spooling a T66 turbo with a stock D-5 converter

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
Simply stated what I'm planning to do is replace the compressor rubber line w/ the RJC unit(on the compressor side of the Y) and leave everything else the stock.

simply stated it is, thank you for the post for it has opened my eyes for what i need to do to make this work.

thanks
BW

No problem. Feel free to email w/ your ideas and I'll be glad to think on them.

I won't be using the RJC to its full potential but it will give me faster spool(I believe), and boost creep fix since I can put lower tension in the rod. I still plan to use the chip for peak boost control and as I said an electronic valve w/ bleeder for a alky boost setting at the flip of a switch.

I just took the car out for a run after I installed the RJC BC, Bilstein shocks, Kirban front braces and 3 Autometer gauges. A 17+ year old car shouldn't ride that good. The boost controller is insane. I nailed 20 psi the first time out and it held for 4 gears rock steady. Not to mention the wheel spin in 1st & 2nd gear when the 20 psi hits in a blink.

It changed the entire driveability of the car. When passing on the highway, 10 psi rings up with very little throtte pressure and then the full 20 would hit in a fraction of a second if wanted.

I'm extremely happy with the RJC BC and it has been one of the best mods I have done to the car so far.

MArk and Bryan, I have the RJC controller and am going to install it with my electronic BstC controller.
There is no extra plumbing with the BstC controller, it simply overrides the factory electronic signal to the WG solenoid and all of the factory 'Y' fitting and vac lines stay in place.

So, in order to install the RJC controller along with the BstC, I should just simply put it in-line with the current vac lines on the compressor side between the 'Y' and the compressor housing...set it to 15-18 lbs and that's it it I normally run around 22-24# of boost.

What I'm not sure about is how the extra bleeder hole in the RJC setup will effect this operation.
I'm thinking the RJC will keep the puck closed until 15-18# then the BstC takes over after that.

That sounds like a good plan. The little bleeder hole shouldn't make too much of a difference, basically a small bleed which gives the device a little higher boost setting than just the spring and allows the WG puck to close when you let off if you have it hooked up tuner style. Tuning and driving will tell. I'd start on the conservative side w/ teh RJC around 15 to make sure the other controller has control and go from there.

somebody should be kind enough to draw up a diagram of how to use the RJC controller and the BstC controller.

would the wastegate solenoid line go between the compressor housing and RJC controller with a fitting or the factory Y fitting?

Originally posted by 87GNcospg
somebody should be kind enough to draw up a diagram of how to use the RJC controller and the BstC controller.

would the wastegate solenoid line go between the compressor housing and RJC controller with a fitting or the factory Y fitting?

For everyone, actually. Anything you can come up with.

For example, I am using a bleeder valve and not the factory wastegate solenoid.

Originally posted by jsta6
For everyone, actually. Anything you can come up with.

For example, I am using a bleeder valve and not the factory wastegate solenoid.

where can i pick up a bleeder vavle? part #?

where can i pick up a bleeder vavle? part #?

Check the for sale section of this board. There is a board member that sells them. Or used to.

If not, you can try ebay or any of the TR vendors.

Try Grainger valve, bleeder valve, etc.

I'm just simply going to cut the vac line from the 'Y' fitting to the compressor housing in half and place the RJC controller in between. The same end of the RJC Controller will go towards the compressor housing as is documented in their instructions....everything else stays in-tact as-is.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
I'm just simply going to cut the vac line from the 'Y' fitting to the compressor housing in half and place the RJC controller in between. The same end of the RJC Controller will go towards the compressor housing as is documented in their instructions....everything else stays in-tact as-is.

well, let us know how it works.

well, let us know how it works.
I installed it this evening and keeping the BstC commander and stock 'Y' in place....
There is absolutely NO difference when trying to power brake and build boost at the line. This is because the BstC bleeds off all boost from the solenoid at first for quick spool up, and my chip is programmed to bleed at 100% starting at a very low rpm. I suspect the solenoid is fully capable of bleeding all the boost at low rpms and boost levels.
This device would help those running a grainger or plain tuner style as I've seen an unbelievable amount of folks running tuner style not realizing how much spoolup they are sacrificing.

But from a rolling start it does seem to spool faster. I turned my BstC down to about half of what it was set at, ..was at 24# should now be around 20#, left the arm the same length and it spiked the boost from 5# to 26# very fast...I probably have the spring adjustment in the RJC controll compressed too much, I only have about 1/4 of the threads showing.
Needless to say, when it spiked to 26# I let out very fast, luckily I had the alky turned way up just in case.

I ran out of day light, but tomorrow I'll try backing the adjustment out about 1/2 way and try it again to see if it can controll boost along with the BstC.

when you get your controller you will notice that there is a pinhole drilled in the 90 deg end. this is a special orficed pressure relief. the size of the hole was determined by countless hours of testing. to big or to small and it doesn't work right.

what is the purpose of this pinhole?

Race Jace,
So to adjust boost, we no longer adjust the actuator, just tighten or loosen your device, right??

correct, just adjust the device.

the pin hole is there to bleet the pressure off that is in the diaphram after the controller closes. (ball settles on the seat)

there are allot of different ways to install our controller. We prefer K.I.S.S. way of running the line direct from the boost source to the actuator with our controller in between. this works the best.

sometimes complexity only adds to your problems instead of solving them.

ok, messed with it some more this evening, when you get it adjusted down to where it controls boost, there is massive boost flutter, like 18-23# very fast...
So this device does not work well with the BstC controller.

Standalone as Jason describes works great! But spool is no faster than with the BstC controller and the chip set to bleed 100% at low rpms.

With that said, I will keep my BstC, so does anyone want the RJC controoler I have with about 8 WOT boost passes on it for $40 includes shipping...regular price is $45+shipping so this will save you about $10...PM me.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
Hey Rob, was that with the factory Y or w/o? If with the Y I wonder how it would do w/o it....
That was with the factory 'y'. It flutters probably because the solenioid is trying to controll boost and the pin-hole is bleeding out boost.

The bottom line for me was no added spoolup when power braking at the line over the setup I already have, although it is much faster if already rolling but that doesn't help me much if it won't work with the factory setup.
I suspose without the 'y' I'd have a hard time controlling boost with the BstC once past the "open point" for the RJC valve.

I also have a HD 18# actuator, so with a 1/8" short rod, that would be about 20# min.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6
ok, messed with it some more this evening, when you get it adjusted down to where it controls boost, there is massive boost flutter, like 18-23# very fast...
So this device does not work well with the BstC controller.

Standalone as Jason describes works great! But spool is no faster than with the BstC controller and the chip set to bleed 100% at low rpms.

With that said, I will keep my BstC, so does anyone want the RJC controoler I have with about 8 WOT boost passes on it for $40 includes shipping...regular price is $45+shipping so this will save you about $10...PM me.

once i get my "no boost past 15" issue solved i will try using the BstC with a manual controller like the RJC but it does not have the bleeder hole in it.