Selecting a turbo

Unknownhero80

Looking to upgrade my turbo. What would work best on the street. Details on my setup in my signature.

It seems most guys with ported heads go with a 6262. If you’re looking for quicker spool up for roll racing or autocross maybe a double or triple ball bearing unit.

On a side note, straight through mufflers free up some HP and a more modern Turbo Tweak chip is better with today’s fuel formulations. The Turbo Tweak chip is tunable when used with a Scanmaster as well.

Looking to upgrade my turbo. What would work best on the street. Details on my setup in my signature.
I can't see your sig.
List your combo
With the street goals
Maybe just pm me as alot of street combos are of a private matter😉

1. That convertor won't pass the increased HP/torque to the rear wheels worth a damn.

2. You'll need more than a Transgo shift kit at an increased HP level.

3. Powerlogger.

4. Turbotweak chip. I have vids on how to adjust it if you're new to this.

Your chip and fuel system needs to be updated, did you max out the 49? they go a long way and spool dam quick

I've owned the for 25 years but have had it stored away. Looking to get it out again and be able to hang with the new cars. The trans was fully built to hold up to a 9 second car with may 10,000 miles on it. The setup was done about 10 years ago. I've been out of the turbo game for awhile and figured there was better parts. I had already plan on a turbotweak chip and scanmaster.

Get flow matched 60s or 80s injectors from Turbotweak as well, call Husek for a 9.5" converter spec'd to your combo, your going to need a new fuel pump and an Alky system to turn up the boost.
A properly spec'd ta49 combo will hang with any stock Modern muscle car out there today.

Also change out the chambered flowmasters for some straight through design mufflers

My converter was spec'd out by Dusty Bradford.
For a TA49 turbo. 6262 is a different animal & will probably need a updated/restalled converter.

Scanmaster is good for data. May look into a Powerlogger for tuning purposes. I also like my wideband a lot, which I didn’t see listed.

To directly answer your question I suggest the PTE 6062. It spools faster than the 6262 and makes more power than a 6262. I have used the following turbos on ported iron stock stroke engines. PTE units, 5831-5858-6262-6266-6466-6766-7080.

I can't see your sig.
List your combo
With the street goals
Maybe just pm me as alot of street combos are of a private matter😉

Here’s a screenshot of his sig.
IMG_4795.jpeg

The top and bottom are tight, but all info is there.

if it's been sitting around for say 9 years take it from someone in this very situation in 2018, get the car back in top shape first. I spent over a year just restoring issues from the past and sitting, the $ bag was big.

Then with your mods consider HPT turbos and ditching the whole actuator or waiting for Comp hubless and just blast away on a CT4X 58/58 that pumps out power beyond a 6266. Street beast and it'll be fun, you'll need traction tech after this.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I know the ta49 is good for about 500hp. Now after reading your comments I might just stick with the 49 and get a better chip and supporting mods. I like how fast the 49 comes on. Just trying to keep up with my friends 600hp gmc.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I know the ta49 is good for about 500hp. Now after reading your comments I might just stick with the 49 and get a better chip and supporting mods. I like how fast the 49 comes on. Just trying to keep up with my friends 600hp gmc.
Weight is on your side and its free Hp.