Which shift kit and torque converter should I go back to?

DARTHV6

Hello all!
A few of you have listened to my story, but real quick, I have a GN that has sat for 15 years I used to race, best time was 11.8 @ 124mph 1/4 mile. Those were the days! Cancer and life took me away since then. I removed my 9.5 torque converter, shift kit and trains brake, making the transmission basically back to stock so I can comfortably cruise around in my old age. Now comes my great Nephew and he wants to know all about our cars. He took her down the track and did pretty good for a first time 14.8 @ 97 1/4 mile, race gas 110, I think 20 pounds of boost, no boost held at the line. He couldn't get it to shift into 3rd.

Cancer has my memory shot but I do have the FAST system I don't know how to use, the old 63 turbo, dunno what injectors I have, 55? So a few things I hope you can help me with:

I had a really nice trans brake. Can't remember what kind. What trans brakes are we using nowadays?

I had a great shift kit that I put in myself that was easy, had a check ball thing. What's good now?

I liked the 9.5 TC but is that outdated now? Or what do you need to know about the car to make a suggestion. I think I can get it back to the 11's
Hey! Thanks for your time. This darn kid has got me back in it spending money again! Any suggestion is cool.

Art

Call Dave Husek ( Turbo Buick Performance ) and he can help you with all your transmission & converter needs .
516-860-5287 any day . Do not E-mail , call .

Lonnie at Extreme Automatics in Ohio I think has the only electorate brake for the 2004r 513-898-0553.
He has a nice website at Extreme Automatics to snoop around in

Lonnie at Extreme Automatics in Ohio I think has the only electorate brake for the 2004r 513-898-0553.
He has a nice website at Extreme Automatics to snoop around in
I’ve been searching some old post and this seems really similar to what I had back in the early 2000’s I put one in myself and I had to drill a hole in the valve body. I don’t remember anything about a two part thing. You just put it in low and slapped it forward. Does that sound familiar?

Yes that was called stage right trans break.Lonnie May have a few laying around, he did two years ago when I was at his shop.

Lonnie was the man when I got my GN 12 or 13 years ago . I never abandon him even though he doesn’t post anymore. We have some great transmission people here but I’ll give Lonnie a thumbs up when I can.

Yes that was called stage right trans break.Lonnie May have a few laying around, he did two years ago when I was at his shop.
Ok, that worked for me. I know it’s all a matter of preference sometimes but is the electric brake better nowadays? For me it’s going to come down to the ease of putting it on myself or teaching my Nephew.

I would use the 9.5 converter.

My original T has a 10" non-lock up converter which was installed in 1987, and it works great still.

If the trans brake is still in the trans, he should have mastered how to launch in 2 or 3 seasons at the track!

Wish you all the best for your cancer, mine is under control for now.

My original T has a 10" non-lock up converter which was installed in 1987, and it works great still.

If the trans brake is still in the trans, he should have mastered how to launch in 2 or 3 seasons at the track!

I think

A few years ago I lost reverse so I just took it to a local transmission shop and had it repaired and stripped of all the race goodies, 9.5, trans brake, and shift kit. I don’t know if the trans brake is dangling inside but I know it’s disconnected cuz I can drive in all gears. I don’t remember them returning it tho. My Nephew who is out State never worked on cars until a few weeks ago bringing this old girl out of storage!

I think I will go back to the 9.5. I don’t know what they replaced it with but it’s blue and not my old one pinkish purple 9.5. Do you have a shift kit to suggest?

I have Multiple Myeloma cancer, a painful bone cancer. I’m doing ok. Which cancer are beating?

Art

I think

A few years ago I lost reverse so I just took it to a local transmission shop and had it repaired and stripped of all the race goodies, 9.5, trans brake, and shift kit. I don’t know if the trans brake is dangling inside but I know it’s disconnected cuz I can drive in all gears. I don’t remember them returning it tho. My Nephew who is out State never worked on cars until a few weeks ago bringing this old girl out of storage!

I think I will go back to the 9.5. I don’t know what they replaced it with but it’s blue and not my old one pinkish purple 9.5. Do you have a shift kit to suggest?

I have Multiple Myeloma cancer, a painful bone cancer. I’m doing ok. Which cancer are beating?

Art
Remember prayer is a very powerful tool my friend.

Hello all!
A few of you have listened to my story, but real quick, I have a GN that has sat for 15 years I used to race, best time was 11.8 @ 124mph 1/4 mile. Those were the days! Cancer and life took me away since then. I removed my 9.5 torque converter, shift kit and trains brake, making the transmission basically back to stock so I can comfortably cruise around in my old age. Now comes my great Nephew and he wants to know all about our cars. He took her down the track and did pretty good for a first time 14.8 @ 97 1/4 mile, race gas 110, I think 20 pounds of boost, no boost held at the line. He couldn't get it to shift into 3rd.

Cancer has my memory shot but I do have the FAST system I don't know how to use, the old 63 turbo, dunno what injectors I have, 55? So a few things I hope you can help me with:

I had a really nice trans brake. Can't remember what kind. What trans brakes are we using nowadays?

I had a great shift kit that I put in myself that was easy, had a check ball thing. What's good now?

I liked the 9.5 TC but is that outdated now? Or what do you need to know about the car to make a suggestion. I think I can get it back to the 11's
Hey! Thanks for your time. This darn kid has got me back in it spending money again! Any suggestion is cool.

Art
give dave a call,with the right converter and combo the transbrake is not needed,thats what is really outdated ;)

give dave a call,with the right converter and combo the transbrake is not needed,thats what is really outdated ;)
Spool,
I’ve heard that from a few other members. I just replaced my accumulator bowl, brand new front brakes and rear brakes with S-10 cylinders, bled the brakes 4 times and I couldn’t hold a pound of boost at the line last week. I think the only thing left to do is overhaul my power master or research changing the whole thing. How are you holding boost at the line?

I can hold 10 same setup I do have stainless lines but don’t think that’s the secret.if there new shoes on the back they probably are not touching 100% ,pull the drum and look ,bet it’s 50%or less.
When one has cancer you can never have to many prayers.

I can hold 10 same setup I do have stainless lines but don’t think that’s the secret.if there new shoes on the back they probably are not touching 100% ,pull the drum and look ,bet it’s 50%or less.
When one has cancer you can never have to many prayers.
Hey Hensleyt,
You are right about that. Prayers work every time! It started about 3-4 weeks ago with a brake light and a weak pedal. I changed the accumulator and got rid of the light but it still felt like I was stepping in a bowl of tapioca pudding. Pulled the drums but I had to beat them off. I had the soft pads on that weren’t worn at all but I replaced them with regular ones. I clicked the adjuster a few times and put the drums back on. It was a little better still couldn’t panic stop. Pulled to the end of the drive and had my Nephew try to hold boost. The car flexed but the wheels broke nowhere near boost. I messed with the line lock. Same. When we came back from the track I pulled the drums to look for leaks that didn’t hit the ground. Nothing. Give me some more hints when you get a chance.
Thanks!
Art

Do you have 100% shoe contact on both shoes? (Front and back on both sides) If so your powermaster is not giving full pressure to the cylinders . You mentioned line lock ,if it’s plumed before the proportioning valve it can cause a imbalance to the rear wheel cylinder. I’m a little fuzzy on the exact dynamics of what goes on but the brake light will come on when you mash the breaks and activate the line lock. Front brakes do play a part in this too .They add resist to the foreword motion too .do the front tires look tike there rolling. Take a video.
I like my Powermaster brakes,most people go vacuum or hydro boost, I have not tried to rebuild one ,may have to someday.My pedal is a bit touchy with the S10 cylinders with light pedal pressure , but drivable. Must be supper carful in the rain.And harder than Chinese arithmetic when pushed hard not mushy.
I use the cheapest Raybestos brake shoe. I buy two sets and use the primaries, again a little more surface area don’t think it’s the secret ether.When I pull the street tires off the drums slide off, no drama plenty of clearance knock them on the ground to get the dust off and bolt the slicks on.