Should I buy this turbo?

JT'sV6

New Borg Warner t04b 57t t4 divided inlet with 1.15 a/r good for 350-500hp for $175.

I'm assuming the 1.15 a/r is for the exhaust dump and the inlet is smaller?? because for a single setup on my motor I need to go no bigger than a .83 a/r inlet so I have fairley good spool off the line.

here are some pics...I know I will have to modify a few things but have planed on that on my tt setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_0424.jpg
    IMG_0424.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 457
Without knowing your combo it's a difficult question to answer.

Why the BW? There are plenty of nasty turbos for sale in here including what the vendors have to offer.

Bigger the a/r and the more stock the motor the more spool up time required.

Cammed with port matched top end 3500stall. Nothing major. I was gonna build a twin tb0348 setup. If this turbo would work out on my setup I'd rather go single. The price is right since I'm doin a complete budget build. The goal is to run 6.95's in the 1/8th.

67 series turbos can get that done without sacrificing any spool up .

There are turbos smaller than a 67 out there with times quicker than 6.95 in the 1/8 mile, and not with the boost cranked up either. I've been 6.81 with the boost @ 22-23#, on a very rich tune.

Opinions on a 57t 1.15 turbine housing on a roller 210/218 cam, iron port matched head, 3500 stalled 109?

Why such a large turbine housing? A bifurcated housing doesn't mean much until you are pushing big volume and that means cubes.

I think an old 6131e could net you that et at 26lbs with your current set up.

Because it's new and the price is right. I will continue to look if you guys say this housing is to big. Thanks.

It's too big, unless you want to watch the competition get 3/4 track before you launch.

Thanks for the reply notacarlo.

I'm thinking this would be a great turbo for my goals if the housing wasnt so big. Gonna call race part solutions tomorrow when they reopen since they deal with bw and be turbo's and see about a different housing for it. What would be the max ar I'd want on this turbo? Thinking about .72-.83 ar

You are going through alot of trouble to save afew $'s. If you don't want to spend money, then sell the car. In the long run, being cheap costs more.

I've spent my fair share of money on this car. Nothing wrong with trying to save some $ on a turbo. I feel I've got the rest of the car squared away except for a built shortblock, better heads, and a roll cage.

With 1/8mile, you will need fast spool up. I went 7.13 in the 1/8 with a TE44 on a totally stock engine. Keep the cam small, a 206 or 212/206 roller max. I would go with a 6152 or 6169 turbo and a Precision .63 (Garrett .63 if possible) exhaust housing. Buying that cheap turbo will involve custom headers ($), custom down pipe ($), external wastegate ($). You can get a used turbo for around $450, use the stock headers, and buy a 3" internal wastegate downpipe.

You would need to convert your exhaust up pipe to a 4 bolt to use that. Not hard, just no need. GN's come with a .63 as are much of the replacement turbos unless you specify. .85 will have less back pressure, but street spool will suck.

What's the goal for the car? Street/strip? In this case you may want to talk to Mike Licht over at Full Throttle or Jack Cotton. They will certainly be able to steer you in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply notacarlo.

I'm thinking this would be a great turbo for my goals if the housing wasnt so big. Gonna call race part solutions tomorrow when they reopen since they deal with bw and be turbo's and see about a different housing for it. What would be the max ar I'd want on this turbo? Thinking about .72-.83 ar

I wouldn't put a $175 turbo on my Buick. I think it would end up costing me a dollar a foot when I realize the mistake.

I have a external wastegate already from a previous build. And Im a welder fabricator by trade so welding on a different inlet is no problemb.

Newb question...Whats this contraption called? (found the pic on a supra forum but the guy didnt list what it was called. just said it helped spool)

Attachments

• supra_2111_2704040.jpg
    supra_2111_2704040.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 255
A waste of money.

Used to cut off/ concentrate the exhaust stream to spool big turbines. It seems to me you are unintentionally going backwards with your build.

You need none of this stuff to go fast. You would need this stuff to go stupid fast. There's a gentleman on this site using one of those contraptions now and he's hunting for upper mid single digits.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to help. There is a sh!t ton of things that money needs to be spent on before you go building a motor that can propel you to 160 mph in a quarter mile.

Come up with a desired et, list your current mods in detail ( this includes electrical, transmission, rear end,etc...) and the experienced here will be able to help you reach your goal. Try not to go from a 13 second car to a 8 second car over night. It's a good way to find out that you aren't into Buicks as much as you thought.