shift rpm's (2 questions)

1fast6

1) I'm getting ready to install a TH350 with a manual VB and 3500 stall. At what rpm should I shift at WOT with my combo.

Stock 109
stock cam
stock heads
LT1 valve springs
TE44
42#inj.
alky

running between 22-25# boost.

2) Where do I hook up a shift light to these cars?

Thanks Jeff

With your stock combo, somewhere between 5,000-5,200 should be good.

Where do I hook up a shift light to these cars?

Thanks Jeff

By the alternator is a green connector that is unused. Goes there, at least with mine it did.:)

I am curious why you went to the TH350? What advantage does it have over the 200?

Thanks
Zack

With him running as close to stock as stated with limited upgrades, he's certainly not bringing harm to the 200-4R, so it must be the cheap seat factor/chevy thinking he'll out fox a 200 by manual shifting, mind you...I'm only guessing.

Kevin.

With him running as close to stock as stated with limited upgrades, he's certainly not bringing harm to the 200-4R, so it must be the cheap seat factor/chevy thinking he'll out fox a 200 by manual shifting, mind you...I'm only guessing.

Kevin.

I know he was having issues spooling the TE44. Maybe He got the trans cheaper than a new converter? Its going to kill gas mileage and top speed.. That 1.0 3rd versus the 0.67 4th in the 200 is going to be very different..

You hit the nail there, getting a converter for a 350/400 is vastly quicker/cheaper, please notice that I never included better.
The 350/400 converter market is flooded with possibilities to experiment with different stall speed configurations when cash is limited, but you are unlikely to find one that will last under the stress of a competitive turbo V6, face the facts that anyone preloading an engine against a converter to build "Boost" is seriously damaging their own pocketbook, if you can "load" and go spending less than 5 seconds against a converter before launch, you are way ahead of the game.
Spending more time than that just trying to build boost is more like frying your transmission under an open flame, but many probably do exactly this and expect them to live,....ain't gonna happen kids, at least not for very long.
Boost = torque,......learn to know how much torque you need for the launch of your desire, then build from there.
I will call you a fool if you think you need more than 15 lbs boost to launch a Turbo Regal using a 200-4R with 3.42's and not have the front wheels dangling, anymore is pure photoshop glory.
If you can't spool to 15 lbs in the count of three battleships, you've got issues under the hood:exhaust leaks pre-turbo, horribly tuned, or just way tooo big of a turbo for intended usage, ie: 8/9 second squeezebox on top of a stock long block.
Pure stock engine/turbos/converters have been known to go "wheels up" using nothing more than a transbrake and slicks(and some kind of engine restraint)
There is something for everyone when it comes to converters, just don't be stupid asking it to do something that it really shouldn't.
This converter overheating is what cause's most transmission problems, bar none.

Kevin.

The Turbo 350 and 200r are the the almost identiacal length so it's pretty much a just a swap. I think the OP got it so cheap he's deluded on it's benfits though. He'll be missing that 4th gear for sure. That stall is too much for a 44 imho. No idea how loose it will be on the top end either. Too much of a crap shoot for me.

I am curious why you went to the TH350? What advantage does it have over the 200?

Thanks
Zack

The only reason I went with a TH350 over sending my BRF out to have it bullet proofed was funding. I'm limited on $$ for the GN since
i'm in the middle of a camaro restoration. I don't want to give up driving the GN so when a friend called and said he has a good 350 with converter for 400 bucks I jumped at it.
I also have a transbrake left over from my last 350 so that will be going in as well.
Will I miss 4th/OD? I am sure I will however, I do 95% of my driving in 3rd anyways. Rarely do I get on a stretch of road where I need 4th.

I plan on getting with one of our vendors and purchasing everything I need to build the BRF when I have the time and $$... That's if I don't sell the car 1st:wink:

The advantage imo. is accessibility to parts. It's no secret that we are surrounded by chevy's and turbo 350/400's.
I might even like the 350 better and leave it in the car. As for pronto's statement about converter slippage... he's right. but if the converter is wrong for the combo it's alot easier and cheaper to find one that works when running a 350 instead of the 200.
With phenix converters being down the street it's very easy and affordable to have it restalled. Or just
calling some of my chevy friends from the track.

it's like everything else on this site. you will have supporters and non supporters. that's what makes this hobby great....