leveling the playing field. No way around it. I am even considering a .904 lifter to help revive what's lost.

Brian, would you be interested in working with me to design a cam? This is a max effort approach to crappy stuff. I just don't know what the limits are to the tech.

I have to agree with Brian about the cam Aj. If you run a mushroom you can run much more than you think and won't have to work the engine as hard.;)

I have to agree with Brian about the cam Aj. If you run a mushroom you can run much more than you think and won't have to work the engine as hard.;)

And I agree with you Charlie but I need to know if its even possible with the lifter size as it is before I tool up to bore and bush the lifter bores. Mushroom or bigger is a drastic change and a lot of work. But I'm willing to machine it up if it need be. I can't get around the rule. Has to be a flat tappet or I can't play. There is about 21 cars for this and were all super competitive so I'm willing to spend the money to make this possible. Whole reason I stepped up to stage 2 in the first place.

:D

How much is the pay out Aj? If you don't win or place 2nd it really may not be worth it. What are the rules as far as weight ect? I may be able to help you configure the chassis to help make you out.;)

I don't think the spacing between lobes would allow that. The cam position and thrust would need to be tightly controlled as well as the lifter position over the lobes. I was thinking of going to a .90x lifter but the width looks to close for comfort for me.
Allan G

So... besides the fact that its super difficult...... complicated.... expensive... and probably not worth the money... I want to do it anyways. I mean, I already have a blower, carbs, and a manual trans... why not make this more retarded?

My machinest feels we could get a .904 in if we have to, but if we could stay .842 or even just .874 we would be well pleased.

So any thoughts to the numbers above other then it frys Brians eyes? I know there are some extreme opening lobes for a solid flatty like the XTX and XTQ that im interested in, but i need to know first what kind of lobe is ideal for the type of heads i have. Thus, I shot low on the lobe list to get a feel for if im moving in the right direction. I will worry about the details, I just need help with the numbers.

Just let me have this Norbsy style. To The Moon :D

I don't really know in the weeds cam specs, or how to choose what, but I know Brian and Allan are tight with Comp, and Crower is two exits away from me if I can help.

How much is the pay out Aj? If you don't win or place 2nd it really may not be worth it. What are the rules as far as weight ect? I may be able to help you configure the chassis to help make you out.;)

lol... you know me all to well. lets just say enough to make me want it that bad. cars from tucson to elpaso will be meeting for a straight axle bash.

I wouldn't say a .904 lifter can't be done because I know others have done it but I would definitely say its probably unlikely you would get a .904 mushroom tappet to fit. But then again maybe a custom narrow lobe would work.
AG

I know there are some extreme opening lobes for a solid flatty like the XTX and XTQ that im interested in, but i need to know first what kind of lobe is ideal for the type of heads i have. Thus, I shot low on the lobe list to get a feel for if im moving in the right direction. I will worry about the details, I just need help with the numbers.

There is a more aggressive MM series solid that is designed to run with the larger .904 lifter. Has way more duration at .200 with the same rated duration.
AG

I know there are some extreme opening lobes for a solid flatty like the XTX and XTQ that im interested in, but i need to know first what kind of lobe is ideal for the type of heads i have. Thus, I shot low on the lobe list to get a feel for if im moving in the right direction. I will worry about the details, I just need help with the numbers.

There is a more aggressive MM series solid that is designed to run with the larger .904 lifter. Has way more duration at .200 with the same rated duration.
AG

AG

Now were talking! Okay so you feel a .904 lifter is at a minimum what we need in ramp rate and duration at .200. Since only the .904 diameter is going to offer that lift and duration.

Now were talking! Okay so you feel a .904 lifter is at a minimum what we need in ramp rate and duration at .200. Since only the .904 diameter is going to offer that lift and duration.

You need the larger lifter face to accommodate the faster ramp cam. the larger diameter will allow the intensity to be increaawd without the edge of the lifter digging into the cam lobe. It's a compounding effect. The larger the face the more aggressive the lobe can be. You need to figure out how to get a .904" lifter in that engine. Your competition will be running that lifter. There is a huge gain in doing so because you can hang the valve open a lot more where the head is actually flowing well.

Thank you Brian, that's what I was needing to know. So from there what in nature for duration should I look for?

Thank you Brian, that's what I was needing to know. So from there what in nature for duration should I look for?

As much as possible at higher lifts. It depends on the limitations of the valvetrain. What is the most lift you can run with current configuration. Usually we are at the mercy of lift on the small hyd fast ramp applications but for this application we might have other limitations even with the .904" lifter.