sealed power oil pump kit???

sick GN

Has anyone used the sealed power high performance/volume oil pump kit? Did it help oil pressure at idle at all??? Trying to decide between this one and the melling kit... just wanted to know if anyone had experience with either and how it affected oil pressure

Thanks
Jeremy

Probably the same parts. Seems like feeling Federal Mogul makes the pumps for Melling.

Going HV is just a waste of horsepower with extra heat and load on the front cam bearings and timing chain.

My oil pressure is low at idle when it warms up... like 10psi... the motor does have 120k miles on it tho... just thinking maybe one of these kits can help the idle pressure... it goes up with rpm just fine tho

If the Sealed Power gears are longer than stock and use a spacer plate, this is not going to solve your oil pressure issue at idle or cruise.

We have never used the longer gears, and having done hundreds of engine builds with stock gears, we always have excellent oil pressure at idle and RPM. :)

At rpm oil pressure is ok... any suggestions as to what I can do to boost pressure at idle?? I hear that 10psi at idle is actually normal for a stock high mileage motor... but I'd like it higher if possible

My oil pressure is low at idle when it warms up... like 10psi... the motor does have 120k miles on it tho... just thinking maybe one of these kits can help the idle pressure... it goes up with rpm just fine tho

so whats the problem you are trying to fix? 10psi at idle really isnt a problem
the low oil pressure dash light is set to come on if pressure drops below 4psi

what are your coolant temps?

Coolant temp was about 195... have a ramcharger setup on its way right now... want to get it down to about 180 max... I do have a huge front mount that might be hurting it a bit... but honestly I just figured with 120k on the stock pump a rebuild wouldn't hurt it and might boost my idle pressure a bit... just wondering what could be done if anything about it...

With the temps you are running I would say the oil pressure is normal for the mileage on the motor. You didn't mention what kind of oil you are running. As long as the oil pressure comes up normally with rpm I wouldn't worry about it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Are you running the engine oil cooler? The oil cooler will help psi?
What weight oil?
As mentioned 10 psi in gear at idle at 195 degrees with everything heat soaked isn't abnormal.

.......... but honestly I just figured with 120k on the stock pump a rebuild wouldn't hurt it and might boost my idle pressure a bit... just wondering what could be done if anything about it...

You have yet to post details on the oil you are using?

And yes I am still running the factory oil cooler... my 87gn has a fresh rebuild and I guess I'm just use to it being at 20psi hot at idle...

To narrow it down further. What front cover...new or used? Who built oil pump?
What is the endplay on pump gears?
If a used cover...then is the gear pocket where the face of the gears ride free of gouges/scoring, etc?
Cover ported?
Freeze plugs to left and right of cam bores or threaded plugs ?
Bearing clearance in engine?

You can use a yellow pump spring
This will give u a few psi

This is good info. Watch !!!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

With 120,ooo on the engine you have anohter 100,000 left in it easy. 10psi at idle is fine. Right now you need to concenrate on getting your coolant temps under control.

Keep in mind, if it's 200 or so in the radiator, your oil cooler might actually act as an oil heater.

and like asked above, what brand cover do you have, is it ported and/or who built it?

I have a 1986 GN with a completely stock longblock and I have a 1987 GN with a fresh rebuild...