should i switch to a th-400

blackstallion

I recentlwent to the track and 7.7@88.mph inthe 1/8 in my 454bbc regal gn clone.On a stock 87 gn th-2004r just has a big externalcooler on it only.According to the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile conversions this would be a low 12 pass.I just got the e-brock nitrous kit 100hp jets.Should i sell my th-2004r now since its in great shape and get th-400.I was planning on just getting the ck recalibration kit and rolling the dice.I dont really care for the od my gas milage is not a concern its not a car i drive often anyways.But i love the th-2004r deep first gear.

The 200 is capable of living at your power levels but it will need some upgrades, billet parts, etc.
You should be able to sell the BRF core for $300-400 or so.

You could also install a 2.75 gearset in a TH400 but I don't think you'll need or want it with the N2O. Big torque spike when you flip the switch.
Not worth the $600 IMO for your combo.

If you want a deal on a TH400, I have a Chevy short tail TH400 built and ready to go I want to get out of the shop. All the upgrades for up to 800 HP and still use an automatic valve body.
34 element sprag, High energy clutches, rollerized output to case, dual fed directs, deep pan, 4 clutch intermediate, 6 clutch direct, etc.

I'll cover shipping if you want this one.

I recentlwent to the track and 7.7@88.mph inthe 1/8 in my 454bbc regal gn clone.On a stock 87 gn th-2004r just has a big externalcooler on it only.According to the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile conversions this would be a low 12 pass.I just got the e-brock nitrous kit 100hp jets.Should i sell my th-2004r now since its in great shape and get th-400.I was planning on just getting the ck recalibration kit and rolling the dice.I dont really care for the od my gas milage is not a concern its not a car i drive often anyways.But i love the th-2004r deep first gear.

I have run countless low 7 passes in the 1/8 with a BR trans. Only mods were a shift kit, good clutches, and a billet servo. Key is eliminating wheel hop. NO Billet parts needed.

For a little while...

No offense, but you might want to switch builders if you think you can't run in the 7's in the 1/8 multiple times without billet parts. You can put all the billet parts in the world and still burn a clutch band..No magic parts needed to make them live. 11.0 was about the limit of my mildly built trans. Nothing against the 400 but I like having a 4 speed.

I see you build transmissions for a living so I guess you know what to expect out of a 200.

No offense, but you might want to switch builders if you think you can't run in the 7's in the 1/8 multiple times without billet parts. You can put all the billet parts in the world and still burn a clutch band..No magic parts needed to make them live. 11.0 was about the limit of my mildly built trans. Nothing against the 400 but I like having a 4 speed.

Switch builders,
I've built "several" 200-4Rs, probably in the hundreds now, and I have a decent idea of what works and what doesn't.

The key thing with a 200-4R is, unless you jack line pressure sky high (pump wear) it has to be dual fed to live, and when you do that, the first 2-3 shift at WOT WILL break the forward drum shaft.

I've got several local guys running low 10's, transbrakes, etc.

If you want clutches that live, you dual feed it, which equals a billet drum at a minimum.

Switch builders,
I've built "several" 200-4Rs, probably in the hundreds now, and I have a decent idea of what works and what doesn't.

The key thing with a 200-4R is, unless you jack line pressure sky high (pump wear) it has to be dual fed to live, and when you do that, the first 2-3 shift at WOT WILL break the forward drum shaft.

I've got several local guys running low 10's, transbrakes, etc.

If you want clutches that live, you dual feed it, which equals a billet drum at a minimum.

I know what it takes as I have a full billet roller. If I was to step up into the 9's I would make the switch over to a 400. hijack over..:)

Bruce summed it up pretty good in his Sticky at top,
SOMETIMES you can get away with more than you should. You may be lucky and have a unit that got all the heat treat done on a Tues-Thursday and not on Monday or Friday :D

IMO any 11 second car needs the billet forward drum. I have a bunch out there with nothing billet except the fwd drum and servo, living fine in the mid-high 11s.
I usually tell my customers that up to 500 HP, run the stock input shaft and OD stuff but put the drum in it. If it breaks an input we usually have an easy fix.
If I tell them they are OK without all the billet and they break an input I warranty the labor for free.
If I tell them they need it all, and they cheap out, there is no warranty on the broken parts.

I've seen some 200s live without billet well into the 11s, but like I said for "a little while". One car was pulling up an inclined driveway and snapped the stock fwd drum after many 11 second passes. :eek:

well looks like ill just keep the 200 it perfectly fine right now.Ill get a recalibration kit,hi-flow filter,and new deep sump pan.Ill see how far that takes me.Since many have gone low 7's in the 1/8th ill take my chances.

FWIW my stock unopened 2004r with a ARt CArr HTVBkit in it lasted 75 k in Daily Driver/Beat on daily/Street raced and strip raced in 12.20-12.10range before teh 2-3 started to flare and slipped.
BBC with dope will kill it even with 1.8 60's its a time bomb JMHO. The stator, input shaft, drum, planets, 2nd gear band..one of them or a comb of them will die first
Good luck dude the 400 is strong but the OD drive is nice.

Ok whats are the bare bones essentials for a th-400 to survive behind a mild 454 bbc with a 100-125 shot? .I would say about 475-500 hp on the juice.I got a guy on craigslist who offered my 600 bucks for it.With the d-5 converter.I am on a tight budget my freinds got as tock th-400 in good shape ready for me for 250.

My point was you need to change some parts inside your 200 and it should work.
Call up LONNIE AT EXTREME AUTOMATICS, hes the man and will set you straight.
at this point you are going to have to pay either way but the 400 will cost more , drive shaft, convertor, etc

I ll send you a PM with a inside tip

You have alot of room to grow before you need to think about a turbo 400 i.m.o.
200r4 is a good trans when built properly even without all the billet parts.